In your opinion : what is more economical?

9mmSkeeter

Ultimately the top importance is what you shoot best, but with all else being equal, loading to the same relative recoil/power/etc, is it more economical to buy, say a 147 grn 9mm bullet at $80 per 1,000 and load 4.0 grains of powder or buy 115 grn 9mm bullets at $70/1,000 and use 6.0 grains of powder? Does it make a huge difference in the long run? And what do you decide to do usually?

MrBorland

Which is more economical isn't a matter of opinion - it's a simple matter of math. Assuming the same powder, the 115gr load will be slightly cheaper - about $2 - $3 per thousand cheaper.

Whether it's worth it is the matter of opinion. If choosing between performance and saving a few bucks, I'd go with performance every time.

axismatt

I used to load light, using 115 gr bullets and using the starting load in the powder I had on hand. It worked fine in the 92F, my friends glocks and the XD9 I had at the time.

When I bought my CZ75, I found that it preferred at least a 124 gr bullet and a hotter load.

So the answer is, whatever your gun will eat most cheaply... that's the best combo.

Also, I don't know what powder you're using, but a 2 grain jump from 147 to 115 seems like a big difference. Check that load data again.

ATPBULLETS

I do not think you will know what's most economical until you have seen which loads are most accurate and reliable in your sidearm.
So let the gun pick the ammo and charge then buy in bulk... that will be the "most economical"... :)

if as you say all else being equal....I have found the 124gr the most economical with enough powder to reliably cycle the action . then add 2-5% to make sure so as to not waste powder and bullets on jams.

When I tried to load to max savings..(least powder for given weight bullet....) the jams appeared and ate up the savings...

9mmSkeeter

Thanks for the responses. The data I provided was not real world data, just an example. Yes 2 grains is a large jump but I wanted to cover that possibility. It may boil down to simple math, but I also wanted opinions. Looks like economically the light grain bullet is best. But as I said, performance and reliability and fun conquers all here.

Nick_C_S

Generally, the lighter bullet/more propellant combination is going to cost less per round.

But with this chronic powder shortage, I'd rather use the heavier bullet and stretch the powder. IMO

skizzums

yes, I stay away rom 100 and 115gr loads in my 9mm mainly due to powder savings. one pound of titegroup can load 2000 rounds of 125 and even more of 147(if we are talking low power plinking). whereas the 90gr hornadays I used to like would take up 6gr of hs-6 and was just less economical with the powder shortage. usually there isn't a price difference between 125 and 115gr bullets