I'm sad....

woad_yurt

I'm posting this here because there are times when one wants to say something to someone who'll understand. I think some of you folks will....

I have a '62 Plymouth Valiant, my baby, that needs a rear end/differential rebuild. The noise it makes is just horrible, like it's screaming in agony. It's the only thing I can't do by myself on that car because I don't have the tools or the shop to do the job. So, I have to pay someone else and it's going to cost, big time.

To get the money, I have to sell off some guns. Choosing which was not easy. It took a while to come to a very difficult decision.

So, goodbye, H&R 676 DA convertible revolver (.22LR/WMR) with 12" barrel, in your original box with papers. Goodbye also, near perfect, original Whitney Wolverine in your numbered box w/original literature.

I know I'll never see either of you ever again.

I feel like I have limited space in a lifeboat and I have to choose among family members who stays and who goes. First, my cat of 16 years died and, now, this. I hate this crap. :(

Oh yeah, my mother just broke her foot. Sigh....

Last edited:

PT-92

Hey man,

Hang in there. Times are really tough now and it's hard to keep one's faculties together. Just keep plugging away and there will be light at the end of the tunnel. Sorry to hear, in particular, about your cat and Mom. We can always get guns later on (provided the elections turns out favorably) even if not the very same models.

-Cheers

deputy tom

yurt,don't sell your prized pistols.I went thru the same situation a few weeks ago_Ordered ring and pinion and installation kit at Summit Racing for $271.00 shipped.A local shop installed it for $150.00.I will be paying off the charge card for a while but didn't get rid of items that can't be replaced.Another option is buying an entire rear end axles and all at a junk yard.No special tools or knowledge to do a complete swap vs. setting up the rear end parts which is very tricky.tom.

Last edited:

Smaug

Charge the car repair. Keep the guns you love, and pay off the CC instead of buying more guns/ammo/range time in the near future.

Creature

Guns are not commodities to be traded or sold! They are to be hoarded and collected only.

Regret regret regret!

Wuchak

I agree with the advice given to keep the guns. If you do need to sell some sell only those that are readily replaceable e.g. Glocks

I'd charge the fix if necessary and look for a part-time job for a few months to pay it off quickly. Something 10 hours a week or so. With Christmas approaching there are a lot of seasonal jobs like that popping up.

woad_yurt

I don't do credit cards, folks. I did once and it wasn't a good experience. I do have another Wolverine, btw. It's an early one that actually has the Wolverine name on it. It's in good shape, but not good enough that I feel papranoid about shooting it.

To deputy Tom:
While it's apart, I want to make it a 3.55 limited slip (posi for you GM people.) It's going to cost around $800-$900 total. It's an 8 1/4" rear. All of the good ones are 8 3/4" and they're all too wide for the car. Even if I had an 8 3/4 narrowed to fit, I'd have to change the hubs to keep the same bolt pattern on the rims or I'd need two different rims and an additional spare tire. Either way, with the narrowing, it'll cost way more. I want it to look stock.

Look at the car! It's too cool to let sit, you know? Since I have another Wolverine, I'm opting for wheels.

Val01w.jpg

kristop64089

I want that Mustang(66?)

I came to a point where I thought I may have to sell a gun. We just had another baby, and wife is off work for 6 weeks, just bought a new house, yada-yada-yada. I chose to pick a gun I knew I could live without, but still make enough to buy another with the leftover scratch. But that was for family.

If it came down to cars for me, I have 4 others, if you have another ride, I'd buy parts when money allowed, if not....got 2 feet:D

bigghoss

I just had to put a new crate motor in my blazer to the tune of $4800 thanks to the fact that I don't have my own shop. it was either that or buy a new truck and eat the $6000 I already have in it with the original purchase, new tranny, and new tires and wheels. but thats what credit cards are for:D

cbm1948

Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do!
Robert Schuller

This is a line quoted from a book by the same title. I know this may seem over simplistic to some people, but during tough times, and folks time are tough right now, it might help. It helped me overcome some tough times over 24 years ago. Just thought.

Clint

Pappy John

I know where you're coming from, woad yurt. I recently turned a .44 Special S&W 696 into a set of Michelin LTX AT2s for my pick-up truck, to get it ready for hunting season. The money wasn't going to come from anywhere else. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :(

Raytracer

Man, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles - especially your cat and your mom. While the car and guns are cool (that Valiant is very cool) they're just things, and things come and go. Don't get too hung up on them, treasure the time you spend with the people (and critters) that are important to you.

Having said that, it sounds like your priorities are with the car. See if you can find a gunnie friend that is willing to buy the revolver with the understanding that you can either buy it back when you get flush again, or you get first refusal if he ever sells it. I've been part of similar deals in the past - on both sides - and it can be a better option than outright letting something go.

Joe

bamabiker

Hi all, just signed up. I have been reading this forum for a while. Raytracer just beat me to my thought. If you have some one that would buy the guns with the agreement to sell them back when you get the money. I would do this to help a friend out as long as I could shoot the guns while in my posession.

Freeman1952

Not the Whitney!

Good God, man, don't sell the Wolverine if it is original! The Olympic Arms version can't hold a candle to it. I bought one when I was thirteen for twenty-five bucks, new, from Martin B. Retting in Culver City, CA, and sold it five years later for fifty...and thought I had made a killing. Now I would almost surrender the left half of my reproductive equipment to replace it. You WILL regret it in your old age if you do it!

pax

Beautiful car. :cool:

Bummer about the guns.

The only thing I really know about life is this: the seasons change.

Hang in there!

pax