Impulse purchase.....screw up??

bswiv

I stumbled on a S&W 745, .45ACP today that looked like a good deal. Had no time to do research and was unfamiliar with the pistiol but as it looked perfect I could not imagin that it was worth less than what he was asking for it.

So I bought it and now I've looked it up on the web and I see that it is actaully a discontinued target model, something I should have figured out when I looked at it based on the signts on it.

And then I realize that with the sights and the safety the way they are it will be likely to hang up on stuff even coming out of a drawer or the like.

Obviously it is WAY to big to carry..................

So is it worth changing the sights and seeing about altering the safety or do I just sell it and move on.........???

DiscoRacing

Not sure how easy would be to change the sights... would be interested in purchasing from you if you choose to sell, depending on condition/price.

drail

I shot IPSC with one when they were first introduced. Very accurate, very reliable, beautiful trigger pull. I never could get used to the grip angle (compared to a 1911) or the slide mounted safety (push up to fire). Had a couple of trigger springs break (keep spares on hand). Mine would happily eat any handload I fed it (ball, 200 gr SWC, 185 gr SWC, even empty cases) Magazines were expensive at the time but now they're all expensive it seems (good ones anyway). This was S&W's first attempt at marketing a competitive SA IPSC gun in .45 ACP (back when that's what real men shot). Tom Campbell of Team S&W did very well for a few years with one. I switched over to 1911s and never looked back. Does yours have adjustable sights? Does the slide have "DVC" stamped on it? I don't really think it "way too big to carry" but I guess that depends on what you're used to. With a proper holster it's really no worse than a 1911.

Last edited:

bswiv

This is it.

Sense I posted yesterday I did some looking and it seems that changing the sights will be more trouble than it is worth. As for carrying it, to big for me. Really thought it would be a good one to have for the truck or the boat or by the bed but should have paid closer attention to what it was.

In retrospect it should probably be in the hands of someone who will shoot it and not mess it up by banging it around like I will.

IMG_0343.jpg

jfrey

The 745 was/is a good target gun, only surpassed by the 845. I believe they were built in the Performance Center while Paul Liebenberg was running it. It would be rather big and heavy to carry on a regular basis. Seems it would be rather expensive for a truck or boat gun too, but others may do it. If you want a gun to shoot and enjoy the 745 will fill the bill nicely. IMHO you have better choices for a carry gun.

Sevens

I saw one at a gun show quite some time ago... I was impressed. I think they had about $650 on it, and that was before the Barackolypse.

What did you pay for that pistol?

bswiv

Paid $350.........that is why the "IMPULSE" kicked in.

While I did not really know what it was I knew full well it was worth more than $350. And yes I got a bill of sale and I would be VERY surprised if the old guy who had it was a thief.

From the posts here, and from what a friend who is a shooter, rather than a hunter like I am, all say I should sell it to someone who target shoots. It would be a shame for me to mess it up.

Glock_19

If you plan on banging it around or putting it in a boat I would try to sell it and at least get your money back or possibly make a little and invest in a polymer.

Sevens

Oh heck yeah, that's a must buy at $350.

If it were me, I also wouldn't carry it and I wouldn't try to modify it to suit carry.

You aren't in Ohio by chance?

Que

Did you screw up? Nope. Even if you sell it you will get a good bit more than you paid for it. I'm not fond of telling folks what they should do with their own property, but I like your notion of getting this one to someone who can appreciate it for what it is. On the other hand, if you shoot it you might come to see the value of it as it is.

Is it a good carry gun? Not really, being large and heavy with a steel frame. Also, you have very blocky sights that will be prone to snagging, not to mention the extended mag release. Those sights tend to be of limited use in lower light conditions.

A truck or boat gun? Possibly, but there would be better choices, even guns closely related to the 745, particularly the 645, 4516, and 4506, if you stay with Smiths.

I have a 745, like yours an IPSC 10th Anniversary. Not all were the anniversary model with comparatively few made (I can check the Standard Catalog for the number), and they tend to carry a premium. It's a very, very good shooter. I found mine sitting in a dark corner of a gun shop case. For months I didn't ask to see it as I figured the price would be sky high. One day I asked and when I saw the $275 tag thereafter the gun only left my hand to fill out the 4473. It was NIB with all papers, the whole nine yards. You will see them sell on GunBroker well north of $500 into the six hundreds.

Whether you keep it (hopefully as is) or sell it, you didn't screw up.

Jim Watson

The rear sight on the illustrated pistol is a replacement.
The standard sight on the 745 was a Novak Competition fixed target sight.

I don't see a potential for hangups coming out of the bureau drawer.

Que

Yup, that is a replacement sight. Also, the top mag appears to be for a 1911. Here's what the gun looks like in original condition, photos of mine:

sw745.jpg

BTW, the sights look much blockier when looking through them from the rear. These might not be bad on the draw.

comn-cents

Why not keep it as is? Great gun, accurate, reliable, great trigger. What more could you ask for. Great price also. Keep it, shoot the crap out of it, enjoy!

"Paid $350.........that is why the "IMPULSE" kicked in."

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 745 was a limited production semi-auto, and can be considered to be "uncommon".

For $350, I think you got a smoking deal.

Que

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 745 was a limited production semi-auto, and can be considered to be "uncommon".

Yup. According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson the 745 was produced 5000 in number between 1986 and 1990 with serial numbers ranging from DVC0001 to DVC5000, not all having the 10 Anniversary designation.

Also, correcting my earlier statement, those adjustable sights are probably original as some 745 had them, the guns having a product code 103727. I strongly suspect that your gun is original. I have never seen a 745 ISPC with adjustable sights before which probably makes it even more uncommon. I'm guessing that your serial number might be higher towards 5000.

As to the 745 being a Performance Center gun, I don't know about that. The 845, 945, and 952 were/are. Performance Center guns are specified as being Performance Center guns, but some others do get attention there such as the TSW where the slides and frames are matched (and number matched) so it's possible that the 745 has the benefit of the Center as well in some way.

bswiv

Thanks for all the information. I looked hard, with my glasses on, at the sight and the dovetail. If it's a replacement they managed to do it without scratching or denting anything.

Someone mentioned a "product code".....I don't see such anywhere on it.....do see serial # though.

I also had a hard look at the clips. Both have S&W .45 stamped on them and seem to fit well. They look as unused as the gun.

I'm going to take the advice and sell it locally and get something more appropriate for the boat/truck...... or just stick with the old Airweight.....