I'll Say It...

Achilles11B

...I am not the best shot with a pistol.

I'm kicking around picking up a pistol in .22LR in an attempt to focus on my mechanics and get to where I need to be. 9mm isn't the most expensive ammo in the world, but there's nothing cheaper than .22LR. I've been down a similar route with rifles and it was quite effective.

Any recommendations on a good 'training' pistol (so to speak)? I had my eye on a Colt 1911 in .22LR that I strained against buying today, just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Nanuk

Any trigger time is better than none. Any quality 22 will help. I have never shot one but the little walther 22's look nice. I have a Ruger MarkII myself. A Browning Buck Mark is a good one also. The 1911 22's are nifty but twice the price of a decent Ruger 22 that will last for generations.

irish52084

If you can, get something similar to what you shoot in 9mm. If you already have a 1911 in 9mm, then it makes sense to get a 1911 style .22.

At least, that way the feel and size are relatively close. Better yet if you can get a 22 conversion for what you already have in 9mm. I have a CZ in 9mm and have had a Kadet kit on order for months, that way I just swap slides and mags to go from 9mm to 22 in the same frame and trigger group.

Creeper

Better yet if you can get a 22 conversion for what you already have in 9mm

I totally agree with Irish. I have a Tactical Solutions .22 conversion that I pop onto what ever 1911 I feel like shooting. Very accurate and well worth the price of admission.
I've also shot a CZ 85 with the mentioned Kadet kit installed... also very nice and accurate.

Oops... almost forgot, Tactical Solutions makes .22 kits for Glocks as well.

Cheers,
C

Last edited:

huntinaz

My experiences with Ruger semi-autos have been very good. I don't much care for their looks but they are inexpensive, reliable, accurate and all around good shooters.

JWT

You can get the Sig branded 1911-22 for around $400. Nice looking, good shooting gun. I've found the trigger to be quite nice and it shoots accurately. If that's the one you're looking at you shouldn't be disappointed.

Creeper

JWT, I handled one of those a few weeks ago... very nice. I think the only thing I didn't like about it was the weight... a bit too light for what I call "equivalent training". Still a very well made and fairly priced gun... and I suppose weight could be added if one were so inclined.

Cheers,
C

dbluefish

S & W MP22

Feels like a larger calibre pistol, smooth action, 22LR with a 12rd clip(except in CA)and priced $340 - $399. I have fired about 100 rds through it and I can hit the target somewhere since i am still working on my abilities. And even better, is you can get decent ammo for cheap. I like the way it feels!

paul

Obviously the bottom one, lol.

AK47wMP1.jpg

BoogieMan

Just my $0.02 but I was in a similar situation a couple months ago. I shoot a 1911 and wanted something similar in feel that would be a accurate reliable shooter. I ended up buying the Ruger 22/45. Its inexpensive at around $350 for the target model, shoots everything I have put in it and has been 100% reliable with around 1000 rds through it so far. I got a Ultimate clip loader to go with it, makes loading mags a snap and I would highly recommend getting something that you can use the mag loader with such as a Buckmark, Mark III or 22/45. If nothing else its worth checking out.

jason_iowa

1st no one is particularly effective with a pistol. Pistols are crappy weapons that we carry because they are easy to conceal and convenient.

2ed don't under estimate the power of dry firing. A good exercise I see some people doing is attaching a laser and dry fire so they can really see the movement while they practice.

I would not keep a laser on my carry or home defense guns. People tend to associate them with snipers and assassins and all the bs you see in movies. The same people who think like that could end up on your jury criminal or civil. If you ever have to use your firearm their will almost certainly be some kind of jury deciding your fate. Just my opinion... Good training tool though.

I have 2 brownings I use for training. One has a bull barrel and the other a standard barrel. The grips are in my opinion pretty much the same as a 1911. they are a hoot to shoot, good training weapons and great way to get the kids shooting also. 22 s are cheap so you can shoot all day on the cheap.

aarondhgraham

Hello Achilles11B,,,

What is your 9mm pistol,,,
Nowadays you might be able o find a very close pistol in .22 LR.

For Example there are a few 1911 look-alikes in .22,,,
Chia Pet,,, eerrr,,, Chiappa makes a Beretta 92F Look-alike,,,
Smith & Wesson (Umarex) makes a .22 version of their M&P Pistol.

CZ Makes either the Kadet conversion kit for their 75B/85 series,,,
Or you can buy the complete CZ-75B Kadet pistol.

There may be very close options for you to choose from.

Aarond

PT-92

I would say a GSG/SIG 1911 .22lr would be just the ticket (works fine for me for your intended purpose). By the way, same gun (seriously) just quite a bit cheaper absent the SIG name.

Sheriff Gotcha

I am in the same situation right now. I've pretty much decided to get a CZ Kadet pistol which runs at about $450-500 and ive heard nothing but good things about it. If by chance the 9mm that you have is a CZ 75 or 85 they sell the Kadet .22 conversion kits for around $360.

aarondhgraham

I've pretty much decided to get a CZ Kadet pistol which runs at about $450-500 and ive heard nothing but good things about it.

You are making a wise choice (IMHO),,,
I can't imagine anyone not liking this gun,,,
Each and every person who has shot mine loves it.

One person regained his sanity :rolleyes: and sold his Glock,,,
He used the money to partially finance a 9mm and a Kadet.

But please tell me,,,
Where are you finding a Kadet pistol for $450-$500,,,
I have a few friends who would purchase one if they were found at that price.

About 18 months ago I bought one and paid $599.95 plus sales tax,,,
I've never seen them since where they were less than $600.00.

Aarond

Achilles11B

I shoot a Springfield XD in 9mm right now. I have looked but was unable to find a .22 equivalent. The GSG might be the best bet, I've heard of guys putting 10,000+ rounds through them with minimal effort on the maintenance side.

Coach Z

I think many of us here (if we are honest with ourselves) could use more trigger time whether it is with some that is a near duplicate of what our "goal" gun/caliber is. I've found that my new ruger sr22 pistol has been incredibly reliable and really quite accurate. So much so in fact that I sold both my beretta neos as well as my walther p22 and just focus on that gun now.

my .02

PT-92

Flip a Coin as 'They' Say...

I went with the GSG simply because it's a absolute clone of my 1911 in .45acp (one reason I didn't go with something like the Browning offering--I wanted a scale 1911 model). Yet if that's not a key factor for someone, any of the suggestions in this thread would do a fine job (In a perfect world I would have them all ;)). I do have a decent .22lr pistol collection (relatively speaking) but much of them are mouse-guns.

*edited to add that you options significantly decrease if you demand a steel slide.

-Cheers

Last edited: