Importance of heavy barrel

socom58

Is a heavy barrel that important to a target rifle? Will it give better overall accuracy? Should I eliminate a rifle from consideration because it doesn't have one if my primary use is target shooting? Thanks :)

Picher

A heavy barrel is often (but not always) more accurate in a target rifle because it is stiffer and vibrates less; however, the reasons for using a heavy barrel are primarily to minimize barrel heating effects on point of impact. Heavier barrels have more steel to absorb heat from firing, so may distort less, maintaing POI over a greater number of rounds than thin barrels. They also provide more weight, making the rifle easier to hold steady, while reducing felt recoil.

For practical hunting applications where first-shot accuracy is paramount, and quarry is relatively large, a heavy barrel may not provide any noticeable accuracy improvement.

Picher

hippo

Heavy Barrel

That's a good question and you already have a good answer. But you should take into consideration the shooting system and not concentrate on the barrel alone. A heavy barrel, if not trued to the reciever for example, or part of many other aspects that make up a shooting system, is not going to be the complete answer to accurate shooting. It will make a positive difference, no doubt, but a heavy barrel in itself does not make for an accurate rifle. Bedding the reciever, torqueing the action screws, floating the barrel, honing the trigger sear are just a few things to tinker with when trying to get a very accurate gun. Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention the ammunition too. But that's another story.

629 shooter

Since you mention target shooting as the primary consideration, with all things being equal I would choose the heavy barrel gun. Like Picher mentioned the POI being maintained as more rounds are fired favor the heavy barrel. When shooting from a rest the heavier gun always seemed to be more stable to me.

If you are going to shoot a lot from the off hand standing position the weight of some of the heavy barrel guns may be a factor.

My newest rifle is a Rem 700 LTR with a 20" fluted barrel - still somewhat of a heavy barrel but the enitre rifle is not too heavy to take shots off hand. The 3 Remingtons I have owned prior to this one were 26" heavy barrel guns - all produced great accuracy for me but were best suited to shooting off a bipod or some kind of rest.

Scorch

All other things being equal, a heavier barrel is not a lot more accurate than a lightweight barrel of rthe first shot. Since you spoke of target shooting, the thing to consider is the second, third, etc, shot. As the barrel heats up, accuracy begins to suffer, sometimes to the point that you cannot reliably hit what you are shooting at. In target terms, this means your groups open up and approach 1".
A heavier barrel is a larger piece of metal, and will absorb more heat before you begin to notice any change in point of impact. Absorbing more heat also means less dimensional distortion when they are hot. Heavier barrels are also more rigid, improving accuracy. They have less whip and smaller vibrations. There are numerous reasons why heavier barrels are better for target shooting. Not for everything, but definitely for target shooting.
For a more technical point of view, go to www.varmintal.com. He's a retired engineer, and has done a lot of pretty sophisticated analyses of rifle stuff.