Inexpensive car/truck gun

irish52084

Let's skip the arguments over whether leaving a gun in my car is a good idea. I can't carry at work and it has to stay in my car while I work and it may spend several days there at a time.

My employer doesn't allow carry while on the clock or on company property, so I park off their lot and leave my pistol at home or in my car. My problem is, I don't like leaving my pistol in the car if it's worth more than or close to my deductible. I saw that J&G sales has S&W model 64 38spl DAO revolvers for about $250 and I have a burning desire to buy myself a Christmas present. i guess what I'm asking is: What other options would I have in the sub $300 range?

My list so far:
S&W 59 , 5904 Found both locally for my price and am now intrigued.
S&W model 64 DAO
CZ 82, but I have one already and my wife would kill me if I kept it full time.
Ruger P series??? Heard good and bad, but no personal experience.

I'm sure I could get a taurus or Rossi in my budget, but I hear to many horror stories, except the pt92, to really feel comfortable buying one.

Last edited:

irish52084

A new j-frame would be too small for my application. I don't enjoy shooting small revolvers and it doesn't need to be concealed on me for more than the walk to and from my car in the morning and evening.

I should stress that $300 is my top price for this application. More than $300 would put me above my deductible for personal property theft.

Whats the difference between a model 10 and a model 64, Other than the DAO of the 64's I'm looking at?

irish52084

I'll pass on hi-point. They work just fine from everything I've seen, but they don't really fit my hand well and they feel a bit clumsy to me.

ccSnoopycc

For $300 you can get a Ruger P95 (awesome gun for the money) or an S&W sigma series semi auto. J & G have a Taurus trade in special going on for their model 82s. They are going for $150 for that cash you can get two. Truly if you are looking for a cheap beater truck gun J&G is probably the main FFL you will find for your gun. They have over 40 different flavors of handguns for under $300.

glenncal1

"Whats the difference between a model 10 and a model 64, Other than the DAO of the 64's I'm looking at?"

10's are blued and 64's are stainless. For what you are stating about your needs a 64 is probably better choice. You can find 64's that aren't DAO if that is an issue for you.

irish50284 said:
I should stress that $300 is my top price for this application. More than $300 would put me above my deductible for personal property theft.
So what?

Do you understand what a "deductable" means? It means if the item is stolen, you pay the first $300 of value and the insurance company pays the rest. If you lose a $300 firearm, you get nothing from insurance. If you lose a $3000 firearm, you pay the first $300 and you receive $2700 from the insurance company.

spacecoast

My car gun is a 1975 vintage S&W 10-5 snubby (K-frame) .38 special that I consider ideal for the application. The nickel finish is a little tired but it shoots great and fits both my hand and my center console perfectly. I believe in using the largest gun that will fit the situation to maximize shooting comfort and minimize recoil. A K-frame snubby is a treat to shoot. You should be able to find one fairly easily for under $300.

Note - if you live in heat and humidity like I do, use nickel-cased ammo. Brass tends to turn green and stick in the cylinder after a while.

DSC01928.jpg

Older picture wearing different grips:

DSC01429.jpg

C0untZer0

What exactly is a "car gun" ?

What exactly is inexpensive?

Sounds like you want to buy a gun and you're saying you have a "need" to keep a firearm in your car/truck to justify it.

WVsig

Get another CZ82... you already have Mak ammo for your other one and it is the best value of the bunch. You can still get them OTD for under $175. The DA trigger is as nice as some guns cost 4X as much, HK cough :eek:, and the SA is fine.

At this price you do not have to worry about it. Yeah it has a crappy finish but what does it really matter. + you are already familar with the gun.

Don H

You could always get a small safe and attach it to your car to put your cheap gun into to lessen the chance off arming a thug who may possibly use your gun to injure or kill someone.

Mrgunsngear

For your budget, I'd get either a Ruger P95, or if you want it to be compact, Taurus 709 slim. The 709 is a very underrated gun IMO because it's a Taurus. Mine has been extremely reliable and durable.

spacecoast

As the OP explained, like many of us he can't carry at work. That doesn't mean we have to be unarmed driving to and from work, or wherever we stop on the way to/from, does it?

Not wanting to leave a $1,000 gun in a car where it could be stolen by a criminal from a locked car is perfectly understandable. If there's a chance of running into those folks in the parking lot, I'd much rather have a gun nearby. If there's no chance, then the gun is perfectly safe anyway. I'd much rather take a chance on losing a gun than being robbed/beaten/killed because I lacked one.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but this "no car guns" attitude seems pretty shortsighted. The problem is the criminals, not the tools of their trade.