Info on S&W model 10

FireForged

I picked up a nice model 10 from the local gun shop and found it a little curious. I was wondering if any of you S&W gurus might know anything about it (year and such). I have never seen one in nickel with a 5" barrel.

Smith Wesson
Model 10-5
Barrel 5"
Finish Nickel
ejector open(uncovered)
serial # D1XXXX

Baba Louie

Mfg in '68

Tell you about it? How about you telling us how it shoots? I bet it shoots quite well. Maybe a photo or two? Nickel finish? Hows it holding up?

BillCA

Your model 10-5 is a fine specimen of a basic, no frills revolver - except for the "fancy" nickel finish of course.

The revolver is a 6-shot, all steel, fixed sighted .38 Special revolver that can trace it's lineage directly back to the S&W Model of 1899 - the first double action revolver with a swing-out cylinder chambered for the .38 Special.

It's long history includes not only protecting civilians at home, but riding in thousands of police holsters around the world. Available with barrel lengths of 2, 4, 5 and 6 inches this revolver is almost as common as a telephone. In fact, in some parts of the country before WW-II, there were likely people who had a Model 10 before they had a telephone!

In 1941, the Model 10 - then simply called the Military & Police Model - went to war. S&W made one million revolvers for the war effort. Many of these were parkerized or phosphate coated and included a lanyard ring in the butt. The serial numbers started with a "V", hence they were also called "Victory Models". The Victory models were also produced for the British military in .38 S&W caliber or .38/200 as the British called it. Many of these returned stateside after the war and were bored out to .38 Special and refinished. My father bought one in 1948 for the princely sum of $33 shipped to his door by USPS! Some of the .38 S&W revolvers found their way to holsters of security guards at factories producing war materiel.

The military continued to purchase the M&P models up through the late 1950's for such things as security and military police duties. It continued to be one of the most common police revolvers until about the mid/late 1960's.

Probably more .38 Special M&P/Model 10's sit "guard duty" in nightstands or desk drawers than any other revolver. It's simple design and operation make it easy to use for novice gun owners. The cartridge is effective enough to drive off or stop an intruder without undue recoil or noise.

Postwar M&P's carried a "C" serial number prefix until about 1967 when the "D" prefix began. About the same time the half-round front sight was changed to a serrated ramp cut from the half-round, making it unique to that model series.

Here's a blued cousin to your 5" Nickel specimen. This one is from 1969 and is virtually unfired.
M10M_1428.jpg

And a more "business end" view. :D
M10M_1450.jpg

The five inch barrel has always been my favorite. It balances better than the 6-inch and gives a little more "feel" to your aim than the 4-inch version. It also has a "balanced" appearance that is graceful looking.

With yours having a nickel finish you will want to avoid using any powder solvents containing ammonia or any bore cleaners touted as "copper cutting". These agents can work beneath the nickel plating and cause it to blister and peel. Products like Breakfree CLP, FP-10 and Weapons Shield should be safe products for cleaning your revolver. To protect the nickel finish, wipe it free of any oil residue and sparingly apply a good carnuba wax (Johnson's paste wax works fine, so does Flitz Rifle/Gun wax). Let it dry and buff it off. Avoid any wax products containing abrasives as they may scratch the finish.

absolute0

Bill that's an awfully nice looking revolver! I'd like to have a look at that 4" nickel job too...

Elegant simplicity.

BillCA

Thanks, Absolute.

The Model 10 with the 5-inch barrel just seems so elegant and well balanced. Maybe it's because I learned to shoot on an old 5-inch Victory model and I'm nostalgic. :cool:

They're high-speed, low drag. Nothing to get in the way of it's basic mission as a lead-projector. :D

tedwhite

I carried a 6" Model 10 daily as a Kern County deputy sheriff in California. Best shooting, most accurate, best trigger of any gun I've owned since.

My partner had the 5" Model 10 and I liked its balance better and it was just as accurate at 25 yards. As BillCA said, it had an elegant look to it as well.

I'm currently looking for a 5" Model 10 or a 19-5.

The only S&W I've got at present is an older Model 36 Chief's Special round butt. I added rosewood grips and a T-grip and carry it in a Bianchi IWB. Top notch in terms of concealability. Only thing that beats it in that category is a Kel Tec P3AT. Sure it's got two more rounds, but it's got no class.