In the head...

robc

Hi folks!
New to this site. I love it! Question... I have a 1911A1 (Ranger Lite). It's a little beat up, but I love to shoot it (my first and still only 1911). Only problem is it spits empties right into my forehead. Yes, I'm holding the firearm out in front of me when I shoot. Is there something wrong maybe?

robc

Thanks, Moloch.
I'll give it a good cleaning and compare it to a friend's extractor. I wouldn't know what a damaged one looks like, but I know his works so it must be right. If I have to replace it (the piece in question) am I in for a parts party? I've only field stripped this thing. :eek:

Clayfish

MAke sure you have a firm grip. Limp wristing can cause that too. As others have said check the extractor and clean.

robc

Um... Yeah. That's what my wife said. Although I don't much care for the term "limp wristing", I think that's the case. It's got more kick than any of my other handguns (22's and 9's), so I bet I just need to hold er' a bit more firm. Thanks.

omegapd

what kind of ammo are you using? I have one gun that ejects brass just perfectly but throws Wolf steel cased ammo right back at me too.

44 AMP

Staff
Replacing the ejector

Is a job best left to a competent gunsmith. 1911 ejectors are pressed into the frame, and when replaced, a hole is drilled through the frame, and a retaining pin installed. Not something for the home hobbyist with no experience.

As suggested, try a different brand of ammo. Have soemone else shoot the gun with the ammo that is giving you problems. That will narrow it down. You may not need to do any work to the gun.

My Dad's Colt 1911A1 generally would kick the cases right over his head, but once in a while it would drop them into his shirt pocket. It doesn't give me any problems.

Another thing to consider is the recoil spring, and general smoothness of operation. Anything that affects slide velocity will have an effect on where the brass goes. Do you have a standard strength recoil spring?

And also as mentioned, how you hold the gun has an effect also. 1911s generally function no matter how they are held, but it can vary, and each gun is a law unto itself.

Good luck.

michael t

Its not the ejector . Its the extractor which is easy to replace if its a real 1911 (design wise) Take a hour maybe if you not sure what your doing. Just a matter of removing a couple things on slide and either adjusting present one or replacing with a Wilson. Directions are posted on1911 boards.

solz56

He might just want to try cleaning the extractor first.

[edit] Oh, just noticed that's already been suggested.

Last edited:

elwaine

He might just want to try cleaning the ejector first.
You mean, "cleaning the EXTRACTOR," don't you? The extractor is what grabs the shell casing. It is located on the right side of the slide, adjacent to the breech face. It has a "hooked" end. It is not difficult to replace extractors. Extractors are prone to fouling as they are not all that easy to clean.

The ejector is simply an add-on extension to the left side of the frame (not the slide). It is extremely unlikely that an ejector will accumulate junk.

solz56

Yes. Extractor. :p Typo. You know what I mean. They're not hard to get to. There's a great video on youtube showing how to remove the fireing pin and extractor on a 1911.