Impulse purchase....

itgoesboom

Went to a gunstore the other day and put down a deposit on a nice looking SKS.

I had been looking at everything from a NEF Survivor to a Cetme to a SAR to a lever action to a .22. But in the end i decided to get a SKS.

Its a Chinese in excellent condition, with a longer than normal blonde stock and fits me perfectly. I compared it to all the others in the shop, and this one definatly impressed me. It looks like someone took the time and effort to really clean it up and make it look good. Well, as good as a SKS can look.

As much as I like the stock that it comes with, i will probably get another stock from nouglyguns.com, to make it a little more unique.

Now i just need to decide on what pattern i want to get. Will probably be midnight camo, ambush camo, east german rain or one of the tiger striped patterns. I love the look of the Afghan desert, but since i am in Oregon, land of trees and rivers, i think i will go for something greener.

Ill post some photos of the rifle when i pick it up, as well as a range report when i first take it out.

I.G.B.

germanguns

Please...

Please oil this weapon. A friend of mine has a very nice one with a folding stock and everything, yet he has never oiled it. When you rack a round in it sounds like you are rubbing a piece of sandpaper against metal. :eek: Once again, please oil this weapon.

eyeballz

My manual says not to oil the bolt. Because if you do youll get a face full of oil when the gun is fired. And I have even seen them go full auto when too much oil applied. Does anybody know why this happens?

germanguns

Hmmm...

I was pretty sure that the full auto fire was from the firing pin getting stuck. My friend also had this happen. I blamed it on it being dirty, which to me would explain the firing pin getting stuck, but that might not be the case.

As well, I very lightly oil my SKS's slide and such. Just stuff that rubs together a lot. Never really had a problem with oil in the face... but I do oil very lightly, even a little on the bolt. Just enough to make it not sound like sandpaper against metal.

desert maus

FWIW, I personally like German Flectar. It's one of the most effective camo patterns ever, aside from the new "digital" camo patterns anyways (which, although extremely effective, look to me like a computer barfed up it's lunch.) But the flectar blends well in most any "woody" area, and I think it would do well in your neck of the woods, so to speak. I personally also like winter camo pattern's, which would fit well here in Colorado (hmmm, winter-colored flectar might be cool...)
So, after all that, my personal picks would be:

German flectar
winter camo (only effective half the year though)
Midnight camo (only effective half of the day...the other half)
East German rain

itgoesboom

Desert,

I think you are right about east German and flectar. Although i am really considering the Ambush camo.

I want to get something that looks good, not tacky, and fits within the area that i live. I would hate to show up at the range with afghan desert when i am in the middle of a forest. :rolleyes:

I will have to see what i go with after i pick up the rifle, but right now i think that it will be between flectar and ambush. I think those will match my area the best, and will be unique enough for me.

The snow camos also look really cool, but, i don't spend much time in the snow.

I.G.B.