I'm eyeballing a LNIB (blue box) S&W Mod 10 pinned snubby

FunGramps

I need more info about it, like serial#, etc., but I found this 99% gun, pinned barrel model 10, .38 special, blue, in a mis-matched box, no shroud, for $550.
Looks like most of these in LNIB condition are going for around $300 more than that.

There's not a single scratch on this gun...a safe queen for sure. Barrel rifling is mirror bright. Bluing is perfect and original. Wood is perfect as well.

Any thoughts on price?

Thanks!

105kw

Great price, is it square butt, or round?
Buy it, it is very fair price.
Sorry you're on the wrong side of the state:)

105kw

If you ever want a set of original S&W finger groove combat grips, that may have been refinished, contact me.

44caliberkid

I hope you have bought this already. Clean old, pre safety hole, Smith’s are getting nothing but more expensive. I track a lot of S&W revolvers and the earlier autos on auction sites and they have been soaring for the last two years. Biggest increase is in N frame, pinned and recessed or with pre-model versions. The L and K frames have gone up $100 to $200, but you can still find a 686 now and then for $550. Good deals on Smiths and Colts are not to be passed up.

FunGramps

It's still there, but I'm hesitant. It's at a dealer's place who knows his guns, and the bluing is so nice with luster that I fear it may be re-blued. I wish that I was an expert in checking for a professional bluing job. Even the stamping is crisp and I can't see any color changes anywhere. The owner said he can't tell for certain, but he feels it is original. :confused:

105kw

There was a 10-5 2in square butt at my LGS. Price was $549.
It had blue wear, but was tight, with a good trigger. I passed because I didn't need another 2in.
The price is decent, if it is a reblue, you aren't going to get too badly hurt.
It may just have not been used, which is an alien concept to me, but I have seen a lot of closet guns. Still in new condition because it was in a closet or drawer.
Good luck.

44 AMP

Staff
It takes a true master craftsman to polish a gun and reblue it with all the markings left crisp (and as deep) as they were when it left the factory. Those folks are few, and far between. Even the factory sometimes winds up restamping guns after rebluing them.

Factory reblue (refinish) S&Ws are marked with a "star" usually under the grip and also, I'm told the letter B for a re blue and "N" for a re-nickel.

There are lots of S&Ws on the market these days with virtually perfect finishes, because their owners simply never used them and theyh spent their entire lives in waiting in a dresser/nightstand drawer or on a shelf and now, their heirs put them on the market.

If the gun you're looking at is a factory refinish it will be marked. If its not, its most likely the original finish, simply well preserved and virtually unused.

smee78

Well, I guess the question is do you want to buy this and shoot it and use it as designed or are you simply looking to buy it and not shoot it?

Will a reblue matter either way, if it's a solid gun and is destined to be a shooter then buy it and enjoy it. If you were looking to buy it as a collector then a reblue may matter, otherwise, just buy it and enjoy.

To me $550 for a 98% S&W prelock is a good deal any way you slice it.

FunGramps

Thanks for the education, guys! It is still there. I plan on carrying it on occasion, not a safe queen, so you gave me some good points. :)

MC 1911

It is a good price! I'm putting 10 of mine on consignment and none will be as low as that. Surprised it's still available!!

ATCDoktor

I picked up this 2” Model 10-11 several years ago for $500 and have not regretted the purchase one bit.

This specific dash series has the frame mounted firing pin sans the “Hilary hole” and has been a reliable and accurate range companion through many thousands of rounds.

If a two inch Model 10 is what you’re looking for you can’t go wrong at the price point you are looking at (as long as it’s mechanically sound).

Great price I think. I bought on in as-new condition, but no box etc. about 10 years ago. I think I paid $400 and sold it a couple of years ago for $650. They are awfully heavy for CC, but very comfortable to shoot.

Drm50

Cant go wrong at that price, even if a professional reblue. Sell the box since it’s not the original. He who hesitates is lost.

FunGramps

Mine looks just like your snubby, except for the wood grips. I did buy the gun! Had it looked at by a gun guru, he said it's original and one of the cleanest he's seen for the date. Very mild score on the cylinder...absolutely no blue fade at the muzzle. Also found out that the young guy that looked at the box was wrong, that the box does in fact match the box. I'll get the gun as soon as WA state clears me for it. Pics to follow when I fetch it!

Last edited:

Drm50

I never pay attention to online gun sales. It is true that you can get an idea what a particular model price is trending. What most people don’t realize, it’s the online market price. The percentage of revolvers in excellent condition is high. Most are not carried and shot very little. I have a collection of S&W revolvers and only interested in models that have sporting applications. I never hesitate to buy a S&W service type revolver in high condition. I can always use them to trade into something in my line. There is no older model S&W revolver that is not worth $500 in high condition, same gun is $750 on line.