Impromptu .380 ammo test

Ruark

I was killing (no pun intended!) some time this afternoon and decided to test some .380 ammo I had on hand. My carry gun is a SIG P238. I've often mentioned that my carry ammo is Buffalo Bore 100 gr. hardcast flat nose.

The BB 27A/20 is pretty powerful ammo. It will penetrate 32" of ballistic gelatin, and will go through just about anybody, bones and all. It works for me. I carry 7+1 in an OWB holster @ 3 o'clock, and two more 7 rnd. mags at 8 o'clock. Overpenetration could be an issue with this ammo, depending on where you used it.

Earlier, I had carried Hornady CD. Some people simply advise to carry FMJ in a .380, because of its marginal power, especially if the target is wearing heavy clothes or the aiming point is blocked by an arm or something. Others advise against this because the hard round nose tends to "slip" through tissue without causing much damage or impact, short of a head shot.

So, I wanted to just see how they compared, when shooting into something really solid, sort of bone-like: solid wood. The "test" was firing each round into a stack of 2 x 4's. The boards were tacked together, and resting on solid concrete, to eliminate "give" or "bounce" of any kind. Range was 3 feet. Here are the results:

PMC Bronze, 90 gr. round nose FMJ: almost all the way through 1st board, slightly dented 2nd board. You could see the nose of the bullet just flush with the bottom of the 1st board.

Speer Lawman, 95 gr. round nose FMJ: through 1st board, 1/3" into 2nd board. You could see the base of the bullet about even with the surface.

Hornady Critical Defense, 90 gr. HP, cone shaped with elastic "filler" in the HP: came about 1/8" short of going all the way through the 1st board.

Buffalo Bore 27A/20, 100 gr. hardcast flat-nose: completely through first 2 boards, 3/4" into 3rd board.

This wasn't a professional laboratory test or anything, but it was fun. Conclusion: I think I'll stay with the Buffalo Bore. :D

Aiko

My anecdotal experiences totally support your test. I carried the P238 for about a year and after trying all the BB rounds and most of the HP SD rounds through milk jugs, the 100 gr +P is the ONLY .380 round I would carry.

AFK

perfect timing for this post. I was going to go to Cabelas tomorrow to get a few different 380 SD rounds to test in my Kahr p380. I will keep these in mind.

Nomadicone

Thanks for your post. I may have to check out the Buffalo Bore 100 gr cast. I'm carring Cor-Bon 90 gr but I'm not certain they will expand I like the penatration but don't much care for ball

RickE

Is Sig ok with +P loads in the 238? Kel Tec, the LCP & TCP Ruger/Taurus say no. Maybe just for carry, but not much more?

mudgun83

Is penetration more important than expansion? I like and carry the Hornaday CD in my Sig P238 because all the reading I have done indicates that it will pretty much always expand uniformly, even through heavy winter clothing, making it (for me) a great all-season choice for ammo. It will go about 11 inches into ballistic gel. I like the idea of a bigger hole and more damage than a clean hole and complete passage through a target, but that's just my opinion.

Kreyzhorse

Great read and very interesting results. My .380 is a LCP so I won't run +P through it, but your test does seem to confirm using FMJ over HP in my .380.