I'm new here. Hello!

CortJestir

Hello SOAK!

Just wanted to drop a line to say hi. I've been lurking for a few weeks now after having just received my permit to carry.

Purchased my first handgun the other day - a Sig p226 9mm with Siglights, to be used primarily to shoot at the range and for home defense. Should be coming any day now and the anticipation is killing me!

I'm kinda new to shooting, but it's something I've always wanted to get into and I know I've already been bitten by the bug pretty hard. Looking forward to it! :D

CJ

357 Python

Welcome. Don't be afraid to ask questions here or at the other gun forums.
"Experts" learn by two methods; trial and error, and asking questions. Asking is so much safer than trial and error. Even though this December will mark 30 years of carrying proffessionally (Private Security, Private Investigator, and Police Officer) I do not consider myself an expert. There are days when I gladly learn something new (new to me that is). I thank all those on this forum and the others for sharing their knowledge with me and hope I can return the favor once in a while.

JeffSSig

Welcome
Im rather new nyself and I have found most members here to be great!
Enjoy your new gun and always think saftey first!

Purchased my first handgun the other day - a Sig p226 9mm with Siglights, to be used primarily to shoot at the range and for home defense. Should be coming any day now and the anticipation is killing me!
Geez, you guys that get to have such nice first guns burn my buns. You should have to pay your does with cheap Jennings autos and Taurus revolvers like I had to do. :mad:

Oh, and welcome...I guess. ;)

CortJestir

Geez, you guys that get to have such nice first guns burn my buns

and

Nice choice!

Having known several LEOs in different municipalities, I asked around who carries what. Figured what was good for them was certainly good enough for me! The informal survey seemed to revolve around Sig Sauer. I didn't know jack about handguns. So I started my online research into Sig and stumbled onto this site while doing so. So little did I know! I've learned a ton since then. Great site with knowledgeable folks!

This may be my first handgun, but certainly not my last!

Still waiting for it to come in....I'm really hoping it comes today. Until then, the driving range (instead of the shooting range) will have to tide me over! :D

rwilson452

One must always remember that those LEO that have arms provided for them usually wind up with arms that meet minimum standards and are the lowest bidder.

Having known several LEOs in different municipalities, I asked around who carries what. Figured what was good for them was certainly good enough for me! The informal survey seemed to revolve around Sig Sauer. I didn't know jack about handguns. So I started my online research into Sig and stumbled onto this site while doing so. So little did I know! I've learned a ton since then. Great site with knowledgeable folks!

This may be my first handgun, but certainly not my last!

MacGille

When I was on the job, I carried a Colt Python 4". Off duty I carried a Colt Gov't model. 1911a1.

Welcome to the forum, I noticed that you said you have a CCW permit, but you don't know much about guns. Please get some good training BEFORE you carry concealed. For everyones safety. One tiny little mistake can change your life forever.:)

CortJestir

Welcome to the forum, I noticed that you said you have a CCW permit, but you don't know much about guns. Please get some good training BEFORE you carry concealed. For everyones safety. One tiny little mistake can change your life forever

I hear ya. Here in CT, you are required to take a safety course which must consist of no less than the NRA's Basic Pistol course and submit the certificate along with your application for a CCW. Live Fire of an auto or revolver is also required (no simulations, dry firing, plastic bullets or air guns) so new licensees who have never shot a handgun can get familiar with the real deal in a safe environment. But more training is always a good idea...There are a number of classes I plan on taking once I join the local gun club and range...