Info on Dan Wesson .44 Mag Needed

Grapeshot

I just traded for a very nice blued .44 mag. Dan Wesson with the 8" heavy-lug vent-rib barrel. This is my first DW, so I have some questions though.

First, where do they put the model number? It was made in Manson, Mass., but seems to have no model number anywhere on the gun. Perhaps I am just not looking in the right place. Inside the frame where Smith and Wesson puts the model number, there are some funny-looking markings but I don't think they're letters or numerals.

Second, where do I find some other barrels and shrouds for it? I went to DW's latest website and they don't seem to have a price list for barrels. I wouldn't mind buying a cheap used barrel. Specifically, I want the 4". I also need some feeler guages.

Third, where can I find directions for changing the barrel? I'd just call DW, but I wonder if my model is too old for their new manual to be relevant? Fortunately, I do have the multi-tool DW provides with each revolver.

Lastly, is there a way to find out when my gun was made?

Also, if anybody knows why these guns are so under-valued on the used market, please chime in. I can't believe what a bargain I got, it seems extremely high-quality. Are there any problems with these guns to cause such low values?

I'll be shooting it tomorrow.

JOEE

Please donot think me a smartass......but I think you should have answered the questions you asked BEFORE you did the deal......

Shmackey

Why? Maybe he traded an ironing board for it--in which case, would you check the model, or take the Wesson and run? The only thing I'm surprised he doesn't know is the model number. The barrel-switching thing is pretty esoteric.

bosco

don't worry JOEE, I'm sure Grapeshot already has a wife or girlfriend to nag him already

Have no fear Grape as you have now entered revolver perfection and bosco will give you all the needed links w/prices

boring standard barrels.......(yawn).........-
http://www.danwessonfirearms.com/cba.htm

ULTRA COOL compensated barrels (bosco recomends a 4")-
http://www.danwessonfirearms.com/ccba.htm

for the rest of your important insightfull questions-
http://www.danwessonfirearms.com/faq.htm

as to the percieved under-value-
http://www.who knows?? ..............but who cares! enjoy!!

JOEE

For give me for beinging such an *******,I was only passing on the things us elders have been thru!!!!!

Grapeshot

Thanks a bunch, Bosco, the links helped a lot. I don't think my Internet was working well yesterday when I tried to find some of this info on my own.

I am seriously hoping this revolver functions ok and shoots as well as I think it can. There's always that sinking feeling (post-trade worry) that you got such a good deal for a reason.

One thing that has me worried, even though I did Jim March's revolver check-out, is that I later discovered a tiny hole in the frame behind the top aspect of the recoil shield. It's as if something goes in there, like a teeny pin, but nothing seems to be in there. Hopefully it won't matter. On the other hand, it's probably a missing pin holding the firing pin in place or something.

Other than that, the only odd thing I notice is that when I cock it in SA the hammer seems to require more strength out of my thumb than I'm used to. No excess cylinder drag is evident, so I'm hoping it's just a heavier spring set-up. Double action is very, very smooth, with a stacking at the end as if they wanted you to be able to "stage" the trigger (which is just fine by me).

As you indicate, I think this is a real revolver-man's revolver. The more I study on it, the more I appreciate its user-friendly, sturdy design. I've gone through many a revolver looking for the last one I'll ever buy, and I think the Dan Wesson is finally it.

I will report on my shooting experiences.

Thanks guys!

stans

Unless somebody really tried hard to abuse this gun, it should be just fine. The Dan Wesson 44 was one of the strongest 44 Magnums ever to be manufactured. They also tend to be very accurate. New barrels are available from Dan Wesson as are the barrel changing tool and feeler gauge. Unfortunately, Dan Wesson's do not hold their value well, they are very under rated by the general shooting community.

Those people that have them and know what they have usually treasure them. Those that have never owned a Dan Wesson just don't understand what they are and thier capabilities. Years ago I had a Dan Wesson model 15-2, blue, 357 Magnum with a 6 inch heavy vent barrel and a 8 inch standard barrel. It was far more accurate than I was and I traded it for a computer in a moment of utter stupidity.

Enjoy your new toy and if you ever have trouble with that gun, Dan Wesson will fix it. They have some of the best customer support in the firearms industry.

Grapeshot

Thanks Stans.

After shooting it a little today (in the rain), I can understand the rabid loyalty of DW owners. This is a very, very accurate gun that performed exactly like I wanted with no problems whatsoever. The previous owner had even sighted it in perfectly.

Right at the end of my shooting session, I put 3 260 gr. Winchester SP's into just under 1"; I wanted to shoot a 6-shot group but it started raining too hard. Other loads grouped around 2" for 6 shots at 25 yds, but I could tell that the gun wanted to do better were it not for my shooting. On and off it kept raining and light conditions kept changing rapidly. Also, it took me a while to realize that sandbagging the heavy barrel would produce better groups. The sole change I will make to the gun will be to widen the rear notch in its adjustable sight. It is awfully small, and it gave me fits trying to see light bars on either side of my string-bean front sight.

Needless to say, I didn't really expect much accuracy at all not having settled into the new gun, but was pleasantly surprised. I'd say the right load will put 6 shots into one hole, exactly what I've been looking for in a .44.

Incidentally, the weight of that 8" heavy barrel is a blessing more than a curse, like most people think. This is the most fun-to-shoot .44 Mag. I've ever had, thanks to the light recoil. 240 gr. SP's were snappy but not at all impolite, and 180 gr. Federals felt like .38 +P's. Some .44 Special reloads kicked like light .38 wadcutters. Accurate double-action shooting with a .44 mag. has now become an attainable goal (though still a somewhat difficult one).

First impression - I think I'm hooked. I've got to have some more barrels, this is just too good to be true. I've just never seen a more utterly-configurable sixgun, with so many extra little features making it fun and easy to work with and modify. Even taking the grips off is made easy, just the way it should be. And the use of Allen screws is marvelous, I've been wondering for years why more companies don't do this.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

caz223

One of the really nice things about DWs right now is that they're undervalued.
On the used market, these can be had for a song.
Most shoot like a million bucks.

tex_n_cal

And DW also made a few revolvers in the .445 Supermag caliber, a stretched .44 mag. As I recall, they got about 200 fps more than a standard .44 mag with the same weight bullet. Huge, huge revolver, but a gem for accuracy & power.

I had a .357 mag M15-2vh years ago, and wish I still had it.:( There is one at the local shop on consignment, and I am eyeing it carefully;)

Grapeshot

Thanks for the input Caz and Tex,

Three days ago I couldn't resist any longer and E-mailed Wesson Arms to see how much a 4" barrel would cost. I sent it late that night, and at 8:30 the next morning I checked and already had a response.

I got the 4" barrel assembly for $133, and can't wait for it to arrive in the next 2 weeks. I'd post on TFL, but it won't get here in time. I guess somewhere out there in cyberspace I'll post re: its performance.

I'm delighted with my Dan Wesson.

JAMES L.SMITH

Any one else who needs parts try Bob at 850-944-6861.He is selling off all his D.W.part at half price.Also check Gun List.I bought a 6"barel set for $90.from him,new.

Bill Adair

Grapeshot,

Welcome to the Dan Wesson fan club. :D

That small hole in your frame is the firing pin retaining pin, so look a little closer to see if there is a recessed pin in there. I think your firing pin and firing pin spring, would fall out if it were missing?

I bought a DW model 15-2 in .357 magnum, with a 6" barrel, about 26 years ago. Paid a whopping $109 delivered, and kick myself for not buying the .22, and 44 as well. :(

It has many thousands of rounds of hand loads, some so stout that they are no longer listed in reloading manuals, and continues to be my favorite, and most accurate revolver.

A couple of things I've noted with mine, might be of interest.

1. The chambers are very tight, and over crimping hand loads (causing even the slightest case bulge), made loading difficult.

2. Lead build up in the chambers (if you shoot lead), has also caused me some loading problems.

3. My cylinder latch spring is on the weak side, so I keep my cylinder latch, and the slot it rides in spotlessly clean.

This gun embarrasses me at times, because when it doesn't shoot like the precision instrument it is, there is no one to blame but myself! :( :) :D

Though I still have the factory .006" cylinder gap gauge, my gap can be set tighter than that, with no problem. Buy a gauge set at your local auto parts store, and try a smaller gap to see how your revolver functions. Too tight and the cylinder may drag, or crud up too soon.

I picked up a 9 blade gauge set for a couple bucks, that has .002 through .006 blades, an .008 blade, and a couple in the .020 to 025 range.

Shot another fellows DW 44 mag one time, and he complained that the barrel kept unscrewing while he was shooting. Turned out to be a cracked barrel nut that looked normal while confined in it's slot.

My barrel nut was last adjusted over twenty years ago, and has held it's setting though many thousands of rounds! It doesn't have to be tightened till it cracks, but I snug it down tight with the small wrench that came with the gun.

I'd love to mount a handgun scope on the DW, but I just refuse to drill holes in my still new looking revolver. I hope to find a beater shroud some day, to mount a scope on. I'm curious about just how accurate this wonderful revolver can be?

Best of luck with yours. I'm still looking for my 22, and 44, made in Monson MA. :)

Bill

Grapeshot

How kind of you to reply, Bill, and thanks for the advice.

I did look more closely at the little hole and it indeed appears to have a roll pin in there.

I actually have not taken the barrel nut out, kinda seems like I should have before I made the trade. I will be anxious to examine it when my other barrel arrives and I take the 8" tube off. As for guages, I hope the .002 one will be sufficient as that's all I ordered from DW, who only stocks it and a .006" guage, which is too big to be useful to me.

Shooting mine only makes me want to go out and snatch up all the other DW's I can find and horde them. I don't know why it took me so long to come around to Dan Wesson.

Bill Adair

Grapeshot,

Your welcome.

The .002 gauge may be a bit tight, but there is no way to tell until you try it on your gun, with the ammo that you use.

Set it at .002, and go shooting. If the cylinder drags after too few rounds to suit you, it only takes a minute to back the barrel out a hair, and try again. (Your call, as some people don't mind cleaning after every box of ammo. :) )

Also, if the gun is slightly out of time it can spit lead or copper, which may bind up the cylinder prematurely, so this is something you have to play by ear. Some revolvers require larger gaps than others, but most of them work at .006, which is why I think the factory .006 gauge was the only one supplied with the Monson MA guns.

Dan Wesson has had mixed reviews over the years, and changed hands a few times to boot. Generally, the Monson MA guns are very high quality, as the late Dan B. Wesson was still at the helm, and ran a tight ship.

Don't know why the DW did not catch on, but I suspect that the sheer size of the guns, and the totally different cylinder latch location, put many people off. Smith and Wesson was king of the roost at the time, so I'm sure many people thought DW was a cheap rip off. The ungainly barrel nut used on the very first guns didn't exactly help either. :barf:

In any case, the accuracy of Dan Wesson revolvers is legendary.

The new Dan Wesson is also said to be high quality, as they have switched from the old manufacturing methods, to the newest technology of computer numerical controlled (CNC) machining.

Proper hand fitting is still hard to beat from a shooters standpoint, but I'd venture to say that a much higher percentage of out of the box guns work perfectly these days.

All this is hearsay, mind you. :D

Bill