Impulse buy S&W 1911PD

DonR101395

I stopped into one of my favorite gun stores yesterday at lunch to pick up some SD ammo to test before I switch to it and order a large quantity. Well, they told me they had just become an LEO/MIL distributor for S&W. I went to the S&W LEO/MIL counter they had set up since the last time I had been there. I walked out with this
DSC00107.jpg

DSC00106.jpg

$795 and a $100 mail in rebate brings it down to $695:)
Oh yea, I bought the ammo I went there for also:eek:

Last edited:

tom234

Such a deal...:) It looks like the #108293 has replaced the #108296 for a fulls size with Scandium frame.

mdell2

I did the same thing with a 4.25 inch 1911PD. Love the weapon and if yours shoots as good as mine, you're going to be very happy. I just wish they made a compact version. Great price by the way! Enjoy.

44 AMP

Staff
My son got one of these

And we shot together on his last visit home before going back overseas (Korea, this time). I can only compare it against my old Colt Govt. model (mine has target sights). The S&W is lighter, no doubt due to the alloy frame. I found it to have a bit more muzzle flip than my all steel Colt. The S&W is a very fine gun, the only problem I had with it was I found the "hump" at the bottom of the grip safety uncomfortable when shooting. My son did not, infact, he said he never noticed it.

I would own one of these without question (even though I don't care for the rail) if it could be had without that hump on the grip safety. It is a personal thing, no doubt.

Be aware that standard 1911 grips will not fit on the SW1911PD, because the spacing on the grip screws is slightly different than on a Colt 1911A1. Not much, but just enough different that you cannot put regular grips on this gun. You must use grips made for the S&W 1911. And, I forgot to mention, it has a full length guide rod, but the nice plastic case it comes in has a bushing wrench, and you will need to use it. I did find the huge beavertail took some getting used to, mostly how it made it difficult for me to easily thumb cock the hammer. I have never had any trouble with the regular GI configuration, so this gun with "all the bells and whistles" was both a treat and enough different from what I was used to to be a little unsettling. Nice gun though.

The gun had now about 400 rnds through it, and functions well. My son was a bit disappointed because he could only get 2.5" 7 shot groups @25 yds. Of course, he was using Blazers!

DonR101395

Be aware that standard 1911 grips will not fit on the SW1911PD, because the spacing on the grip screws is slightly different than on a Colt 1911A1.

Not sure what you're talking about with this one. I tried the VZ grips off of my Colt and they fit perfect. I ordered a set of VZ black canvas 320s that came in today and fit like a glove.
It shoots very nice. I was printing 2.5-3" five shot groups with a few flyers bringing them out to 4" at 25 meters today while messing around with it. All I had on hand was some Blazer and Wolf, I need to get my reloading press back online so I can work up some loads for it. I also replace the FLGR with a Colt standard plug and guide rod. I'm just not much of a fan of FLGR in a 1911.

bluedog

Nice!

I recently bought one just like it except that mine has a stainless frame in addition to the slide, all with the melonite finish....I got it from the LEO section at Bud's.....it is not listed in the S&W web site....they told me that it was an overrun from either a military or LE special order contract.