ignition with pryodex ffg and #11 caps?

trigger45

yesterday sevral misfires with this combo. no problem in my knight wolverine. should i go to the fffg equivlant? oh the other rifle was a t/c new englander .50 cal. bullets where t/c maxi-balls. like this bullet in this rifle. just want better ignition so the accuracy will show.

was using 90 grains in the new englander. was using t7 but went to pryodex because of the crud ring. the t7 was fffg. and when i cleaned between shots no problems came up. this time i also cleaned between fireings. is pryodex harder to ignite? should i get musket caps and nipples?

Pahoo

Lots of questions here but by my measure, you should not have had any problems with your current shot string. I don't feel your Misfires were with the ignition of the Pyrodex. You stated "Misfires" and I usually do not run into them untill well after getting Hang-Fires.

I know lots of folks that swear by FFFG up to and and including .50 Cal. In fact, in some publications, it even states such.

#11 Primers/Caps are at the minimum of ignition potential. This is one good reason that it is not recommended for Replacement Propellants. Those of us who can use them with 777 should consider ourselves fortunate.

In my In-Line Hunters, I have converted to a Musket primers and have worked up some good Shot Strings for them. The 209 certainly is the other end of the spectrum on ignition but personally have not had a desire to go thar.

Be Safe !!!!

Hawg

I have no problems with Pyrodex RS and #11 standard caps in rifles or revolvers either one.

Mark whiz

I've never had a problem with any powder and #11 caps in my old knight USAK or Rem1858 revolver. However, I DO use the CCI #11 Mag caps whenever possible - the Mags have a good bit more compound in them than the standard CCIs...........always seemed like good insurance to me, and it's never failed me yet.

arcticap

is pryodex harder to ignite? should i get musket caps and nipples?

Switching to musket caps is usually a last resort.
Pyrodex P can ignite a little better than the RS, especially if the flash channel is blocked in any way or not thoroughly clean.
A upgraded replacement nipple can also help.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

The more powder that's loaded, the more powder residue that will be left behind. Sometimes a breechplug scraper will help clean up the powder chamber located at the very bottom of the barrel. I don't know what the diameter of the TC powder chamber is, .25 - .30 caliber maybe?
It may need to be more throughly cleaned out.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1000748a25%25.JPG
    P1000748a25%25.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 299

trigger45

thanks for that last reply. didnt even think about the chamber area. when i got home i wrapped a spit patch around my bore brush and pulled out so much black stuff you were right. thanks.

Smokin_Gun

Get yourself and Uncle Mike's, Spitfire, or Hotshot nipple that may solve your problem, or try gettin' some real Black Powder.
Good Luck...

rocklock

If you aren't doing this,try it. A breech scraper will still leave the channel between the breech and the nipple fouled when used just by itself.
When you clean, remove the barrel from the stock, put the nipple end into a pan of warm soapy water. Put a tight fitting wet cleaning patch on your cleaning jag and pump it up an down the bore. It will pull water in and out, flushing out the breech. Take the nipple off and flush some more, and then dry thoroughly. Some folks use straight alcohol for this as a final rinse since it flashes off quicker than water. I had a hunting buddy that was always having hangfires or misfires even right after he thought he had cleaned his gun completely. After he started flushing the barrel and breech out, he had no more problems. A regular #11 cap should work reliably then. Magnum #11 primers are good if you want more fire to make certain, but it is easier for me to handle the larger musket caps with my big fingers - I like the extra insurance of a hot cap when hunting in bad weather. I know some people think it affects accuracy to much, which is somewhat right for target shooting, but it still leaves plenty enough good accuracy for hunting. I used Pyrodex for years, but switched to the holy black for everything 5 years ago when I built a flintlock.