I'm in a rut, not sure what to do...

I've basically got all of the guns that I want.

Maybe I should crush all of them and join HCI for a change in pace?

Seriously, any of you hit this point?

Sure there are a couple of guns I'd love to have, but I've got to be realistic. I'm not going to be able to dump out a couple grand or more on an original No.3 New Model in fantastic shape, and I'm not all that convinced that I want a repop.

I was going to get a double 28-gauge, but I hardly shoot the shotguns that I do have, and with the jump in ammo prices, why?

I rarely shoot rifles anymore...

I don't know what to do...

TimRB

Don't know which, if any, of these apply to you, but:

1) Get involved with a competitive shooting sport
2) Start reloading
3) Start a collection (a real one, like antique pistols, etc.)
4) Relax and just chill out for a year
5) Become a 2A activist for your state association
6) Try black powder shooting

Tim

chris in va

People get burned out on 'hobbies' every now and then.

Think about everything you've ever wanted to do in life. Pursue it.

Here's an example. I never thought I'd get into motorcycling. But 3 years ago I was given a locked up dirtbike in otherwise really good shape. I replaced the cylinder and piston, then started learning the clutch/throttle/gearshifter relationship out in a field. Now I'm looking to get a large-ish sport touring bike for multi day trips.

Take a hiatus from firearms. They're great and all, but still just objects.

"1) Get involved with a competitive shooting sport
2) Start reloading
3) Start a collection (a real one, like antique pistols, etc.)
4) Relax and just chill out for a year
5) Become a 2A activist for your state association
6) Try black powder shooting"

Good thoughts. I've done all to one degree or another over the years.

Eghad

Im am in the same funk....I havent shot anything in months. I want to try and return to CAS in a little while but my get up and go has left. :(

I want to get one of Those Burris XTR 1-4x scopes for my M15A2.....
for some reason I havent done it yet. :(

The other is scope my M1A match rifle...think about ir form time to time

Convert my DGR M1 Garand to a sniper rifle with a scope...Im still debating it.

I think that my eyes not being what they used to be is part of the problem. Frustrating when everything looks fuzzy.

mebbe I'll get around to that..lol

SundownRider

Feel the same way. Shot CAS for the last 10 years, but lately it really hasn't interested me. I recently purchased the last of the two "must haves" on my list of guns to get, and am now looking for something to get me going. Am going to try IDPA this August as a fix.
Recently picked up a GSG-5, which reignited my interest in plinking. Need to find some more time to get to the range.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Become a gun smith to tinker with other's toys?
Start building EBR's
Shoot more
Shoot farther
Or as my wife will rearrange the living room (I think she does it to make me stub my toe in the dark) when she is bored... relocate them and shuffle them up a bit to look different...
Have fun...
Brent

I am in the same boat right now myself. Nothing new appeals to me at this time...and hasn't for awhile.

One of the biggest problems is that I have what I consider the "best" of every category already. It is hard to get excited about new "deep cover" guns when you already have a Rohrbaugh and a couple Seecamps. It is hard to get excited about small revolvers when you already have several Smith J-frames. It is hard to get excited about a new 1911 when you already have several very nice ones (Springfields, Colts, and Paras) of all three major barrel sizes. It is hard to get excited about small carry guns when you already have a Kahr MK40, PPK's, Colt Govt 380 and a Beretta 84FS. It is hard to get excited about a polymer gun when you have 9mm, .357sig, and .45acp versions of polymer guns from H&K, Glock, and Springfield. It is hard to get excited about big booming range guns when you already have several 45colt and .44mag pistols in both DA and SA variations...and so on.

What I have been doing now is just keeping my eyes open for old guns that are in good condition. Something that can be a project and be restored to it's former glory or something that is just a nice gun that you cannot get new any more.

I do still keep myself open to something new catching my eye too. :)

Rich Miranda

Mike, this happens to everyone.

My advice: pursue a different hobby for a while. Maybe even completely leave the guns alone for a while, maybe a long while. When you return you'll likely be refreshed and will once again appreciate your guns.

back in Clinton era, is when my father in law died, leaving us his pretty large collection... I spent way too much money buying pre ban stuff, where I just burned myself out, while "manageing" the new collection...

I took a few years off... just as an example, Rugers p-90 had just been out for a year or two, when I got bored... several years later I built my own rifle & pistol range, & that slowly got me back interested in shooting again, & I realized, that my "real" interest was not in "ban items" anyway... I sold most of my EBR kind of weapons, & bought a couple of old Martini rifles, & single action revolvers... I'm finding my real interest in in that area...

I ( last year ) got my permit to carry, & coupled with my renewed interst in purchasing revolvers, I've begun investing again, & shooting more... & even though the political climate is back to the EBR frenzy, I'm buying new model Vaquero Montados, stainless Marlin Guide guns, & stainless Ruger single six 22 revolvers...

my newest project is to see how cheaply I can build the "ultimate SKS"... I think it's refeshing what my end result is turning into, & the low cost I'll have envested...

... & I'm much happier about spending the money, than I was backthen, buying high cap mags, & the guns they fit...;)

best luck in fullfilling your desire...

grymster2007

Would you have any interest in designing and building guns/parts/accessories?

I get bored with most things, but I always get a lot of satisfaction from taking a concept, modeling it in a CAD system and machining and testing prototypes. Keeps my primitive little brain stem occupied and maybe when I have some time to devote to it (retirement), I'll come up with something worth licensing.

Tinkering is one of my hobbies and I have tinkering ideas (if not the time yet) for all my other hobbies: cameras, motorcycles/ATVs, fishing, camping, cooking, golf and guns.

Diversity is what works for me.

velocette

Mike, I find it valuable to switch back & forth with my 3 passions. When I get bored or burned out with one of them I just move over to one or both of the others.

1, Shooting sports, reloading, etc.
2, Old sports car, restoration, driving.
3, Scuba diving & underwater photography.

I've found that after a while, the one that I have been neglecting, once again has merit and the one (s) I've been active with seem to fall off.
Right now, I'm diving and shooting a lot. The old Jag sits waiting for my attentions. By next year, this will change.

Good luck in finding new passions.

Roger

Mikeyboy

Do you hunt?

Do you shoot competitively?

War Re-enactment?

If anything else something tells me you got a large collection, and there is nothing wrong with that. Just sit on what you got and try something new, like archery, photography, dating foreign women ;)

ZeSpectre

Not so much in a hobby rut, more like the house renovations eat all my time. Still seem to be developing a new interest in airguns for some reason. :rolleyes:

kristop64089

Mike, I am there.
I was just getting ready to vent in a thread when I saw this.
I have most every (if not every) commericaly available semi-auto cartridge.
All of the revolvers I really want.(except for a 44mag).
All the rifles I can justify. (2 ar's, AK,SKS,) all my hunting rifles, If it walks, I can kill it.
Shotguns are covered....So, today I picked up my sons new Gun, and filled my 40S&W, 357sig void, buy picking up a 229.

What do I do now, summer is My busy season, so hobbies are on hold.
I never thought I would reach this point. ( I am glad I did)..I have had most guns, at one point or another, where do ya go from here?

I think I am going to build a pulling tractor...you'll know what I mean if you're a good ole boy

Selfdfenz

Mike,

Wow. Same boat...I keep hoping something new, different or simply whiz-bang will grab my attention but for about 6months now nada. I've thought about digging out all the empty brass I have for every caliber and reloading all of it. What for, I don't know.

The idea has crossed my mind that my lackadaisical attitude may be rooted outside my interest in shooting....perhaps some negative subliminal carryover concerns I have regarding the current state of US politics, world view, zeitgeist.

At least I know now it’s not just me.

Best,

S-

Buzzcook

Find a place you can wander about safely with a .22. take a kid and some soda and sandwiches and plink away for an afternoon.
Guns and shooting is just part of the equation. They are a means to an end not an end in themselves.