Illinois Suburb Sterilizes Deer (Your Tax Dollars at Work)

Contender

Suburb sterilizes deer instead of killing them
Chicago Tribune | 3/26/02 | Amanda Vogt

Posted on 3/26/02 6:08 AM Pacific by Tumbleweed_Connection

Shooting deer with contraceptive darts hasn't culled the burgeoning herds. Neither have birth control pills. And now--in a radically different tactic--Highland Park is using a mobile operating room in the first experiment of its kind to sterilize animals that regard suburban landscaping as just so much salad.

The Lake County community has joined forces with the University of Wisconsin at Madison and the Milwaukee County Zoo, hoping to sterilize surgically 20 white-tail does in a project other deer-plagued cities are watching closely.

With U.S. herds at their highest level in two centuries, officials unwilling to be tarred as "Bambi killers" are struggling to devise non-lethal strategies to curb a population explosion that has turned the nation's suburbs into bedroom communities for hungry deer.

Rolling out the sterilization wagon could be the answer, said Dr. Bob MacLean, a veterinarian hired by Highland Park to take the battle to the enemy without shooting them. Last year's decision to have sharpshooters pick off eight of the animals triggered a firestorm of protest.

"Based on what we know [about deer behavior], our hunch is that permanently sterilizing does can effectively reduce deer populations long-term," MacLean said, shortly after completing a tubal ligation on an anesthetized 130-pound doe.

MacLean, who is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin, performed the 50-minute procedure in a cramped ambulance-turned-operating room parked in a residential driveway.

As the doe--now bearing a yellow ear tag with the number 121--gingerly struggled to her feet, MacLean said: "When she gets to where she can safely take a nap, she'll sleep it off."

So far, 14 does have been sterilized in the project, which started in late January and is scheduled to wind down this month because many animals are already too pregnant to be operated on safely.

The goal of the Highland Park experiment, MacLean said, is to prove that sterilization works. If it succeeds, he predicted that state and federal officials will accept the procedure as a management tool to control deer herds.

The story is much the same elsewhere in the country as officials and homeowners increasingly are forced to cope with white-tail deer that have moved from the forests to back yards, public parks, even city streets. Chronic browsers, they especially enjoy dining on lawns, shrubs and flower beds.

Wildlife experts estimate 750,000 deer live in Illinois. Although the overall herd hasn't dramatically increased in the last decade as it has in other states, the suburban deer population has soared, experts say.

A warmer reception

The often-emotional issue has pitted residents who don't want the animals shot against neighbors whose gardens and pricey landscaping have been eaten. Community officials are caught between the two camps.

Nearly 400 people joined a lawsuit last year against Highland Park after the city announced plans to kill 20 deer. The experiment in sterilization is getting a far warmer reception.

"The killing of deer [last year] tore apart the city, and it proved not to be effective," said Hillary Ross, who initiated the lawsuit. "This is a very progressive program that could become a model for other cities."

Last summer, Highland Park officials sought deer-culling proposals that wouldn't involve shooting any of the 90-plus animals that thrive in the community's wooded ravines.

The sterilization experiment proposed by Elizabeth "Bess" Franks, curator of large mammals at the Milwaukee County Zoo, although expensive, seemed like the best option, Councilman Pete Koukos said.

The cost of the program is $156,000 and could be $360,000 if it's extended to four years as expected, Koukos said.

Franks used surgical sterilization from 1990 to 1995 to manage a small herd of deer that had invaded the zoo.

Social groups

The key, she said, is to take advantage of the deer's biology. Females tend to stay in the same area and stick together, which makes them easier to target than bucks, which roam freely, Franks said.

"Female deer live in social groups and are all related, so hopefully if we sterilize the females and their daughters, the population will not grow," she said.

Highland Park is the only community in the state to receive a research permit to conduct a sterilization program, said Marty Jones, urban deer project manager for the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.

Highland Park hopes to catch about 60 deer, officials said. One group of 20 does will be sterilized; another 20 will be tagged and fitted with radio collars so they can be tracked, officials said. Twenty males will be tagged but not collared because the buck's neck swells during mating season.

The animals' movements will be monitored so officials can learn more about their population, social behavior and mortality rate, MacLean said.

Since late January, 49 animals have been tagged or collared and released, said Patrick Brennan, assistant to the city manager.

The deer are caught in nets baited with apples and raisins. A female targeted for sterilization is anesthetized, put on a stretcher and carried to the ambulance. After the operation, the doe is given a painkiller and an antibiotic to reduce the risk of infection.

Other methods of deer population control have been attempted in Illinois with mixed results, said the DNR's Jones. For example, a hormone derived from a pig ovary has been used to sterilize one deer at a time.

"The difficulty is that each doe needs two doses in the first month and then a yearly booster, so this becomes very labor-intensive," he said.

Oral contraceptives hidden in fruit or clover also have been tried, without much success.

Capturing deer and relocating them is not allowed in Illinois and most other states because the mortality rate is too high, officials said.

In the DuPage County Forest Preserve District, where the deer population is estimated to be in the thousands, birth control isn't a workable option, said John Oldenburg, manager of grounds and natural resources.

Over the last decade the county has used sharpshooters--Oldenburg calls them a "necessary evil"--to eliminate 3,500 animals at a cost of about $650,000. Last year the cost per deer peaked at $500, he said.

The sheer numbers can be daunting, officials say. The U.S. deer population, found primarily east of the Mississippi River, is the highest in two centuries, according to Ron Labisky, professor of wildlife ecology and conservation at the University of Florida.

35 million again

During the early 1800s, roughly 35 million deer roamed North America, Labisky estimated. By the end of the century, the population had dwindled to 350,000.

"In 1901 there were zero deer sightings reported in Illinois," Labisky said, adding that they didn't reappear until 1951.

Thanks to its adaptability and the disappearance of natural predators--especially the wolf and the cougar--deer have made an amazing recovery, with the population again hovering around 35 million, Labisky said.

Although official statistics aren't kept, a recent study estimated 1.5 million accidents each year involve collisions between motor vehicles and deer, said Mike Conover, a wildlife biologist at Utah State University.

Labisky said the problem isn't going to go away.

"In the end there is no one generic policy that works," he said. "Every community habitat is different; every community's tolerance for the [deer] population is different."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

El Rojo

It just boggles my mind. Why would any governing body want to spend money to reduce deer numbers? Why not make money by selling some deer tags? A junior hunt? It amazes me that they are so caught up in not hurting the animals that they screw up the entire natural way of life and sterilize an animal in an effort to seem "civilized". What they don't understand is nature is not "civilized" and that it is a cold harsh world. What fools.

treeprof

We have a guy here at UGA who has worked on the deer implants w/some success. But because the birth-control route is expensive and often only mildly successful in practice, he was part of a team that developed a controlled harvest (i.e. shooting them) plan for a well-known South Carolina golf-tennis island community. He and the rest of the game biologists and academics were then promptly sued by animal welfare groups and like-minded island residents. It cost the university, the state of South Carolina and the local gov't tens of thousands of dollars and hundres of hours of his and the other folks time gathering papers, making copies, doing depositions, writing affidavits, testifying, etc. That kind of crap really takes away from their regular jobs, and so rather than doing things the most efficient, cost effective and rational way, they try these other measures to keep themselves out of court. Try and implement a plan that involves killing and a lawsuit is a sure thing.

ragingbull454

This is in my neck of the woods, and it really irritates me to see them spending tax dollars like this. But the people here and the local govt. have made guns and hunting sound like we're criminals. I've learned that you just can't have hunting in a populated area. I wish people would take their heads out of their asses and realize that it would be so much cheaper to sell deer tags; the state would make money, and the deer taken can be used to feed their families. But, most people in Chicago are ignorant. There are only a few of us that actually know better, but what can you do? We're just outnumbered by anti-gun, anti-hunting...

Welcome to Chicago.

Betty

I'm not quite sure, but I think a sterile deer can jump on front of a car just as easily as a non-sterile one. ;)

I read a very interesting opinion article in Audubon magazine (Wanted: More Hunters, March 2002) that advocated hunting deer as the best solution to curing the overpopulation. The article showed the devastation of the forests and how food sources and ground cover for other species was being eliminated by grazing deer. It showed how the exploding deer population brought about an increase of Lyme disease (Crane Estate, Boston) that infected the people living in the area.

The local government did all the feel-good approaches until they finally hired Dr. Anthony DeNicola (White Buffalo, Inc., a non-profit wildlife management and research org.), who prescribed "supressed .223 rifles". "He and his crew shot deer in the head, killing them instantly. The venison is donated to the needy." Afterwards, the land turned lush and green again, the other species re-populated back to normal, and Lyme disease cases dropped drastically.

The article also states that "While it's possible to sterilize lots of deer, it's not possible to sterilize enough to control even a small, isolated population." Also, "After studying nonlethal control of deer for 10 years, Larry Katz, head of the Dept. of Animal Science at Rutgers University's Cook College, called immunocontraception "impractical, counterproductive, and absolutely unworkable."

ragingbull454

Hey runt of the litter:

You posed several good points. You are exactly right. Maybe after they try this, they will go back to sharpshooters, or maybe even open a hunting season. Less deer=less competition for food=less deer/vehicle accidents.

I am from the Chicago area, but go to school in central illinois, which is very rural. We have a long deer season here, and as a result, I believe, there are very few deer/vehicle accidents. But, they continue to want to have a "feel good" approach to it. Maybe when they realize that car/deer accidents aren't declining because of this, then maybe they will consider opening a hunting season. Its Chicago, and most people there are anti-everything. Next to California, we have some of the most senseless restrictive laws anywhere.

Erick

Dave R

Lessee, a little economics here...these numbers are guesses to illustrate potential only...

Current cost of sterilization program:

"The cost of the program is $156,000 and could be $360,000 if it's extended to four years as expected, Koukos said. "

Revenue potential for selling additional hunting/harvesting licenses:

150 licenses at $50 ea.=$7,500

Additional area revenues from hunters spending $100 ea in meals, travel, gear=$15,000

Sales tax on the above revenue @7%=$1,050

So, the financial impact of additional hunting vs. sterilization:

-Local gov't SAVES $156,000 expenses
-Local Gov't generates $8,550 in Government revenue.

-Total swing of $164,550

-Plus $15,000 is generated for local merchants.

-Plus savings of any accidents avoided at $5k to $20k per incident.
-Plus savings on crop damage/foliage damage.

All told, maybe $200k in benefit for hunting vs. sterilizing.

Betty

Some other interesting parts in the article:

(Wanted: More Hunters, Audubon magazine, March 2002, by Ted Williams)

“By the early 20th century the feds were leading the charge against predators, and they weren’t content with just the control - they wanted extinction.

Whipping the public to a froth of anti-wolf, anti-cougar fervor was a young forest service bureaucrat who, in 1919, praised New Mexico for ‘leading the West in the campaign for eradication of predatory animals’ and who urged states to ‘finish the eradication work.’

But later, when the bureaucrat, Aldo Leupold, extended his reading to what deer were writing on the land, he filed this report: ‘I have watched the face of many a newly wolfless mountain, and seen the south-facing slopes wrinkle with a maze of new deer trails.

I have seen every edible bush and seedling browsed, first to anemic desuetude, and then to death. I have seen every edible tree defoliated to the height of a saddlehorn.

Such a mountain looks as if someone had given God a new pruning shears, and forbidden Him all other excise. In the end the starved bones of the hoped for deer herd, dead of its own too-much, bleach with the bones of the dead sage, or molder under the high-lined junipers.’”

“In September 1984, after Boston magazine had asked me to write about the Crane controversy, I queried Friends of Animals about the humaneness of starvation as a management strategy.

I was told that it’s painless because Mahatma Gandhi, while fasting, claimed to have been comfortable enough. With that, Friends presented me with a pamphlet entitled “10 Easy Steps to Ban All Hunting!” in which I was instructed to, for example, deploy cow dung as a weapon against hunters.

People who anoint themselves with skunk musk to hide their scent, then pull steaming entrails out of deer were supposed to flee from meadow muffins.”

“Before White Buffalo (Inc.) began culling deer in Princeton, New Jersey, in February 2001, the town’s deer-automobile collisions were up 337 a year, the highest DeNicola has seen in any municipality. Deer were crashing through picture windows and landing in laps, thrashing and gushing blood.

Game wardens were patrolling by helicopter to keep people from feeding deer. Animal-rights advocates delayed the cull with lawsuits. They demanded immunocontraception and trap-and-transfer.

They drew deer away from DeNicola’s bait sites by putting out corn (when he found the illegal bait pile, he set up there, killing 12 more animals). They offered each of 24 landowners $2,000 to kick DeNicola off their property (none accepted).

They punctured his truck tires. They paraded with placards. They held candlelight vigils for the departed ungulates. DeNicola, who views such antics as normal working conditions, rates the Princeton project ‘highly successful.’”

astound

"Last year's decision to have sharpshooters pick off eight of the animals triggered a firestorm of protest. "

A firestorm of protest ?

:barf:

"Thanks to its adaptability and the disappearance of natural predators--especially the wolf and the cougar--deer have made an amazing recovery, with the population again hovering around 35 million, Labisky said."

35 million deer. Save money. Don't go to burger king this deer season.

35 million deer = MMM..... MMM..... Good!

Kaylee

maybe it's just me, but it leads me to think that maybe.. just maybe, they're deploying sharpshooters against the wrong overpopulated herds of grazers.

-K

oh yeah.... :p
one Final Solution and forced sterilzation drive is enough for one century, I think... tempting as the prospect sometimes is.

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
Idiots.

On the topic of cow dung, we used to step in it on purpose on the way through a cow pasture before beginning the walk back to the stands. Cheaper than buying skunk and it actually doesn't smell bad once it dries a bit.

mmm...mmm...good!

I'm thinking of jerky and I'll do it for free.

These heartless bliss ninnys would rather let their fellow humans starve than kill a few deers. I'll cull the heard to help the homeless (and maybe join in preparing and serving the food so I get my share).

madmike

Four years and $360,000...

Give me $360,000, I'll solve the problem next week.

Gases car, loads ten 30 round magazines, attaches scope to HB AR-15...

BTW: suppressors are illegal in Illinois...or are they admitting that they just MIGHT serve a valid purpose?

Azrael256

Y'know, I don't see the problem with the deer. I mean, really, they're nice looking, and except for that whole "jumping in front of cars" thing, they're harmless animals. I, for one, would be rather amused to see the neighbors trying to chase away a deer that has lost it's fear of humans. And what about those truly hillarious videos of deer beating up people? We could have dozens of hillarious incidents a day. Y'know, "so, a deer walks into a bar... no, really, it happened". I think we need to learn to coexist with our deer friends. :D

madmike

"Yup...the anesthetic will have her sleeping the sleep of the dead....are there no predators in Illinois?"

I assume you mean besides Dick Daley?