If you're ever feeling suicidal....

zippy13

This topic came up a couple of times in the last few years. I mentioned previously: I saw a cut, or circumcised, shell instant-slugs demonstrated, with astonishing results, buy a Thai exchange student some years ago. A standard 12-ga target load vaporized a fist-sized cobble with no trouble. He cautioned that it works well only with new shells. I few days later, I recall him spending the afternoon trying to clear the mess from an instant-slug made from a reload. The crimp had opened just before the choke and the partial hull and wad were stuck in the barrel.

If I understood him correctly, the "slugs" were commonly used in Thailand because standard slugs were prohibited. The government would allow civilians ammo only for target work, birds and small game. If you wanted to go after pigs, you had few options other than the circumcision specials.

hogcowboy

Paper or plastic cut shell?

I'm trying figure out just how old that clip is. Could any of you tell if that is a plastic or paper shell? Not something I want to try, just wondering.

Ever try dropping a shell down the muzzle? It doesn't work because the shell is much wider than the barrel, this is why we have chambers. That was very very dangerous, i could see an overpressure just waiting.

highvel

Firearm Abuse!
I would like to know for curiosity's sake how high the chamber pressure is compared to a normal shell.

seeker_two

larry5081 said:
Could any of you tell if that is a plastic or paper shell?

Looked like a new plastic shell to me....I also wonder how it would work with a paper shell....

Rugerismisticness said:
i could see an overpressure just waiting.

That's what I'm thinking....which is why I ain't doing it....

ACP230

I tried this once years ago in a 16 gauge pump with plastic shells.
It didn't damage me or the gun but I wasn't that impressed by the exercise anyhow.

kozak6

I would think the choke would be troublesome too. I would imagine that with steel shot or buckshot, things could get very scary very quickly.

It doesn't seem to be worth the risk. What's cheaper? A case of slugs or a new shotgun?

johnbt

"I also wonder how it would work with a paper shell"

It was already an old technique back when I was a kid before the invention of plastic shells.

markj

Old timers and I do mean old timers used to do this, instant deer slug that carries 100 yards or so and is sorta accurate. I once shot a whole box out of a single shot at a metal target 120 yards out, hit the metal sign every time to show a bunch of young know it alls. I used a model 1200 winchester 30 in barrel full choke.

In 1963 i saw a guy cut a shell and shoot up to geese flying over, he hit one and I watched it slowly circle down, dinner was here :)

Wasnt all these new shells, new slugs etc, folks had to make do.

cornbush

markj-- no offense, but we don't have to do that anymore, looks like a giant can of worms waiting to get poured out.

markj

markj-- no offense, but we don't have to do that anymore

Thank winchester and all the gun gods for that. I prefer my slugs. But I wont knock what a poor man has to use cause I know nothing about it.