I'm thinking the unthinkable...

Anyone who has followed me here over the years knows how much I love revolvers, especially S&W revolvers. My primary carry handguns over the last 30+ years have been various types of revolvers starting with a Charter Arms and then graduation to various models of S&W.

Over the years I've occasionally carried semi-autos, primarily a Taurus PT-22 when I need something really small or my P7.

But now I'm seriously thinking about making a my S&W 410 in .40 S&W my primary CCW, especially in winter.

I recently bought a Bianchi belt slide holster for it, and I REALLY like how it rides on my hip (especially now that I've lost a lot of weight).

I'm also doing a lot more traveling these days and through some sketchy areas in Virginia, so I'm thinking that something a bit more powerful than a 5-shot .38 Special snub might be in order.

Never really thought I'd consider leaving a revolver at home in favor of a semi-auto as my primary.

Wishoot

Such a personal choice with no right or wrong answer.

I find a 5-shot J-Frame (about to wear new Crimson Trace grips) suites my needs 99% of the time, but there are certainly occasions where having more capacity is comforting.

btw.... congrats on losing weight. I know how difficult that can be.

aarondhgraham

Make whatever adjustment you feel necessary Mike.

Self-imposed restrictions are made to be broken by one's own "self".

Aarond

P.S. But, I did feel the firmament of the earth tremble a bit as I read your post. ;)

CDW4ME

Consider the options of having pistol on belt and revolver in pocket, especially if carried in weak hand pocket. :)
Keep the momentum of positive change going. :cool:

Not directed toward OP:
Any subsequent comments about "needing" two guns, living in a war zone, not a cop, ect... is evidence of not considering the benefit of options.
:rolleyes:

I really don't have a weak hand when it comes to shooting a handgun.

I never realized it until a couple of people pointed out it but midway through a falling plate or bowling pin match I'd shift my gun from one hand to the other and, depending on the course of fire, back again.

Never knew I was doing it.

reteach

I consider myself a wheelgun guy, but I too sometimes feel the need for a semi with more capacity and quicker reload capability. The 410 is still a classic style pistol, so not a radical change from your norms. Seems like a good move.

JDBerg

Mike Irwin: said:
But now I'm seriously thinking about making my S&W 410 in .40 S&W my primary CCW, especially in winter.

You never need vindication to carry a 3rd Gen S&W!

PolarFBear

Whatever happened to all those 3rd gen Smith's? I was "lucky" enough to pick up a .45 Model 457 over the weekend for $420. Have a 669 and a 6906. Lost my best one, a 3913, in a "domestic" dispute some years back. Have bunches of firearms but the, now old, Smith's are tip top.

Is the 410/411 considered to be a third generation? I thought it was the value line generation that came after the third generation.

I also have a 4506-1, which is one of my absolute favorite handguns. I've considered carrying it, but give its size I'd use a shoulder holster.

As for the Sig?

No. Just no.

riverdog

I started shooting handguns with a Colt 1911, then discovered revolvers and then Glock. My current HD pistols are a S&W Mod.19 and a Glock G-19. When I carried it was the G-19.

ms6852

I carried a 1911 45 acp for years, and just recently got the bug to carry a wheel gun. Mine new carry is the 686+ with the 3" barrel. I truly love it but kicks like a mule compared to my 1911.

Spats McGee

Administrator
. . . .But now I'm seriously thinking about making a my S&W 410 in .40 S&W my primary CCW, especially in winter.

I recently bought a Bianchi belt slide holster for it, and I REALLY like how it rides on my hip (especially now that I've lost a lot of weight). . . .
I don't know of anything wrong with that combination. IMHO, choosing a carry gun is a surprisingly personal decision. You've got to know what's right, for you, in your circumstances.

Congratulations on the weight loss, too!

ETA: And when I switched to a Glock after many years of hating them, I think it was Tom Servo who posted that "there comes a time in every boy's life when he notices changes . . . ." :p

Cosmodragoon

Sounds good to me. I still carry a revolver for much of the year when wardrobe is variable. The LCR (and formerly a J-frame) is easy to carry in almost any attire. That meant .38 special for me because I find .357 magnum markedly unpleasant to shoot on that platform and I like to train with what I carry. However, that left me with some internal conflict because I view .38 special in a snub with the same "marginal" lens as .380 and five shots isn't a lot. Getting into .327 Federal a couple years ago really saved this carry choice for me.

During that third of the year when weather and wardrobe dependably allow, I switch to a higher capacity semi-auto. I used to be a naysayer on .40 S&W but I eventually discovered that it was because I had been using it in tiny guns. That's totally subjective but on the right platform, I think .40 is fun to shoot. While modern 9mm is good, .40 S&W does do more damage downrange and that's not a bad thing.

lee n. field

Anyone who has followed me here over the years knows how much I love revolvers, especially S&W revolvers. My primary carry handguns over the last 30+ years have been various types of revolvers starting with a Charter Arms and then graduation to various models of S&W.

Over the years I've occasionally carried semi-autos, primarily a Taurus PT-22 when I need something really small or my P7.

I recently bought a Bianchi belt slide holster for it, and I REALLY like how it rides on my hip (especially now that I've lost a lot of weight).

Never really thought I'd consider leaving a revolver at home in favor of a semi-auto as my primary.

"If the foundations are shaken, what can the righteous do?"

But now I'm seriously thinking about making a my S&W 410 in .40 S&W my primary CCW, especially in winter.

Well, it is an obsolete gun, in an out of favor with the cool kids caliber. :)

I'm also doing a lot more traveling these days and through some sketchy areas in Virginia, so I'm thinking that something a bit more powerful than a 5-shot .38 Special snub might be in order.

Real revolver geeks would say, carry a second snub. :rolleyes:

I've been fickle lately, mostly carrying my Taurus snub over the past half year or so. But, if I was to be knowingly going into the "sketchy areas" around here, darn betcha I'd be upping my game to my G19 or XD40. (note to self, holster search for the XD, after the holiday).

Carry what you want, for reasons that seem good to you.

Last edited:

magnut

Just carry both. Five shot snubbies make decent backup guns. Primary.... meh.... definitly not ideal for more populated areas.

410 is a good solid pistol that is easy to handle and carry. 40s&w is one of the better rounds for self defense.