Inexpensive 9mm

wstein

Hey ya'll,

I am looking for ideas for a 9mm semi. Gun show is in town this weekend, and I have the itch for a new gun and I have a few extra $'s in my bank this week. Looking at the 9mm since I don't own one.

I don't care if it is new or used, as this will be primarily a range gun. I have a hard ceiling of $450.

I was thinking a Taurus PT111/S&W 659/Kahr CW9/etc. I would like to get a XD9/M&P 9/Sig P240, depending if I can find one in my price range. I might consider a glock.

Anywho, any other guns I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance.
P

Red_Eagle

You should be able to get an ex-German army Walter P-1 for that price. It's a post war P-38. Mine has been very reliable.

jaughtman

Agree....

with above post - but will add that just about any used cz - 75, 85, or the "B"'s would be an excellent choince!

range19

I like my Taurus Pt111 Mil Pro. It's my primary CCW because it's easy to conceal and fits my hand well. I like my S&W Model 59 but it's a bit big to conceal and doesn't fit my hand as well as the Taurus. Have 500+ rds thru the Taurus with no problems.

drinks

Hi Point, inexpensive, not cheap.
I have the 9mm compact and the 9mm carbine, I have never had a FTF, FTL or FTE in 5 years.

EdInk

My advice is take the $450 skip the gunshow and find something on gunbroker. It seems as of late gunshow deals are extinct as the dodo.

Mossy500

Hi Point, inexpensive, not cheap.
I have the 9mm compact and the 9mm carbine, I have never had a FTF, FTL or FTE in 5 years.
+1 on the hi-point.. as long as you break in the magazine you shouldnt have a problem. (the spring is pretty stiff new)
ive never had a problem with mine, ad i shoot the cheapest ammo i find

plus, they have one of the the best warrantys around

arjunki

My advice is take the $450 skip the gunshow and find something on gunbroker. It seems as of late gunshow deals are extinct as the dodo.

CajunBass

You might not "get a deal" at a gun show, but you will get to see a lot of guns in one place.

Smith & Wesson Sigma, Hi-Point C-9, are two I've got some experience with in that range. At least NIB. They're both pretty decent.

Used guns are where you find them. I found a Smith & Wesson 39-2 for $250.00 in a Gander Mountain once. Gun looked and shot like brand new. If you see one, think about it hard.

Last edited:

camelshark69

Don't get the PT models from Taurus! I had the 40 cal millenium for a week then sold it. They have a cheap feeling plastic trigger and it creeps forever. I have an XD 9mm SC and it's sweet. I got it brand new for $450. Shop around and check out Budsgunshop.com for them. Good luck!

PeterGunn

I'll stay away from the brand wars...

I would strongly encourage you to not get hung up on buying a new gun. It appears you seem to be willing to consider both new and used, which is definitely the way to go. Opening yourself to used pistols that are in good condition both mechanically and cosmetically, you will not be so limited to some of the "economy" options you have on your current list, some of which are excellent by the way.

Specifically, you metioned a S&W 659... nothing wrong with 2nd Generation S&Ws, but you might also want to consider including say a S&W 5906 which is essentially the same basic design, just updated and upgraded for the 1980s and 1990s... Fantastic guns!!!