Info on Maverick 88's

Georgian

Hey yall. I was thinking about getting a pump shotgun for HD and little odds and ends, and was looking at different brands. What made me interested in the Mavericks was the price, as I am on a VERY limited budget, around $300. Any opinions on this shotgun would be greatly appreciated.

Skeetin'870

remington 870 HD 296 out the door.... nuff said much much more reliable than the maverick series
Not true rugerdudes maverick 88 has had no failures of any kind.
My 870 cannot say the same shotty do you have both can you say.
If price is a serious issue get the maverick but if you like the feel but want dedicated HD get the 500 persuader 228.83 out the door at academy and it came with a pistol grip if that is your cup of tea

rugerdude

The maverick is a fine gun! The 6 shot HD model is 150 bucks here and is very little different from the mossberg 500. The only part that does not interchange is the trigger group.

It is a mossberg 500 that was put together by cheaper labor and has a simplified forend. The reason that the trigger group does not interchange is because on the maverick, the safety is on front of the trigger guard and on the mossy it is on the back of the reciever. However, both guns are mossbergs, because maverick is owned by mossberg.

On the super cheap: Maverick 88, I have had 0 failures of any kind and I have ~800 rounds through it including some buckshot and slugs. For paying only 140 bucks for it, It was well worth it.

For a little more: Mossberg persuader, great gun nice and short and comes with a pistol grip (however, for HD a stock is probably better unless you become proficient with the PG)

For almost your entire budget: Remington 870 HD, can't say a whole lot about it 'cause I don't own one. I have shot a few, but I like the mossbergs ergonomics better.
regardless of the gun you actually get, MAKE SURE YOU SHOOT IT! if you save some cash, spend a little on ammo and take it to the range and get a feel for it. An HD gun is not much use when you don't know how to use it.

My maverick has been 100 pecent reliable so I don't see how a rem. 870 can beat 100 percent reliability.

unclestu

IMO, the Maverick offers great bang for the buck. Academy Sports here sells the 5+1 capacity, blue steel, 28" bbl with replaceable choke tubes & vent rib, black synthetic stock, for $139 all the time. The same gun, but with 18 1/2" plain cyl bore barrel instead of the 28", costs $150. Must be economy of scale!

Mine has the full length 7+1 magazine tube, 20" cyl bore bbl, silver finish with black synthetic stock(Mariner?). Got it lightly used about 10 yrs ago, with about $45 worth of ammunition, for a great price. Shop around, you might find something similar.

deputy tom

Georgian,I've owned 88's,Moss 500's,Rem.870's,Winch.1200's,Savages,etc.I prefer the Moss.500 series but the Maverick 88 will do just fine.The 870's are nice too but I truely feel the Moss.500 is the best bang for the buck.Don't forget to look at used ones as I know of a Moss.500A that was sold at a gunshow four months ago for $100.00 and it was in excellent condition too.YMMV.tom. :cool:

I have to agree with Rugerdude and the others. I've used several shotguns, but the one that shoots the best for ME turned out to be a $150 Maverick! It took me a while to warm up to the idea, but it's the only shotgun I hunt/shoot with these days.

mtnboomer

Yup, love my Mav 88, too. Only thing was I had to replace the synthetic butt stock with a wooden 500 butt because the original was too low in the comb for me.

foghornl

I have owned & operated a Maverick 88 for 15 years. Have both the 28" mod choke barrel for general hunting use, and the 18-1/2" for 'Homeland Security' purposes. I have put just as much game on the table as my brothers with their much more expensive Rem 1100/870 Wingmaster.

Am I willing to bet my hide on my Maverick 88 in a "Things go BUMP! in the night" scenario? I do every day...24/7/365

I would love to have a classic 870 Wingmaster, but it just doesn't "fit" me right.

p.s. I bought my Maverick 88 in 1990 for less than my brother spent buying his 1100 in 1969.

mac762

maverics have a better safety for p-grips

I've owned several mossbergs. Maverics and 500's, I prefer the Maveric because of the great location"compared to the 500" of the safety. The 500's is akward with a pistol grip, but better with a conventional stock. I like the extra smoothness if the steel on steel of the 500's pump. I had a 500 that I sawed the stock down to the pistol grip style. It worked well with the safety and the recoil was a lot easier to take. I had a persuader that I got in a trade for a regular maveric because mine had the stock and his did'nt. I bought a stock as soon as I was able. A maveric with a chote foldeer would be the cats ass. And a side saddle shell holder. That's all you should need + practice with the ammo you'll be using. Double 00 and slugs, are worlds different than birdshot. You should be able to pick up either used for a little more than $100. Not many people shoot enough to were em' out and they slick up the action for you to boot. Don't be afraid of a used gun.

Danzig

I have to agree with most of the posters on this thread...The Maverick is a good solid gun. It is the one and only shotgun that I own and I have never been tempted to buy another...well except for maybe a Serbu "Super Shorty".

Alfa One

I've got a Maverick T88 and loving it. The others are as good, maybe better. But for the price you can buy a Maverick, there is nothing better