I'm going crazy trying to install pivot pin on AR lower

BombthePeasants

I have watched all the videos, it looks so easy, but I'll be doggone if it's impossible for me. I just cannot seem to capture the detent with the pin itself when I try to slide it into place. I may have to pay somebody to do it for me...

has anyone else had this much of a problem?

pack_rat

10 Second Solution

A 1/4" flat base drill bit will do the trick.

Use a small flat blade screwdriver or similar tool
to press and hold the detent in its channel.

Insert the shank of the drill into the pin holes
from the left side through the receiver.
This will hold the detent.

Butt the pivot pin against the bit.

Hold the pin and bit together and slide the pin
into the right side pin hole.

Feel the snap.

You are done.

Go easy on the peasants,
it's the varlets that need it.:D

Drive on,
p_r

Quentin2

The razor blade works well. I've also had luck using a clevis pin as a pilot to push out using the pivot pin.

The first time is tricky, after that no big deal.

Technosavant

I only launched one once. And I even found it again- I might be the first to do so.

I usually hold the detent with a small pair of precision needlenose pliers and I use the end of the pivot pin itself to push it in. When I get it all the way into the channel, I turn the pivot pin and slip it into place.

Pretty simple, really.

BombthePeasants

Well I finally got it; I needed help getting it in. I just had a devil of a time by myself. Y'all would be shocked to hear this but I launched the pin about a dozen times but amazingly enough I found it every time. I'm so glad it's over!!

Mobuck

They make a neat little tool for that purpose. I've only launched one of the last 20 or so since I got the tool.

Skadoosh

I only launched one once. And I even found it again- I might be the first to do so.

You may be right! Over the years I have sent two across my garage...and they have yet to reappear. And believe me, I have been on my hands and knees with a flashlight several times looking for 'em.

:eek: Doh!

Rangemaster556

I took a cheap Chinese screw driver and cut it down (it just happened to have the right diameter, I checked in advance.) I then started a small hole with a starter bit. I then drilled it out just over the diameter of the retaining pin. Bazinga I had a detent tool. Then I found I could buy one out of Bushmasters catalog for $9.99 I think. Oh well mine only took 2 hours to make. Glad to know I value my time at $5/hour.

BombthePeasants

For the record, since people keep adding to this post, I will state the conclusion to my quandary:

I discovered that the spring was a millimeter or 2 too long, I snipped a tiny bit off the spring, and it went in fine. I needed no razor blades, or Chinese magic trinkets, or other sorts of Tomfoolery. Thanks everyone!