I'm famous

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraigwy

This link was brought to my attention. About Walter Walsh, a marine/fbi guy and all his accomplishments.

I use to run Sniper Schools, using the M1C/D and later the M21s. I posted the picture of one of my classes a couple of times on various topics. Some how my sniper school was attached to this Walsh guy. I certainly don't remember him in the class. He has me by 40 years in age.

I don't know about Walter Walsh, but it makes you question the rest of the story, or the internet in general. Maybe Lincoln was right, "you cant believe everything you read on the internet:

Check out the second to last picture. I'm the guy standing up behind the scope.

I want my royalties.

http://badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=624477319177

Evan Thomas

"OK, I need a picture of a sniper school for this article." <does Google image search> "Ah, here's a nice one. I'll use this -- who cares where it comes from?"

Sue 'em for copyright violation, Kraig. :D

VonFatman

Ahhhh....lefty shoots righty.....the plot thickens.

Yep, folks just take the easy path.

I'd send the webmaster a little e-mail suggesting his/her need to make your next house payment!

Bob

globemaster3

I'm missing something. Next to last picture in the article is 2 Marines in the Pacific...

You may be old, but you're not THAT old!;)

KMAX

It was an entertaining article, BS or not. I'm not a saint, but I'm not sure about the need for the profanity, makes the story less believable. Sounds like a teenager telling the story.

globemaster3

You're right Kraig! In my haste to pen out the reply on the micro keyboard in the phone, I missed that huge point. We all know where the Army sits in relation to the Marines.

But by virtue of battle space, we also know where the Air Force sits in relation to both!:D

lamarw

The author certainly has difficulty communicating the English language without profanity.

I am no prude and have used all the profane words in the article. At the same time, I can communicate without their use particularly in a publicized article.

The author is not so :cool:

HiBC

I am in agreement that the author of the tribute lacks some style/quality points.
I had never heard of Mr Walsh.
We lost another member of The Greatest Generation at 106 yrs old.
Seems like his passing deserves to be recognized and honored.

IMO,it would have been better had the author approached the subject with Dignity.But maybe his approach is better than nothing.

RIP,Mr Walsh.

Buzzcook

The Marines sent him to Okinawa in 1945.

Everything else is just badassed frosting.

Seems like lots of internet articles borrow freely from other sources. I doubt you'll get any satisfaction from the author. But at least curse him out.

Madcap_Magician

I love that website. It should be self evident, however, that it is not the Washington Post, and I'm sorry, but it's pretty stupid for anyone who looked at the web site header to expect some kind of 'dignified' and 'objective' biography. :rolleyes:

What it is is an amusing tribute to a whole lot of mostly unknown people who had pretty incredible lives.

Mr. Walsh's obituary in the NYT, Washington Post, and Sun Times was less profane, but most of the salient facts are identical- he was a famous FBI agent who shot it out with a lot of gangsters, he was a Marine officer on Okinawa and one time did shoot a Japanese sniper who had his unit pinned down with a single shot from about 80 yards with a 1911, and he was an Olympic shooter.

kraigwy

Mr. Walsh's obituary in the NYT, Washington Post, and Sun Times was less profane, but most of the salient facts are identical- he was a famous FBI agent who shot it out with a lot of gangsters, he was a Marine officer on Okinawa and one time did shoot a Japanese sniper who had his unit pinned down with a single shot from about 80 yards with a 1911, and he was an Olympic shooter.

But he did not attend or help instruct my sniper school as adding the photo eludes to.

Doing that is a discredit to Walsh.

HiBC

Old Roper,Thank You!!That is a far better tribute to Mr Walsh.I recommend the read!

Madcap,I don't go to that website,Its just when Kraig writes something,I consider it worth reading.He is a Man I Respect.Since I was the one who mentioned Dignity,I assume it is me you are talking about when you use the word "Stupid".I take exception.

IMO,regardless of the authors typical style,on the day he writes about the passing of a 106 yr old Great American,it would be OK if he put his high school kid approach aside just long enough to be appropriate.

I truly do recommend Roper's link.Read it,then tell me who might seem stupid.

Thanks.

Kreyzhorse

It was an entertaining article, BS or not. I'm not a saint, but I'm not sure about the need for the profanity, makes the story less believable. Sounds like a teenager telling the story.

My thought exactly. I'm no prude either but there was no need for the profanity as it detracts from the actual story.

Cool picture though Kraig.

Status
Not open for further replies.