I'm envisioning/dreamin up a Rem R-15 SPR/DMR

tAKticool

Hi all,

I have a Bushmaster AR (That I'm very happy with) that I've turned into quite the CQB rifle. With a furnishing of Magpul accessories and furniture it looks awesome and functions great.. Just what I want and need as a personal carbine. Now I've set my sights on a SPR type AR as a DMR-functioning rifle. Basically an AR that will compliment my other, and have a little synergistic role. Both will shoot 5.56 (granted if I was taking for making real *real* precision shots of course I would want better ammo in the SPR) but anyway, both use the same ammo, mags, and function about the same . I would also be configuring the R-15 to function as a SPR/DMR but also be 'able' to fight with it if necessary... i.e. I liked the SIG DMR when I first 'met' it but I strongly doubt you could fight a battle with it, it's too heavy/unwieldly to fight with, it's too much of a 'sniper rifle' which is not really what I'm looking for.

http://remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-r-15/model-r-15-vtr-predator-carbine.aspx

SO that's the link to what I'm thinking of , the R-15 'Predator Carbine' which features an 18" barrel and also a Free Float tube. Now the tube is what i'm wondering about. Does it have/allow for a bottom of the tube rail? Bec. I could deal with those "slots" around the tube if/when I needed to mount accessories by mounting those little screw-in mini-rails that you also use on the Magpul MOE handguard.

But on the bottom, I want to do some stuff. As an SPR I want it to have some fighting capabilities. I would mount a Magpul AFG on the bottom rear for gripping of course but also for holding if I needed to use it like that... and then a Bipod up front. so is there a way to put a rail on the bottom?

Also I'd want to make the rear A2 stock into a Magpul PRS, just seems so much better. And it looks like it takes BUIS pretty easy with a gas block mount, and then it would just need a nice great scope.

Waht do you think? eems like a real reasonable solution to a SPR/DMR instead of like $3000 for a Noveske ( no doubt better but so expensive)

Last edited:

chadstrickland

I have always been under the impression the spr ( special purpose rifle ) was ment for medium to maybe barely long range shooting. If that is what you are looking for then I hate to inform you but it takes true skill and lots of range time to shoot 800 meters to 1000 meters with a 5.56 rifle (accurately ). I have did it on several occasions and one small "gust" of wind that wasn't calculated for and your little 62 grain bullet is now 30 or more feet off target.

Somthing you may want to look into (even though it is a different caliber ) is a 6.5 grendal or something similar.

If you are dead set on a 5.56 caliber then you need to understand the limitations of that round. I am a firm believer of it myself but I know what I can and cannot do with it.

I got a good stag carbine that I have invested a decent amount of cash in it. I have larue quad rails, oversized grips, after marget flash hider, yankee hill back up sights with trijicon tritum inserts and aimpoint comp 3 with larue quick release mounts.

That is a close to medium range carbine, when I finally get me a acog the ampoint comes off and now I have a medium to " maybe barely long range rifle" and even then, it is by no means a sniper rifle. I simply have a higher hit percentage than I would have with my low skill level and the aimpoint.

Oh and there is a big big difference in the farthest you have shot and the farthest you have shot with a 5.56

I could do things with a 308 I wouldn't chance in hell of doing with a 5.56 :)

highvel

As far as the Remmy goes, I have a VR-15 .204 and love it!
I've gotten her realy close to being my shoot the Chigger of the Tick rifle.:p