IMR-4064 or Varget

hootey

Have not reloaded rifle rounds in almost ten years. Had great results with IMR-4064 in my 308 and 30-06. The last couple years the reloading magazines have been praising Varget in the 308 and 30-06. Is Varget that much better or are they paying service to all the advertising dollars? All comments welcome................hootey

dsv424

Not sure of the advertising aspect of this, but I use both Varget and IMR-4064 and get great results from both. The other powder I use for this caliber is RL-15 and it produces very well also.

Varget is formulated to have less temperature sensitivity than the others, and the target shooting community has come to like it for that reason. That said, if you work up an accurate load with any powder that is forgiving of charge weight precision plus or minus half a grain or more, you won't normally get accuracy issues within moderate temperature ranges anyway.

Claude Clay

i have used for many years Varget in my 308 with 168gr BTHP out to 600 yards with excellant accuracy. use it or 748 for my friends 30-06. both perform equally well.

W. C. Quantrill

I found Varget to be the most universal powder for all the rounds that I load. As the other powders were used up, I did not replace them. Now I can load everything I shoot with Varget. Less grains, more loads per pound, lower pressures, and --- One can of powder. Nothing to get mixed up or confused. Varget is ADI AR2208 powder, I believe.

Last edited:

emcon5

Varget is known for being tolerant of temperature changes, and meters better than 4064.

That being said, I still use 4064 for .308, simply because I have a good load that works well.

If it ain't broke.......

James R. Burke

In the 30-06 I used all of them and IMR- 4350. I like the 4350 with the 165 grain Nosler partitions, and the Varget seems to work good with the 110 V-Max for me.

hodaka

My two .308's, DPMS and CZ, never did as well with Varget as they did with 4064. I know others swear by Varget, but I never could make it work for me. I also like 4064 in my '06 Garand although I have not tried Varget in the Garand yet.

GeauxTide

I used 4064 in the 06 under 150 Hornadys @ 2950 for many years. 5/8" groups and 26fps ES. I've been using Varget in my 308 recently and it sure is cleaner than 748 and +1 on Unclenic re: Extreme Powder designation.