In the interest of cheap alternatives...

ahenry

I don’t reload a huge amount of ammo, although that is changing as time goes on. I have not tumbled my brass up till now as I just haven’t wanted to spend the money to get a quality tumbler and I had access to a friends. I now have some brass that I will toss unless I can tumble it, and my reloading friend no longer lives in town. I haven’t spent the time I want to find the right tumbler (leading to a side question of what recommendations y’all have), but I would like to get this brass clean for some reloading this weekend. This brings me to my question. Is there any reason I couldn’t put the dirty brass in a cloth bag, fill the bag with some medium and toss it all in the dryer? I thought that there might be a problem with unburned powder or something, but after further reflection I don’t see that as a problem anymore. Any ideas?

bowhnter

If you're planning on increasing the amount you reload I would sugest a tumler. I know my wife would have TWIN cows if I tried to do that.;) Seriously though, I bought a tumbler kit thru Midway . It is the Model 1292 Ultimate tumbler pack. Comes w/ Tumbler, separator, clear lid, bucket, polish and media. $67.99

griz

I wouldn’t try the dryer for two reasons:
1. The media is very good at finding it’s way into places you would rather it not be. I think media would work it’s way through a cloth bag and clog up your dryer.
2. It’s probably unlikely, but the dust created by the media breaking up (unrelated to unburned powder) could be flammable and even with no heat from the dryer I would worry about a spark setting it off.

What kind of brass do you want to clean? I ask because before I had a tumbler I would clean rifle brass one piece at a time on a drill press. I put a tapered wooden dowel in the chuck, held the case loosely so the mouth was grabbed and rotated by the dowel, and knocked the crud off with scoth-brite. You can even polish them if you want them to sparkle. I haven’t tried that with pistol brass, but except for the difficulty in holding the small pieces it should work.

ahenry

If you're planning on increasing the amount you reload I would sugest a tumler.
That was sorta my point, I don’t have much need to go buy one. Besides I like finding “different” ways to do things.

The media is very good at finding it’s way into places you would rather it not be. I think media would work it’s way through a cloth bag and clog up your dryer.
Excellent point. Would a thick plastic bag work then?

It’s probably unlikely, but the dust created by the media breaking up (unrelated to unburned powder) could be flammable and even with no heat from the dryer I would worry about a spark setting it off.
This is news to me. Is all media flammable like that, or just most? Could one be used that isn’t flammable?

I am mainly talking about pistol brass. I could clean them one by one with a drill like you suggest or a pipe cleaner or other such tool, but I sorta like the idea of a dryer. It appeals to my creative nature (like I am creative HA).

Nuts and Bolts

for a cheap way to clean brass, you can try some birchwood casey brass cartridge case cleaner. It comes in a 16 oz bottle, and will make up 2 gallons of solution. Put brass in the solution for 3 to 5 minutes, rinse, and dry. If they aren't quite as shiny as you want, on can polish with steel wool. This goes faster if you have the lockstud and holder from a lee case trimmer kit as you can chuck it up in a drill and spin each case. I also, besides polishing, trim, chamfer, and inspect each case while doing this as nessicary. It is a little time consuming, but it is an option...

robsguns

A weak solution of vinegar and water, you do the math on what weak constitutes by seeing if its working, will clean as well as the liquid cleaners, and it costs pennies. It will be similar to the Iosso liquid cleaner, which is available commercially through places like Cabella's and Midway. Vinegar wont hurt anything, leave it in the solution for about 10 minutes, agitating a couple times during that time. This will sufficiently clean the brass, but wont make it shiny, though it will be sufficient for your purposes. Rinse well.

RHarris

Break down and buy a small tumber. After you use it a few times you might find it hard to believe you considered other methods.

Colduglandon

been reloading on and off for years. Bought some of the parts to build a home made tumbler but finally ordered one this week. Saw the post on another thread here and gave it a shot, no shipping. http://www.berrysmfg.com/ picked up a huge back of media in the pet section at Walmart. See what happens. I am a brass rat and I need this to clean up my act.

BIGR

I use to clean my brass by hand. Man that got old fast. I finally broke down and bought a tumbler and did not regret getting it. It makes a difference to have nice clean shiny brass for your pet loads.

ahenry

I think I am coming across as a bit of a tight wad here. I don’t have a problem purchasing a tumbler (although I don’t really have a big need for one), but alternative ways of solving a problem appeals to my sense of...well ok I don’t just why it appeals to me, it just does. I realize the best solution is to buy a tumbler, that’s what they’re made for. I am really looking for alternatives just for grins. Does nobody think my dryer idea would work? How depressing...

griz

Would a thick plastic bag work then?

I don't know, it just seems like the dryer is to expensive to risk it. Sounds like you really are ready to try it, and I can understand the DIY side of the equation. I did hear of a guy who used a tupperware sort of container in the dryer. It was the kind that is like a large square bottle with a screw on top. He taped the top shut and said it worked fine. Good luck which ever way you go.

And all the media I have seen is either ground up corn cob or walnut shells. Not exactly fire wood but it would burn I guess. I was thinking more of the dust hazard, but not a concern if it is sealed.

PS a little light bulb just came on in my head. You could put the brass with no media in whatever bag you want and try that. It might be loud but would be no risk to the dryer I seem to be worried about.

bowhnter

I think I am coming across as a bit of a tight wad here.
NAH. I was just saying that a tumbler would be the best option and likely pay for itself in the long run. If you pick up the pace that is:) I think that brass w/ media in a sealed container, with NO chance of opening could work. I think it would be a rather slow process though. I tumble brass for 2-3 hours. The agitation rate is much faster than a dryer. Also quieter. But like I said, given enough time, it should work.

It would truly suck to have to buy a new dryer because you wanted to try something creative.:barf: :barf:

And I just remembered, I heard of guys who throw their Glocks in the dishwasher......ha ha (too easy, couldn't resist):D :D :D

DaHaMac

lead dust

If any dust were created by tumbling the shells escaped, you could wind up with lead dust in your dryer.

I love my 1292, wouldn't consider doing it any other way.

45Badger

Until I got my tumbler (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!), I washed in hot water, dishsoap,vinegar, and a little baking soda. shake and stir, let soak, stir, soak, rinse (well) and rinse again. dry on cookie sheets in very low oven.

I love my tumbler. Fast and nice.

Ok, if you arn't going to buy a tumbler then mix a solution of salt and vinegar. Deprime your cases and then soak them in this soution. Every few minutes shake the container to move the brass around. This doesn't work as well as a tumbler, but it does clean the cases.
Why don't you try to build yourself a tumbler ? Get an old washing machine motor with a pulley on it. Run a belt to another pulley connected to a shaft running through a container that holds the brass.
Or, you can just buy a tumbler which will work better than these ideas.

Frank Iacono

Dillion

Look at the dillion website for tumblers. They make excellent products and if they ever break the company is great to deal with. See the posts concerning Dillion products.

riflemanZ

I own the Midway 1292 tumbler and rate it A+.Its also on sale at www.midwayusa.com for $59.99
I use walnut and corncob media with lymans turbo brite.The cases come out looking brand new.That price includes tumbler,media separator,clear lid,gal bucket,8oz white lightning brass polish,2 lbs corn cob media.Its a good tumbler pkg.