Inexpensive Scope for Savage Edge: Bushnell Banner or Simmons 44 Mag?

Mercenary

I recently picked up a Savage Edge in 308 at the local Wal Mart for just under $270. Now I am looking for a high zoom scope for target shooting and I have found the Simmons 44 Mag 6-24x44mm and Bushnell Banner 6-24x40mm both of which are under $200. I am not looking to spend a lot on a scope so Leupolds, Nikons, etc are out of the question for this rifle. This is just a fun-shooting, inexpensive rilfe.

Of the two listed, which is better? Would they be able to withstand the recoil of a 308?

Doyle

Neither. Save a little more and get a scope that will serve you better. In the Bushnell line, the Trophy is as low as I would ever go. Simmons is totally out.

Is there any reason you are looking at a 6-24 scope? That is a pretty extreme magnification if you aren't going to be hitting the 1000yd range on a regular basis. If you drop down to a more normal magnification you can get much more scope for your money.

chadstrickland

This is the way it was explained to me. Optics have surpassed rifles by a long shot. You can take a 12k rifle and throw a cheap scope on there and you have a really nice, state of the art deer rifle. However you can stick a nightforce on the rifle you got a wally world and get 110% percent from that said rifle, or heck even a masin nagat. Point is, save and save some more. Put the very best optics on your rifle you can afford, you will not regret it.

tAKticool

It's odd because while i've purchased two Nikon ProStaffs (both 4-12x40mms, one 'NikoPlex one BDC reticles') I am actually a huge Bushnell fan. the Nikons were just good deals at the time... But Bushnell is the truth. I got a Bushnell Rimfire 3-9x40 on my Savage Mark II GXP from Dicks, it was AWESOME- the only reason I had to ditch it was because it fell over at the range and injured itself, and it -would- still zero but wouldnt hold zero, and I hated having to start over each range session. Anyway it was REALLY Good, for basic uses anyways.

I hear that Savage like 'accidentially' ? used these scopes, but almost immediately started using 4X scopes. These may or maybe not are as good, but the Rimfire 3-9 was awesome. I hear that Elite 3200 10x is great, I bought the ProStaffs cause they were good values, and I kept WANTING to buy those closeout Elite 4200 scopes, and kept wanting more expensive wants... I couldnt settle for a 3200 at $189, I was all the way up to $400 4200s and just couldnt settle on a cheaper one, and wound up wiith those Nikon ProStaffs.

Anyway the Bushnells are great.

sc928porsche

Of the two, Bushnells optics are a little clearer. Both gather light about the same even though Simmons is a 44 and Bushnell is a 40. 40 can still be mounted with low rings but 44 requires medium. The bushnell will hold up to the recoil of 300WM easily but could be a bit much for the Simmons (had one fail on a 7 mm mag.). A lot of my rifles have bushnell on them and they have served me well.