Inexpensive trap gun (prefer 20 guage)

dfaugh

Been shooting as a 'guest' for a while now, at the range my buddy belongs to(Rifle and Pistol only)...But for my birthday, one of my best friends is getting me a membership to another range that's closer, and they also have a trap (and skeet) range. I USED to be really good at trap, although its been many years since I shot trap. The only shotty I currently have is an HD Mossberg w/ 20' cylinder barrel (less than ideal for trap). So I'm in the market for a new shotgun, so I can do a little trap shooting. Prefer 20 guage (that's what I used to use, adn due to seperating my shoulder a coupla years agao, I'm abit recoil sensitive) and I've never owned a double, so I think an O/U would be cool.
Won't be competing, just shooting for fun. VERY tight budget, so I'm looking for something suitable, but inexpensive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

wallingdad

I wanted to get one of the Stoeger 310's in .410 gauge. I inquired to several dealers and all told me that there would not be another run on the .410's for at least 3 months. what a bummer! I did not inquire to the other gauges though.

Big Yac

I have no idea what price range they are in but I shot a Verona (20ga) a few weeks ago and it was a pretty nice gun. All my shotguns are 12ga so I really am not that up to date on 20ga guns.

taralon

The Gander Mountain in Denver still has several Stoeger .410s sitting on their shelves last week. You might want to check around at some of the larger dealers as they might still have stock.

auto45

You might consider a 12 gauge since the gun is heavier and you can shoot reduce loads(20 gauge level) in the 12, and have a better pattern with the same amount of shot.

A heavier 12 gauge O/U will have much less recoil, with a 20 gauge type load, than a 20 gauge O/U...trust me on that. :)

IMHO, for clay target shooting, the 20 gauge has little value. The 12 does everything a 20 can do and better. The 20 is great for hunting.

Jim Watson

Remington 1100, 11-87, or Beretta 3xx auto 12 gauge.
A one ounce 12 ga load in a gas operated auto will be softer to fire than a 20 ga O/U.

Leif

Is that correct about the recoil of a 12 gauge autoloader being less than that of a 20 gauge double? I've been looking for a 12 gauge for myself, but would like to have something that my petite SO could use without suffering too much from the recoil. I figured I would have to get two different shotguns.

I've never fired an autoloader shotgun, only pumps and breechloaders (single and double), so advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

auto45

Since 20 gauge O/U's are usually lighter, any 12 gauge will recoil less with similiar loads.
Gas autos are softer still, felt recoil anyway...in the same weight gun.

Many people feel the gas autos have the least amount of "recoil" of anything out there. Maybe/maybe not. I've shot several Beretta's that, I doubt weighed more than 7 3/4 lbs, that recoiled more, to me, than an 8 1/4- 8 1/2 lb O/U.

But, that's why they call it "FELT recoil". :)

JoeG52

Auto45 is right. I've been shooting 7/8 oz loads in the 12 ga for a long time. Less recoil than a 20 ga.