in your opinion what the most accurate bolt .22 rifle out of the box?

skeeter1

The CZ. Hand's down the best out of the box. I'm still thinking about getting a 452FS, even though I've already got a Marlin 39 and need another .22 rifle like a hole in my head, it's just so darned pretty that I can't get it out of my mind.

anschutz2013.jpg

Brad Clodfelter

I would have to go with a Suhl 150, Win 52D, or Rem 40X from what I have seen or talked to the guys who have them. I have the Suhl. It's a tackdriver. Mine has a McMillan benchrest stock on it and a tuner on the end of the barrel. The original barrel on the Suhl would shoot tiny holes for 5 shot groups at 50yds. At 25yds it would shoot one single bullet hole with good ammo for 5 shots if you could hold it steady enough or shoot it well enough totally free recoil. I shot a factory 40X Rem, and it shot very well too. I have shot a Walther KK200, and it shot great too. Some of the older Anschutz 54's would shoot pretty well too. But if I had to pick one gun for being the most accurate from gun to gun, I would have to go with the Suhl. The Suhl triggers would go down to 2oz or less. The Rem 40X or Win 52D wouldn't. You can drop a Jewell trigger in the Rem 40X though and have a 1.5oz to 2oz trigger for around $160. The older Anschutz 54 triggers would go down to 2oz or less as well.

Brad

johnbt

"cz? how much more accurate are these than stock ruger 10/22"

I'll go out on a limb and say twice as accurate. One stock gun vs. another stock gun with ammo that they reasonably like.

John

SDDL-UP

How much do you want to spend?

The CZ is the most accurate bolt action 22LR this side of DEDICATED target rifles or VERY expensive custom 22's. Most are very accurate. You might have a 10/22 that is a real shooter, but chances are very good that a CZ bolt gun would be noticably more accurate. I can't really comment on Marlin bolt action 22's as I have no experience with them.

Check out rimfirecentral.com they have a great CZ forum and a great 10/22 forum.

jmorris

Top of the line Anschutz, Walther, and the Remington 40X outshoot most everyone. My Walther has put 5 shots into 5/8” at 300yds (156” of bullet drop), no it can’t do it every time, only once so far, but that’s what they can do. Well under moa at 100yds. If you wanted to go low buck you might check with CMP they had kimber target rifles for around $600 last time I checked.

biglabsrule

I think you were meaning 22lr? but could be saying mag or even .22 cal like a .22-250 ....

in terms of reasonable and not insane a 10-22 can be made pretty good with lots of upgrades but like with any platform a bolt action has the advantage over a semiauto....

281 Quad Cam

The CZ before you get into serious money.
You can still take a CZ hunting and put it down in the dirt or drop it without crying.

Picher

The most accurate sporter rifles out of the box are probably Coopers, and Anschutz 54 series sporters, then Anschutz 64 series, incl. Weatherby-Anschutz 64, Vorquartsen 10-22, then a bunch of others including CZ American that are limited by lack of a match chamber, if nothing else.

That's not to say that certain rifles readily available in the US can't shoot as well, just that the average rifles aren't as good out of the box.

BTW: If, in fact, any .22LR fired a 5/8", 300 yard 5-shot group, it would probably be a world record. Frankly, I find it very hard to believe, unless it happened during a sanctioned competition. I'd even doubt a 5/8" group at 200 yards, even though I've made some 1/10" or better groups at 50 yards.

Picher

Wildalaska

Anschutz....

Although for what I am being told, the new Blaser .22 put even the dedicated .22 target rifles to shame.

WildczsaregreatforthemoneythoughjustnotthebestAlaska TM

mikejonestkd

IMO,

turbo action rifle ( custom )
Anschutz 54 action
Cooper
Remington 40X
Win 52, no longer made
Suhl, I believe no longer made
Anschutz 64
CZ
then
everybody else...

I guess it depends on how good is good enough for you..and the size of your wallet.

wild, blaser is going to make a .22 target rifle...? nice!!!!!

Wildalaska

wild, blaser is going to make a .22 target rifle...? nice!!!!!

Actually just a conversion kit/barrel to their system (17 HMR, 22 or 22 mag), retail over $1500, so if you get the R93 Imperial you can have a $31,000 .22:eek:

WildconspicuousconsumptionAlaska TM

Bottom Gun

how much more accurate are these than stock ruger 10/22(thats what i have)?

Most slingshots will be more accurate than a 10/22.:D

My Anschutz and Sako FinnFire are the two most accurate sporter type .22 rifles I own.

Brad Clodfelter

I'll give these 2 examples of why I say a Suhl factory barrel gun will be one of the top candidates for being the most accurate factory barrel gun ever produced so far. Remember these groups were shot from my factory barrel Suhl action that was put in a properly bedded McMillan benchrest stock and Hoehn tuner added to the end of the barrel. That's all that was added to the gun. I believe you could probably shoot groups dang near this good with a Suhl without a tuner and the factory stock as well. All Suhl's will shoot. Like I said, the Suhl 150 is considered by many to be the most accurate factory barrel gun ever produced especially if your talking from gun to gun. These are only 25yds, but you will see what I mean. Both these groups were shot outdoors, too.

417152.JPG

I was aiming at the center 10 ring which on the USBR target is 1/10" by the way. I actually had the gun sighted a little low not to shoot out my aiming point making it easier to shoot the smallest hole possible. That group above was measured 3 different times by a guy named Jim from Alaska, who I sent it to, and Jim came up with .021ctc. Yep, that's 21 thousandths of an inch center to center. It looks like only 1 shot was shot at the target, but believe me it's actually 5 consecutive shots. So it was actually .021 off from having all 5 shots going through the exact same hole.

Here's one I shot out my aiming point which was dead center. Again, harder to keep the group as small this way. But it keeps people from saying I missed the center on the one above. :p I very seldom ever shoot groups at 25yds for most of my groups are shot at 50yds. But 25yd testing actually will give you less variables to actually test your ammo and the gun for what it is capable of.

424895.jpg

Wildalaska

I'll give these 2 examples of why I say a Suhl factory barrel gun will be one of the top candidates for being the most accurate factory barrel gun ever produced so far.

You do mean .22 rimfire I assume :)

Wildcauseat25yardsIcandothatwithaswedemauserAlaska

Brad Clodfelter

Yes sir. The Suhl 150 is a 22lr.

I also believe some older Rem 40X factory barrel guns and Winchester 52D factory barrel guns will go head to head with a Suhl. The thing that kills these 2 though is they don't have killer factory triggers. The Suhl does. My trigger right now is probably set on 1.5oz. The 40X will take a Jewell trigger like I said. The Win 52D will need some trigger mods done by a good smith like Butch Hongisto. Karl Kenyon used to make a Kenyon trigger for a 52D that would take it down to around 2oz for $350. Or he can do factory trigger conversions to get the factory trigger down to 3-5oz for $135. Karl may still be working on triggers, but I know he is getting up there in the years, so he may have quit.

Brad

Last edited:

chris in va

Cajun, to answer your ORIGINAL question as I understand it...

Might look into replacing the stock barrel. It'll run you half what a new CZ does and get pretty darn close in accuracy.

I did get a good chuckle out of this thread though...everyone's recommending olympic target rifles.:p

Brad Clodfelter

Chris,

When you ask a specific question, I give a specific answer.

Quote: