Increasing accuracy on T/C Encore

101guns

I was told that you can purchase a slightly oversized barrel pin that will result in better groups. Anyone heard of such? If so, where do I get one? Thanks

Charles S

I have not heard that....but it does sound interesting.

Before you change the frame on your gun, have you considered having your crown re-cut. Re- cutting the crown will often greatly improve accuracy. Also consider a trigger job.

If you have already done the above and are still unsatisfied then I would consider other changes, just keep in mind once you alter your frame all of your barrels will have to be altered also.

My Encore shoots great, but I am still interested in the oversize pin information.

101guns

I will let you know what I find out. Supposedly, you just gently tap it into place. It is .03 or so larger than the original. Theory is less movement upon shot. Myth? I don't know but just curious if anyone knew.

Charles S

Let me know what you find out. I really don't think I could use a pin that was 30 thousands larger in mine without frame modification. My existing pin is a very tight fit already. I have to tap it in and out of all my barrels.

I am interested in the information though.

Thanks

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
101guns,

What group sizes are you getting now? I've owned two of the Encores and they'd both do three shot groups better than 1 inch at 100 yards.

There is an oversize pin available if your action is getting sloppy:).I want to say E.Arther Brown was were I saw one years ago.
My 16" 223 encore would shoot under 1" at 100 yrds with 55gr fmj most of the time..If they don't have a pin ,Im pretty sure you can send it into them to have it tightened ,etc.
If you havn't checked them out,,DO IT NOW!!!:)

mikejonestkd

If you have an encore or Contender or a G2 contender that the pin is loose then you may, just may have a bit of an accuracy problem, at least according to a few smiths.

I found this gentleman and his site, there are several pages of info on the topic.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php

I can barely get my hinge pin out with a mallet and a plastic dowel, so I don't think I have a problem with mine :)

pdh

I bought a custom after market barrel for my Encore and was also going to get the over sized hinge pin but was told that the over sized hinge pin will void T/C's warranty....that is just what I have heard and read.... So I decided against the over sized pin..
My Encore is extremely accurate...one hole groups at 100yds when I do my part......

pdh

I got this info off Eabco's website. Not sure if they are talking about their warranty or T/C's................

www.eabco.com/PivotPin.htm

Oversized Pivot Pins Void All Warrantees... Here's Why:
The center line position and alignment of the TC Encore and Contender barrel pivot is critical to the headspace of the chamber and lockup of the barrel to the frame. When we machine the underlugs for our barrels, they are clamped squarely on an extremely precise CNC Milling Machine. The pivot pin centerline is located to within 10ths of a 1/1000th of an inch. The hole is "peck" drilled at a computer programmed and consistent rate to insure that it does not wander and goes in straight and true. The hole is then CNC machine reamed to final dimension with the centerline at the same location while the part is still clamped squarely on the CNC machine. Each pivot pin hole is checked for tightness and alignment with pin gauges. We are sure that the Thompson Center Arms factory uses a similar if not equally precise system for locating the centerline of this hole, though they produce these in much higher mass quantities than we do. In order to get our barrels to headspace and lock up properly, we had to get our barrel lugs AT LEAST as precise as the TC factory and frankly, we were amazed at how close the TC Factory holds these dimensions. Our lug making system is certainly better than the mass production TC factory, but the factory is certainly better than any hand reamer.
The bottom line is this: Anybody who thinks they can improve on this level of precision by HAND REAMING the pivot pin holes to fit oversized pivot pins is making a serious and potentially dangerous error. At the least, such modifications may ruin your gun and take away the barrel interchange ability that is part of the reason you bought your TC Encore or Contender in the first place. At the worst, it could affect the barrel to frame lock-up and headspace to a degree that will make your gun dangerous to shoot. Don't be talked into messing around with oversized pivot pins.
We have instruments that can measure and detect whether the pivot pin hole has been modified to fit oversized pivot pins. There is no doubt about this. If you perform any modification to a barrel or frame it will void all warrantees but this one is especially bad because it is not repairable... barrels and/or frames that have been modified to fit oversized pivot pins may still work okay, but they are not improved over original condition. And if they don't work okay, they are very expensive garbage... not repairable and not replaceable because the warranty is void.

Charles S

pdh,

Thanks for the information.

(Adds new item of list of things not to do - dang as I get older my list keeps getting longer).

Oh-well you know what the last words of the redneck are?

"Here, hold my beer; watch this!"

mikejonestkd

Thanks Pdh!!!

I have yet to hear of an encore or contender or a G2 contender that did not shoot approx 1 MOA from the factory with good ammo. Why mess with something that ain't broken?

My last contender in .35 rem shot just over 1" at 100 ( 5 shot )

My currrent .223 barrel in a rifle regularly shoots .6" 5 shots,

My current .308 in a pistol is right on one inch at 100 yards.

My .243 barrel in a rifle is just over an inch at 100 yards.

The only issue that comes up with inconsistent accuracy with enocre is the way you hold them on the bench. Keep the forend pressure consistent on the bags otherwise you will get fliers.

And that is probably why when I went on the E.Arther brown site I did not see a pin around but they did have the service to repair the action..That does make alot of sense.
I will say back when I fired my encore all the time.I found there was a little play somewere between 600-1000+ rnds.Probably not enough to effect anything, but it was not as tite as the 1st few 100 rnds..
I remember years ago you could purchase the pin.They probably had alot of problems and decided to not sell them to the general public anymore.

pdh

You are most certainly welcome.

I bought my Encore to get into wildcat cartridges. I currently have a 243AI barrel for my Encore which I am very well pleased. I am planning on a 280 JDJ barrel from SSK this spring......

pdh

Gents here are some targets I shot with my Encore 243AI
It shoots pretty good with the factory hinge pin....Two different loads...