I'm Proud of My Wife - Part II

JBP

It's been awhile, August, since my wife and I have been able to juggle our day schedules to get back to the range. Today we tried an indoor range that the gun shop I normally frequent just took over.

For my wife I borrowed a friends Beretta 21A and took along my Makarov 9x18. For myself it was my new S&W 40CS. The lighting could have been better and my wife had problems getting a good sight picture with the first two magazines but adjusted nicely and was getting every shot in the black. She preferred the handling of the Beretta to my two 22Lr revolvers that she fired last time but she liked the accuracy of the revolvers better. She tried one magazine with the Makarov & although she was in the 8 & 9 ring she did not like the recoil. I will try to find a range that has a S&W 317LS or S&W 331 for rent.

I've always favored wheelguns over semi-autos and had reservations about compacts in 40S&W but the CS40 has given me reason the re-think those ideas. Due to time considerations I only fired 75 rounds but was very happy with the results. No misfeeds from two magazines and I got the same groupings with both CCI Blazer and Sellier & Belot. The recoil was surprising less than my full size Taurus PT100.

A family that shoots together, stays together. Kudos to you in getting her involved in the shooting sports.

A woman officer I was training (trying to transition from revolver to pistol) hadn't received much training from her instructor. I took her out to the range with my CZ75 in 9mm. Before letting her shoot 9mm though, I put the Kadet 22 conversion kit on it. She did well and when she was acquainted with the pistol, I restored the gun to its original 9mm configuration. Had her do head shots at 15 yards and it was the first time in her career that she felt confident enough to do it and indeed, her confidence was not misplaced. My point, if you can get wifey to try a gun with the conversion unit (Ciener makes it for the Glock, the 1911 and the Beretta), then transition her. Recoil is mostly in the mind and I've demonstrated shooting my .45 Sig using only three fingers.
OK, when you get to that Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull that's a different story.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt