Improving accuracy on a 700VS.

Death from Afar

I am going to get a new barrel on my 700VS which is just starting to show throat erosion. I will get it recrowned. It already had a Jewell trigger. Is it worth getting it rebedded? I understand that the VS's dont respond greatly to a rebedding job due to the aluminium bedding block running down the stock. Any ideas? It currently shoots about .6 MOA, but I think it is capable of better.

Zekewolf

My .223 VS shoots in the 2's and 3's. All I did was torque the action screws per H-S Precision's recommendations and install a Timney trigger. I'd suggest that you see how the new barrel shoots before doing any bedding. There are those who skim bed their H-S Precision stocks, regardless of how they're shooting.

Zekewolf

I tried to find that info on H-S Precision's website, but didn't see it there. The torque spec is 65 in/lbs, but I notice that Remington now shows 45 in/lbs on their website. I've been using 65 in/lbs for years, with good success. I don't shoot anything but my reloads, and I do use the Stoney Point tool for determining o.a.l. Be sure you use an in/lbs, not ft/lbs torque wrench! :)

pdh

Zekewolf.....what kind of torque wrench do you have?

I also have a 700VS in a 22-250 and I have to borrow a torque wrench from where I work. I can't seem to find one. I would like to have one like the one I get from work(Snapper) but they want around $200.00 for it.
Surely I can find one alot cheaper that that.

Death from Afar

Its quite surprising that the amount of torque can effect accuracy so. I might get mine checked by my gunsmith, it might have worked loose. I vaguely recall taking the barrel off the stock years ago and not "setting" the stock back in properly.

Zekewolf

Home Depot sells a pretty decent "click" type in/lbs. torque wrench for under $60. I also use it for automotive-related maintenance.

Yeah, with a rifle like the VS, improperly torquing the action screws can cause erratic groups. If you've taken measurements that indicate significant throat erosion, then a new barrel is probably in order. However, you might try properly torquing the action screws and varying your distance-to-lands bullet seating.

Death from Afar

Thanks for the advice. I am going to throw the old barrel, and put on a fluted one, if nothing else. But will get my gunswmith (gunworks.co.nz) to rebarrel the action. I think I may only have 500-1000 rds left, which is not many. :(