In memory of...

qwiksdraw

On this day,November 26, 1926, while working at the bench on a self-loading pistol design for Fabrique Nationale de Herstal (FN), John Moses Browning died of heart failure.

I will be at the range today shooting my 1911s. Thank you Mr. Browning.

Evil Monkey

On this day,November 26, 1926, while working at the bench on a self-loading pistol design for Fabrique Nationale de Herstal (FN), John Moses Browning died of heart failure.

...........and then he came back reincarnated as Gaston Glock.

TunnelRat

...........and then he came back reincarnated as Gaston Glock.

The degree to which this is laughable is amazing. I can only assume it was meant in jest, but even then it's an insult to the plethora of firearms of various types (handguns, shotguns, rifles, machineguns) that Browning invented.

jr24

I was unaware,

I shall have to head to the range with a 1911 this afternoon.

And my Hi-Power.

10mm4ever

The only thing Gaston Glock ever designed were curtain rods. Comparing someone who never designed anything remotely firearm related to John Browning is like comparing Johnny Knoxville to Mario Andretti because you watched "The Dukes of Hazzard".

LockedBreech

Let's not allow this to turn into a Glock vs. Browning thread. Not only because that comparison is like high school quarterback vs. John Elway. Let's focus on the awesomeness that is JMB.

My particular tip of the cap to Mr. Browning is for the Hi-Power. An elegant, accurate pistol!

HisSoldier

Many designs of JMB were beyond excellent, not sure whether to blame the deficiencies of the BHP on him or the other guy. Never liked the BHP, did one trigger job, that was enough. It's hard to believe the mechanical genius John Moses Browning was responsible for that horrible ignition system.

Auto5

My first gun was a Browning A5 magnum 20, purchased in 1971 for the princely sum of $207.95 (my father kicked in the balance over my paper route savings). It is still my favorite shotgun. I have a 1911, a Hi Power and an FN 1910 .32 (JMB's favorite), so I guess you could say I'm a fan.

KevininPa

HisSoldier

"Many designs of JMB were beyond excellent, not sure whether to blame the deficiencies of the BHP on him or the other guy. Never liked the BHP, did one trigger job, that was enough. It's hard to believe the mechanical genius John Moses Browning was responsible for that horrible ignition system. "

JMB only started the BHP. The other guy( whose name eludes me now, long shift and long drive on our first storm), finished it. And if the French military didn't request that funky mag disconnect, things might've been different.

The mag disconnect doesn't bother me on my FEG clone. But then neither does my factory Saiga trigger. I handle impact and hand tools all day long. Got no problems with triggers. Sometimes people gotta quit complaining and man up. Geez, we are in the end days of Rome. :(

btmj

BHP is a fine gun. Great design, and the manufacturing execution in Belgium, Canada, and later Portugal was excellent.

Having a trigger that could be tuned to target grade was not a requirement of the design, so it is not logical to criticize the design on that basis. Yes, the 1911 has a tunable trigger, but that was not a requirement of the US Army spec, it is merely happy accident. It would be like criticizing the design of the 1903 Springfield rifle because it does not have a 30 round magazine.

John Browning might be the greatest firearms designer in history. If not the greatest, than he is in the top three. I think the Gaston comment was meant as a joke... had to be..?

Crankgrinder

Of course the Gaston deal was a joke, but reguardless of the contrast between the many designs by Browning and the few by Glock, Browning made simple, reliable machines that functioned well. I still believe Browning might have appreciated the simplicity and the efficiency of the Glock design. If he had lived longer, maybe hed have designed it himself.

btmj

I have no doubt that had JMB been designing in the 1970's he would have made use of aluminum alloy... and had he been designing in the 1980's he would have made use of polymer.

Old Gaston may not have been a great designer, but he was a great team leader and project manager. He assembled a small team of the right people and that team designed the G17 AND the tooling and factory to build it. It is a different kind of talent.

10mm4ever

Gaston had deep pockets and friends in high places in the austrian military. He hired small arms designers such as Wilhelm Bubits to do all the work for him. He's always been more than happy to take all the credit, however. This makes him an old, rich fraud and nothing more.

Sevens

As I don't know the back story, I will not argue with this post above mine.

I will simply say that I'm very thankful that my every day carry gun is not a Bubits 29. Very, very thankful. :eek:

polyphemus

And if the French military didn't request that funky mag disconnect, things might've been different.
The original M1911 was designed with a magazine disconnect,JMB wanted to absolutely insure against accidental firing of a live round left in the chamber.
The magazine catch locked the trigger when the magazine was not present.
He was big on safety,truly a master gunsmith.

10mm4ever

Wilhelm Bubits was with Gaston from the beginning until they parted ways in 1997. Wilhelm had been working on a complete redesign for the Glock and when he presented it to Gaston, he passed on it. Wilhelm took his new design across the street to Steyr and they loved it. He resigned from Glock and went to work for Steyr. The design originally intended to be the 3rd gen Glock became known as the Steyr M9/M40. Years later he designed the Caracal for the UAE. Wilhelm is really the father of the modern striker fired, poly framed pistol.....not Gaston.

qwiksdraw

My thought is that if JMB were alive today he would welcome the design of the GLOCK, and would be designing ways to make it better.

That's seems to be way Mr. Browning did things.