IMR 4895. Is there nothing it won't do?

PawPaw

Getting ready to start playing with the .30-30 again, so I got out my loading notes and printed some pages off the net. Once again, I am impressed with the versatility of IMR 4895. Based on the powders on my shelves, it looks like IMR 4895 is once again on the short list for load development. I'm using Hornady 150 grain RN bullets and 4895 comes up again and again in the list of the better powders for that cartridge and bullet.

I'm down to my last couple of pounds and when it runs out, I'm going to order another 8 lb jug. It seems to make a place in lots of cartridges, from the .223 to the .45-70.

Uncle Buck

PawPaw, Please let us know how you like the rounds with that powder.

I also buy it in the eight pound jugs and use quite a bit of it now.

But when I was looking for a powder for my 30-30 people recommended 3031and it works nicely. So I never did try the 4895.

griz

It sure is a versatile powder. Except for maybe the huge magnum cases, it will provide a useful load for almost any rifle round. I like it for slightly reduced loads too. It's handy to be able to turn a 308 in to a 30-30 for a mild short range deer load.

PawPaw

Uncle Buck said:
But when I was looking for a powder for my 30-30 people recommended 3031and it works nicely. So I never did try the 4895.

I use 3031 as well, and I'll probably make up some of my standard 3031 loads. I even have a mantra to remember the load with 150 grain bullets: "Thirty grains of 3031 in the Thirty-Thirty."

Still, when I was piddling around in the load books, I was amazed at how often 4895 came up. I think I'll try it and see how it does.

Doyle

I think of RL-17 in the same light. It seems to work great in the mid-range spectrum of ammo (from about .243 up past 30-06) in short to medium barrel lengths.

603Country

i've always thought that imr4064 was the one that fits the most calibers well, but I will admit that I haven't used 4895.