Impulse buy heaven

Carbon_15

Ran by the local gunshop to pick up a few boxes of 10mm UMC's and left with this!!!
It was just to dang pretty to resist, but I must admit to not really being up on my Colts. Can anyone fill me in on the details of this pistol? Its only marked as "Colt Custom", what series is it? Was $800 even a decent price? What exactly is custom about it? Other than the finish it looks pretty stock. Is there an edition limit? Or any other details you Colt folks might have.
Thanks
Jason

P.S. any care and feeding tips for the bright stainless would be GREATLY apreciated!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 398

Carbon_15

last one...I promise.

Does anyone know where I could get some smooth thumbrest grips for it? Not the orthopedic, bullseye style, bt the kind with the small thumb pedistal on the left grip panel.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 204

Shawn3879

Congrads on the impulse purchase! That is a great looking Colt! Thanks for the nice pics. Must say I am guilty of a few "must have it NOW!" puchases. Let us know how it shoots! :)

Spackler

Hey, didn't Burt Young carry one of those in "the Killer Elite"?

Now you need some ivory grips and a gold tooth.

Seriously, that's way nice. In .38 Super no less! How come I can never find stuff like that in my local shops? I go looking all the time, hoping to stumble on to something like that. Congrats.

Daniel Watters

This was a fairly recent limited edition...within the last 18 months or so. It is set up similiar to the earlier Colt 'El Presidente'

The odd thing that I noticed in one example was that the barrel has an extra narrow profile similiar to pre-Series '70 .38 Supers. The only aftermarket bushing available for this barrel profile is from Kings Gun Works. In fact, the pistol I examined is probably now yours. (Say 'Hey!' to Tony, Leslie, Aaron, and the rest of the crew.)

For ammo, check out Georgia Arms' .38 Super load: a 147gr JHP @ an advertised 1200fps. I've fired it in a friend's custom Caspian single stack, but have not run it across a chrono. PMC 130gr FMJ is rediculously dirty, underpowered, and stinks like a heavily used ashtray.

As for magazines, I didn't like the 10rd Wilson .38 Super mags. They were much too difficult to load to capacity. I tried one MagPack 10rd mag, and its follower and spring stuck in the bottom of the tube after it was loaded. Metalform 10rd mags were okay, but nothing special. Shooting Star mags are difficult to fully load the first few times, but it gets easier. My friend with the Caspian eventually standardized on these.

For the thumbrest stocks, try Herretts. I believe that they have one model contoured exactly like you requested.

Carbon_15

LOL Spackler, Its not bad enough my wife has been calling me Huggy Bear (from Starsky and Hutch) all day :D

Last edited:

Zundfolge

Wow Carbon, looks like you have a keeper there (I'm talking about your wife, not the colt)

If I "Impulse Buy" an $800 gun I have to sleep on the couch for a few days (at least I won't be called "huggy bear", but a few names I can't repeat in this forum ;) )

JG

Thats a fantastic looking gun, hope it shoots as good as it looks.....makes me feel better when I see others are spending money. I'm like a glutton for punishment in regard to my spending habits.

Enjoy.

Kermit

Congrats! Sure is a pretty piece you picked up. Don't know about actual value, but I think what you paid was, at the very least, fair ;)

Carbon_15

Then again, I did just give here this ;) :D ;)

Anyone tried the Aguila .38 Super ammo?

Attachments

• b19.jpg
    b19.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

chaim

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that she just gave you that? :D

Ok, mutual gift, maybe.

Anyway, congratulations on both!

Edison

Obviously, YOU weren't firing blanks. :D

Nice looking piece (I'm sure the baby is nice also -- it would be both impolite and unwise to tell an armed man otherwise). The gun must be worth at least $800, that's what you paid for it. Thinking otherwise will only give you heartburn. ;) Of couse if it's worth a lot more, it'll be hard to wipe that big grin off you face.

Congrats on both accomplishments!

Right now my wife wouldn't be happy with either item!!!

Edison

7th Fleet

I've owned a Colt Series 80 Officers Model Ultimate which is the bright polished stainless like your is. I bought mine back in the early 1990s. It's so darned bright, shiny and pretty that it's never been shot and it never leaves the gun safe, except when I take it out about twice a year and admire it.

7th