I'm lovin' my new Ruger 22/45

shu

Was in Austin a week ago. Stopped at McBride's and picked up a Ruger Mk III 22/45. Was really looking for the starter model - black iron, fixed sights - but the prices were good so I went a bit higher up the chain.

Nice weight, nice balance. decent trigger; mag and slide release work easily left handed. Just got back from a most satisfying half hour pinging 4 inch steel pipes at the nearby farmer's dirt backstop. Gun was happy to feed on the problematic Remington cheap-as-you-can-get 22LR.

Internet videos indicate these can be rather tight on dis-assembly when new. Barrel fixing pin, and barrel to frame fit are REALLY tight on this one. I could do without the LCI and silly safety lock on the Mk III, but that's what you get these days.

Worst part is the mags are a little kinky to load. Ctgs sometimes drop in and stand up rather than lay flat in position.

But it's a fun gun to shoot, and accurate. Good for trigger and eye exercise with inexpensive ammunition - which is what I was looking for when I bought it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF4149.JPG
    DSCF4149.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:

sigcurious

If you just push the follower down 1 round at a time instead of all the way down, no more rounds on end. Although I do find its easier on the fingers to push the follower all the way down then load, vs moving it one round at a time.

I too am loving my new 22/45! I think I need to go shoot mine now :D

bitttorrrent

awesome. glad you like it firing.

still have yet to fire my nib older mark II. I'll try to find time this weekend.

Mine was very very tight on initial take down. WATCH YOUTUBE VIDEOS first. I did not and took like an hour. I had to go out and buy a rubber mallet to get the barrel off. That is key to getting the pin assembly back in - the barrel must be aligned perfectly (all wholes at back - look down from top) with a little tap tap.

nicely built though and can't wait to fire. wish i could fire in back yard too, but i would get arrested.

aarondhgraham

Hello Shu,,,

Click here please,,,

Get one of these little doo-dads,,,
They make loading the mags so much easier.

I have the basic model you originally wanted to purchase,,,
It's a nice little handgun but I wish I would have upgraded one model,,,
It would have been nice to be able to mount a holographic optical sight on my gun.

Enjoy your pistol my friend.

Aarond

sigcurious

Aarond, do those work on the MKIIIs? They look pretty sweet, and I can't see a reason they wouldn't work on a MKIII but they only list them as MKI&II compatible.

shu

Had to go back and try some paper. Seven yards, off a sandbag, sitting in the pickup bed; ten rounds each, weak hand and eye.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF4158.JPG
    DSCF4158.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 469

DasGuy

It looks great. How much did it run you?

I think the 22/45 will be my first .22 (yes, I just admitted to not owning a .22 :eek:)

skoro

Those 22/45s are a lot of fun for plinking/target practice. I've had mine for almost four years now and it always comes along on range trips.

Marlin009

DasGuy said:
I think the 22/45 will be my first .22 (yes, I just admitted to not owning a .22 )

Well, the OP has been a member since 2000 and it sounds like he just got his first. It's never too late to get a .22 pistol. :D

I have a Mark III Target and love it. It's still a pain to strip and reassemble (tight) but I can almost do it without the book now. :rolleyes:

The barrel doesn't need to come off for routine cleaning. That's the hardest part, getting the holes lined up so the devil pin will go in.

Enjoy. :cool:

Stealth01

Shu,
After palying with it for a while, buy a VQ kit and install it. Buy a MK II bushing and lose the mag disconnect and remove the LCI finger... Then you will see what that gun can produce!!

e1bce23c.jpg

vikz

I have same model only mine came with the threaded barrel, and yes they are a lot of fun to shoot..

here is mine too..

20112245041.jpg

20112245045.jpg

Last edited:

chadio

shu - nice pistol!!

Almost bought a 22/45 (ended up with Browning Buckmark) really like your slabside stainless Ruger!!

:D

shu

Received and installed Sam Lam's hammer bushing today. Works like a champ.

Prying the mags out with a fingernail was an annoyance, but probably one I could have tolerated in time.

The big problem was the mag-out disconnect to the trigger. I like to keep my mags loaded; I also have this inconvenient habit - no matter how many times I've already looked - of peeking into the chamber immediately before a dry fire.

Not a good combination of habits.

Anyhow, problem solved. Ruger no doubt had their reasons for the mag-out disconnect, but to me the gun is safer without it.

Japle

+1 on the VQ add-ons. Their trigger, sights and comp make the gun much easier to shoot accurately.

Rightwracker.jpg

checkmyswag

Hope you enjoyed McBrides.

It does get a bit busy in there, but overall it's a good shop.

Not my favorite in ATX, but it's a good one.