if your life depended on it...

meat

I am looking for a 2"-3" (3" preferred) well made and reliable revolver that would serve as a primary home defense gun. .357 mag or .38 special is preferred. Price is not a concern, but something that will always go bang reliably is! This gun will be used by both myself and my significant other (and she has small hands).

James K

Member In Memoriam
Best bets in that area are from S&W. At the moment, it is possible to buy some very good S&W revolvers that are police department turn-ins. These usually show only minor outside wear and are like new inside, and the price is very good. Further, they include just about what you are looking for. I suggest getting hold of a recent copy of Shotgun News and/or attending a local gun show. Gun shows usually have a larger selection than most gun dealers.

I know you will hear from auto pistol advocates, but for an inexperienced person, a revolver is always my recommendation as being simple, accurate, and safe. If there are children in the house or visiting, though, a trigger lock or secure case is a must when it is possible for little hands to be exploring.

Jim

CZ_

Ruger SP 101 3". Best damn snubby I've ever shot. I own the 2.25" model, and its a tackdriver and totally reliable.

Last edited:

maxwayne

As you have heard the S&W revolvers are very good and the Ruger Security and Service Sixes are also out there.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
If you can track down a good ol' fashioned 3" HB RB (Heavy Barrel, Round Butt) Model 13, you will have found a very fine gun indeed.

Don Mallard

Excellent..........

...........advice from all.
You will find any of those suggested guns to be great. Each of them has the most vital of all handgun characteristics and that 'IS' reliability.
I suggest,which ever one(s) you choose, that you equip it with standard wood stocks and Tyler Grip Adapters. I have seen that combination used with efficient results for shooters who have small hands. That combination also aids in 'level' pointing when a unaimed shot cannot be used.
Don Mallard

C.R.Sam

Ditto the above.

Would like to add to the mix of good ones for your task.
2½" round butt Model 19.

Sam

GDB

I have a Ruger SP101 (.357, 3"+ barrel) that I like enough that I will probably get the 2"+ version in few months. It is a very well built, relatively light (about 29 ounces loaded), easy to carry gun that can handle .357 and .38 rounds. The only real problem I have with it is that with the factory grip the trigger guard hits my middle finger on recoil when I fire .357 rounds. After a lot of range practice this causes my hand to hurt. Myself and at least some people on this and the Ruger Forum have dealt with this problem by putting Houge grips on the gun. This grip allows for a little more space between the grip and the guard. Also, if you consider this gun be aware that it, like I gather many Rugers, has a fairly heavy trigger pull. Allmost every thing I have read about this says the pull gets better with use. I purchased my gun used so I can not offer personal experience regarding this. Trigger pull can also be reduced by replacing the mainspring with a lighter spring but be carefull to not put in too light a spring. The Ruger Forum has had a number of threads about this in the last few months. I gather that it is possble to get trigger jobs for this gun but there seem to be fewer smiths that can do so (compared to S&W). All this being said, some people have no problem with either the trigger pull or the recoil/grip issue.

I guess my point ( after this appalinglly long post) is that if you consider this gun, I suggest both you and your significant other handle it and try to get the dealer to allow you to dry fire it (or you find someone who will let you live fire it). Of course this could be said for any firearm purchase.

I hope this helps.

GDB

JohnK

I'll add another vote for a 2 3/4" Ruger Speed Six. Essentially K frame size, strong enough to last nearly forever, reliable, all you can ask of a 357. If you're looking for something new a 3" GP100 would make another excellent choice.

Since the GP100 has a stud instead of a traditional grip frame you can have any size grip made for it that you want if neither the factory or any aftermarket grips work for you.

biere

I have two rugers and both are stainless with 3 inch barrels. They are gp100 and 101, ok the 101 has a 3 1/16 inch barrel I was wrong. They both rock and roll with 357. I did a lot of searching and I play on preperation boards, what others call survivalist boards. Ruger has a reputation for the most solid moron proof design. But a few morons have been produced able to mess up a ruger.

For home use, go with the bigger 100 since you can get six shots from it. The extraweight helps most people gain confidence. I started my 101 on 38 special loads just because it is smaller. Now I run 357 through it whenever I shoot it.

I have pretty small hands. The stock ruger grips work great for me. Some larger grips just do not come close to being what I would call ok. But ruger stock is perfect for me.

I bought both mine used, but they had little use, one was around 350 rounds the other might have never been shot.

I dislike the concept of a key lock on a gun, so I have gotten what I wanted in the old style. I do not know what the new ones have but there is a post above about the *&* with a key lock in it.

I did not grow up with guns, my parents never knew I played paintball. So I have not used many firearms except for what I have bought. This is why I do not worry about the awful ruger trigger. It is fine by me and gets better the more I use it. It does not really lighten up though, and I do not want a light trigger pull. I also use glocks and they have a bad reputation for trigger pull, but that is what I am used to so I do not worry about what others consider bad. Go dryfire some in a store and see what you think.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Excellent advice from all poster's; but if money is no object
there is always the possibility of finding a pre-70's model
2-1/2" barrel Colt Python.:cool: :) :D No real reason to
choose it over the other's; just thought you might desire
something a little different?:eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

7th Fleet

Check out a nice used 686 Smith & Wesson or perhaps a stainless 2 3/4" Ruger Speed Six/Security Six in .357 mag and you will be very well served by either weapon.

7th

Sisco

"Well made and reliable". Sounds like a Ruger to me.
I've got an SP101 3", Hogue grips, trijicon front sight. Shoots good and fits real nice in the nightstand drawer.

Pick from the following:

S&W Model 19 2.5"

S&W Model 13 3"

S&W Model 65 3", stainless version of the Model 13

S&W Model 66 2.5", stainless version of the Model 19

Last edited:

P-35/53

S&W Models 13,65, 19 or 66 would be my first choice, Rugers my second.Lots of practice and familizaration

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Trade-Ins are the way to go, meat - - -

---as mentioned earlier by Jim Keenan.
An amazing number of police and security service personnel care little or nothing about shooting, and fire their issue sidarms only during required qualifications. It is possible to buy a high quality revolver for a very reasonable price. The "condition" determines the price, most of the time. And a certain amount of bluing wear is truly no detriment to good functioning. If there are no deep dings or dents and the cylinder locks up tightly and the action feels pretty crisp, chances are the the used revolver will be a good value. If you are inexperienced with revolvers to the point of wanting advice, you probably know someone who'd be happy to look over an anticipated purchase.

Suggest you don't pay a big premium to get a magnum as opposed to a .38 Spl, given your stated purpose. A great many people prefer to use .38 loads in their mags for home defense, anyhow. Reasons include lessened chance of overpenetration, reduced muzzle blast, flash, and recoil. Training time to proficiency is also reduced, and good factory .38 ammo is somewhat less expensive.

The majority of these used revolvers are four-inch, unless you find some investigations division guns that were traded in. Four-inch is NO handicap, especially if the arm is to be used primarily for home defense. The longer barrel makes for easier pointing in the dark. Some say the longer barrel makes it easier for a goblin to disarm the user, but I think this danger is overstated. Also, if concealed carry is a factor, with a holster, the longer barrel presses against the hip and holds the grip area closer to the body. The two-inch barrel is really only a factor when carrying in a pocket or ankle holster.

Best wishes on your quest.
Johnny

PS to Jim Keenan. Noticed it was your FIVE THOUSANDTH post. I stand in awe.
JPG