In the Market For a .40S&W($400-$500 Budget)

seanie

Hey all, I've got a buddy who's looking for a .40 and has around a $400-$500 budget. This is going to be his first gun. A co-worker and I brought him shooting the first time the other day and he fell in love immediately. Since this is going to be his first gun, he's not even really sure what he wants, but he knows he wants a .40. He's been asking me for advice(I have almost no experience in the .40 world, and have been passing along secondhand knowledge from forums), and the only things I've been able to tell him are:
in that price range, forget about H&K and Sig
stay away from Glocks(I've heard mostly bad things about their .40s)
start looking at Smith & Wesson, Springfield XDs, Beretta, and Taurus

We have a mutual friend who owns a Walther P99 9MM, and he's a fan of how it handles, so he's leaning towards a SW99 in .40. He also shot my Taurus 24/7 Pro and likes that, so he's considering a 24/7 Pro in .40. My guess is judging from the affore-mentioned pistols, he likes polymer framed guns. Carry isn't an option here in IL, so there shouldn't be any size restrictions for him. I've also told him for a first gun to go for something more economical like a .22, but he's not interested. He's also not for picking up a 9MM. If memory serves me correct, .40 is more expensive in the ammo department(which I've told him), but he's not looking to go to the range every week, or every other week like I do.

If anybody has any recommendations, or I just so happen to be passing along secondhand internet rumors in my "knowledge", please let me know. I'll keep everyone posted as his opinion changes, or if he starts to lean in any other specific directions.

cloud8a

Tell him to look everywhere and take his time. 1st look for a SIG P229 it might be hard but they are out there in that price used, especially at gun shows. I bought my SIG P229 at a gun show for $515. This gun is worth looking hard for.

A Glock 23 is the next I would recommend. That will be the next gun I purchase. The recoil is pretty stout but Glock is a dang fine weapon.

The next is the Springfield XD-40. I bought mine 4 years ago bran new for $530 and love it. It is comparable to a Glock.

none of these guns will you find bran new under 600. But the quality of these guns make them very desirable even used.

Check 1st GUN SHOWS!
pawn shops
gunbroker.com
shotgun magazine
classifieds
friends of friends

after that if he still does not find something tell him to save up and get a new one for market value. all three of the above mentioned guns can be bought bran new for just a little above 600. It is worth getting quality than having a bad experience with a unfitting compromise.

if he is unwilling to do that tell him to look into Jennings.:eek:

qwman68

look for a taurus pt-140.3rd gen.i have one and also a pt-145.say what you want both of mine are reliable and accurate my .02

Flipper 56

Try checking out European American Armory or CZ.
Paid $410 for my Tanfoglio (EAA) 40 S&W and it is the proverbial
"extension of my arm" :cool:

Kreyzhorse

If he likes Glocks, I'd put them at the top of the polymer list. My Glock 22 has been flawless and a Glock, well, they are a Glock. That's enough said.

As far as S&W, not a bad choice either. A buddy of mine just bought a Sigma and it has the worse trigger I've ever seen but, it's reliable and he likes it so it works for him. Nothing wrong with a M&P either.

I don't know a whole lot about Springfield's XD, but as a company, Springfield stands behind their products and makes on hell of a 1911. Wouldn't take issue suggesting a XD if it works for him.

novalty

Smith and Wesson 4006 or 4046, Stainless Steel, built like a tank, reduced recoil over polymer guns, will last a lifetime, and plenty of great 4006 and 4046 can be found in the price range you mentioned. .40 S&W might be the way to go now, because 9mm and 45ACP ammo doesn't seem to exist anymore.:(

#18indycolts

We have a mutual friend who owns a Walther P99 9MM, and he's a fan of how it handles, so he's leaning towards a SW99 in .40

The Walther P99 is also made in a .40.

couldn't be more untrue, Glocks are fine weapons.

txstang84

Quote:

couldn't be more untrue, Glocks are fine weapons.

Well said-there have been cases of Kabooms...they are few and far between, but because of the instantaneous travel of info via the internet and cellular technologies, we know about very nearly all of them. Keep looking through these forums...every single handgun maker you can think of has issues from time to time-even the almighty Sig and HK...although they are very seldom.

Smith and Wesson 4006 or 4046

...another good call +1

All the rec's aside-he really need to palm the pistols before buying one and trying to "grow into it." $500 is still a pretty fair chunk of change for most folks just to readily drop on a single item-not saying it's not well worth it :D, but he needs to find out one he likes before committing to spending the money...be critical of each one he shoots. The good about any gun is the shooting, but also consider weight, concealability (if it's a concern), capacity, consistency, stoppages and malfunctions, overall "feel..." You get the idea.

Check 1st GUN SHOWS!
pawn shops
gunbroker.com
shotgun magazine
classifieds
friends of friends

Not a bad place to start-even if you don't buy one at these locations, you can be introduced to a veritable plethora of models which may very well fit your fancy...

I don't know where in Texas you are Brother, but the ones that come through Abilene seem to think people are made of money. I know haggling is part of a good bargain at a gun show, but I shouldn't have to be disgusted enough to turn and walk away by just by looking at a $600 price tag on a USED pistol that can be had new for the same price, or less...:mad:

spartan615

I just recently picked up an M&P 40 full size. It's a great gun. Bought it for $530. Can't wait to put some more rounds through it.

seanie

Thanks for the help so far guys. I'm putting together a list to give him with all the recommendations on it. I guess I should have put it in my first post, but he's looking to try out and rent guns at the range to make his mind up.

Wiskey_33

I guess I should have put it in my first post, but he's looking to try out and rent guns at the range to make his mind up.

The best thing one can do. Nobody knows what your friend will like except for your friend. We can only suggest firearms to try.

pacerdude

Either a used Glock, Sig, HK, M&P, or XD, would be good starts. Or if you really want new, I have heard good things about the S&W Sigma (except the heavy trigger).

Chesster

I bought a couple of second gen. G22s a while back, PD trade ins. Dead night sights. Great shooters with 3 hicaps each for about $325 each at the time.