In a Smith 640 : 125 gn or 158?

9mmSkeeter

I can buy 125 gn plated bullets significantly cheaper than 158 gn, and I like the cost savings. I have a 640 on layaway right now so I'm not sure what it likes. It's a 2 1/4" snubbie, DAO, 38 special, stainless steel.

Anyone with a J-Frame care to comment on the accuracy and recoil of 125 gn bullets vs 158? Thanks!

Smoke & Recoil

Either grain will work just fine, the only time it would matter is if you
were loading for a semi-auto as far as nose style for feeding.

Accuracy with a 2 1/2" would be for very close range, or at least the
broad side of a barn.

rg1

General info says snub nosed .38 Special sights are calibrated for 158 grain bullets. Lighter bullets often shoot low but not much for close range. I'd test them both to see what shoots best.

Nick_C_S

Yeah, the 125's are going to shoot a little lower. The fixed sights on your new 640 are tuned closer to the 158's.

But I wouldn't be too concerned. If you're buying bullets to just make basic range shooters to learn the ins-n-outs of your new gun, go for the 125's if you find the savings appealing.

skizzums

Dont get caught up in savings over 125gr and 158gr bullets, its usuualy only a few bucks per thousand, and the powder you save on the heavy bullet usually weighs out to the same unless your talking about premium bullets