Illegal weapons in California

Mike40-11

Busted for owning banned assault rifles, even though they had been purchased before the law was passed.

Sooooo, apparently if you already owned a weapon that is now banned there ain't no grandfatherin' in California.

Not sure 185 cans of powder in your house is a great idea though.....

The prosecutor said the reduced charges are appropriate given the circumstances of the case.

"He isn't a bad guy," said Mayman. "This guy has no criminal history, and nobody was hurt."

But we're still gonna nail him with a felony and take all his guns away by God!! That'll learn these ignorant gun nuts!!

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_H_ammo29.412e38c.html

Rangefinder

"This isn't so much a firearms case as it was an illegal storage case."

Gimme a break! It's a witch hunt, pure and simple.

His illegal assault rifles were bought before they were outlawed in 2000, indicating that McKiernan was at least trying to be a law-abiding collector, Mayman said.

Oh he was TRYING, but he had guns--so that sums up the effort... I would like to see a list of these illegal assult rifles.

after it was over, authorities found the arsenal and a 30-foot long tunnel beneath the house.

Someone want to fill me in on what this has to do with anything... Other than the media's attempt to paint this guy as "evil, paranoid, and secretive"? So what! I have a crawlspace the whole width of my house off the basement left over from the addition--makes for good storage space. Who cares?

So check me if I'm wrong here... House burns, but his wife might be allowed to sell his collection to help ofset the costs of the house (uninsured). Sounds like the guns were stored pretty well if they're in resale condition. Bullets exploding? Somehow I'm having difficulty with this one. the weapons are secured, but ammo isn't? 185 pounds of gunpowder--in a house fire--and only one container ignited? Seems to say the rest was pretty well secured too. Sounds like the guy's reloading bench burned and everything else was secured away the way it ought to be--as in one powder out at a time, and that's the one that ignited. As for the quantity itself---buying bulk is always cheaper... I kind of have the feeling there was about a dozen or more different KINDS of powder in that inventory, any reloader would know that, and it's easily justifiable along those lines if he's half the collector and reloader as quite a few others I know. But leave it to the media to paint their own picture... I'd say we're missing a LOT of vital details here.

Well that was enough to get the feathers ruffled tonight... :mad:

rem33

I bought a now outlawed gun in Calif. about 1980. I have since moved but my understanding of the present law is, you were to register these guns. Only had so long to do that or they are illegal. Now I have no stats to back this up but have read that about 90% were not registered. That is going to create a mess one of these days I betcha.
Somehow it doesn't seem right to not have been grandfathered but apparently not, and a lot of otherwise honest and good citizens can now become a felon?

Condition Plaid

Assault weapons legally owned before a certain date had to be registered by a certain date to be legally possessed. This was also the case later with 50 BMG rifles. I have the paperwork ready for my slingshot.