Inexpensive .22 revolver

Mossy500

I have 2 handguns already but for me, shooting hundreds of rounds every month of .45 and 9mm are out of the question money wise. So i figure if i get a .22 i can get the practice in of accurately shooting handguns with out all the cost. and i know each gun shoots different, and i need to practice with everything i plan to carry, but at least some of the skills will carry over. Im still fairly new to handguns so im still working on technique.

so im just looking for a inexpensive .22 revolver that i can take out and shoot all day with my other guns.

22-rimfire

One of the better "inexpensive" double action 22 revolvers available today is the new SP-101 from Ruger. You also have choices from Taurus and Charter Arms. Taurus's have a reputation for problems and few people know much about the Charter Arms Pathfinder.

I personally would look at the Ruger and see what you think. Ruger is also bringing out their LCR in 22 for those that might be interested. It is a DA only pocket revolver.

My leanings tend to be toward S&W and Colt DA 22 revolvers. I like the Smith M63 and the more expensive M17 Classic, M18 Classic, and M617 are considered premium 22 revolvers. Certainly there are excellent used M17 and M18's around.

On the used front and less expensive that used Smiths and Colts are the H&R DA 22 revolvers that are basic but work. They can be had for under $250 in as new condition. These are revolvers that sold originally for $75 > $125 new.

gunluver

If you want new, buy this.......Ruger SP101. It works for everything I need it to do and will more than likely outlast me and my children.

attachment.php

I love this little .22. BUT, I a still on the look out for some classic DA wheelguns, like smith K-frames and my holy grail gun....a Colt Diamondback 4" blued.

Attachments

• sp101.22-1.jpg
    sp101.22-1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 968

hermannr

If I were looking for an inexpensive .22 cal wheel gun, I would look for a used High Standard. Longhorn if you can find one. (with both cylinders, .22 lr and .22 mag.)

tekarra

I went the inexpensive .22 revolver route a few years back, then I purchased an S&W 63. The difference in smoothness overall was tremedous and would suggest you try to shoot a few of the cheaper ones before laying down your money.

roaddog28

You did not indicate whether your looking for a DA/SA or a single action. Don't overlook a single action. They are very accurate and fun to shoot. Although there are some good DA/SA revolvers out there, most have heavy double action triggers. I own a Ruger Single Six 6.5 barrel and love it.
Good luck,
Howard

Lucky Lady

you can find single action Ruger 22lr with 22mag cylender revolvers for under $300. Seen one at local gun shop for $280

Heritage Rough Riders are pritty good. The finish isnt all that great. but you can pick up one for under $200 to $300 for the 9 inch barrel version.

Avoid Puma revolvers, IDK but they seem cheap as they are under $200 here and big and ugly.

bedbugbilly

Just curious - on an average, how much can you find the Ruger SP101 in 22 cal. for - price wise? Are the local gun shops sticking to the MSRP or can you find deals out there on them? They certainly are a nice looking revolver - would love to add one to my "herd" of Rugers.

Onward Allusion

Mossy500
Inexpensive .22 revolver

I'm gonna recommend something a little different than S&W, Ruger, or Taurus. Get a used H&R. A H&R 929 can be had for way less than $200 and is a steel frame revolver. A H&R 922 can be had for between $100 - $125. Although it's a fixed frame, reloading is still rather quick.

Mossy500

Get a used H&R. A H&R 929 can be had for way less than $200 and is a steel frame revolver. A H&R 922 can be had for between $100 - $125. Although it's a fixed frame, reloading is still rather quick.

That seems to be more of what im looking for, as much as i would love to have those rugers, $500 is not "inexpensive" in my book. Thanks for all the suggestions

Mossy500

Ill most likely go around to some of the local gun shops and 1 pawn shop in particular around here and see what they have used.

Zhillsauditor

A friend of mine just got a S&W model 63 at a gun show for $325. It has some scuffs, but will polish up perfect.

If you demand DA/SA gun, then the H&R or maybe an Iver Johnson break-open are choices in the under $300 (or 200) range. There are a lot of choices in SA revolvers under $300 (including used single sixes, colts, etc.).

Mikey Idaho

For really inexpensive i'd recommend a Heritage Rough Rider, under 200 and well worth the money, I've put around 5000 rounds through mine this year and I paid 150 NIB on a sale I found.

Prof Young

Heritage Rough Rider

I second that. I have had Heritage Rough Rider for several years now and it is a fun plinking gun. Has inter changeable cylinders for 22LR or 22 mag. Can shoot short or longs too. The only thing I don't like about it is that after after about ten yards, the gun starts shooting high and there isn't enough play in the rear sight to lower the aiming point. But I only paid 125 bucks for it. I suppose I could mill the sight flange down a little, but it's not a hunting gun so no big deal.

Live well be safe
Prof Young