If You Haven't Done This Yet, You Should!

Single Six

Take a kid shooting, that is. For years, I've tried to be very careful about forcing my kids to do certain things...I never wanted to force my hobbies on them, you know? But today, I put my foot down and told them "Like it or not, today we're off to the range!" My boys, 13 and 10, have never fired a real gun before today, and I figured that they at least needed to try it. So off we went, my boys, myself, and my Ruger Single Six. Long story short: My oldest gave a good accounting of himself, placing most of his shots a bit high, but still centered. My youngest put his very first shot directly into the center X of the B-27 target, and most of his follow up rounds stayed pretty close to the mark, as well. That was fantastic, but the high point of the day for me was my little boy looking at me with a big grin and saying, "You know, Daddy..this is actually kind of fun!" Bottom line, our kids are the future guardians of our country, and of our firearms freedoms. Let's all do our part to light the fire, shall we?

rburch

Got a date with about a Dozen Boy Scouts and at least 1000 rounds of 12 ga tomorrow at noon.

Should be a good test for my new electric skeet thrower.

rocky.223

Took my "girly girl" daughter to her first range trip last week. after about an hour of slowly working her up to it she was loading the gun, shooting the whole mag and reloading like a pro! Told me "Daddy, I thought you said this was hard!" lol

Edward429451

I love to take the kids shooting and their friends are welcome to go too. I always keep some 22 CBs on hand so any little ones can shoot the Bearcat without a big boom in their face. Little kids have short arms so CBs help out with those short barreled handguns.

Single Six

I should also mention that after I let the boys get comfy with the aforementioned .22 single action revolver [which, by the way, is my first handgun, bought new in '87, quite fitting that it should be their first one to try out], I offered them the chance to try my S&W 645. If my youngest [and still fairly small for his age] child had decided to try it, my intent was to stand behind him and help him with the grip; in other words, four hands would have been holding the big .45 auto. After I "demonstrated" it for them though, he declined. My 13 year old, on the other hand, is HUGE for his age, as in 5'10, 200 pounds, size 15 shoes, and hands akin to those of Bill Jordan! He did try it, and I erred on the side of caution, loading only one round into the gun. He shot it just fine, but still preferred the .22 Ruger. No surprise there, since he is still very much a beginner. However, I'm still VERY happy to report that both of my sons are asking when we can go shooting again. The seed is planted!:D

Maximus856

Agreed 100%. I volunteer at a youth shooting league and though its volunteer work, the pay off is greater than any monetary reward. Most of the kids are there to just shoot a gun, but a few want to really learn the dynamics of it. When they have problems and I instruct them on how this or that may work better and it works, its one of the best feelings when they come up and thank you for it. Kids are very passioniate and sincere when they appreciate something you do for them. Thats something that lacks a lot in todays "grown up world." There are a few that I have more or less taken under my wing and as I see them progress its a very rewarding feeling. I realize shooting guns is not a life altering experiance, but I hope that my teaching and instruction carries on further than just the shooting aspect. As far as I know, it has worked and I hope that influences their possible good doings in the future.

GM2

I started my Son and Daughter shooting at around age 12 Neither took much interest in it.:mad: However, I have two Grandsons and one Granddaughter all three of them has shown a lot of interest and the Granddaughter is the best shot of the three.:)

Last edited:

ltc444

I have enjoyed taking kids shooting. Unfortunately, I recently had a bad experience and am backing off my activity. Now I am going to refrain from teaching until I have determined the Kid is mature/responsible enough to handle the responsibility that goes with the use of a firearm.

A friend of mine's, whom I shoot with regularly, son asked me to teach him to shoot. With his father and mother's permission, I did some basic safety, responsibility and shooting training. Since then I have learned that he has used those skills improperly. Fortunately, he did not hurt anyone and I did not train him to a level were he was effective.

It turned out that the kid has serious mental problems. The parents were in denial and did not inform me about his problems.

buck460XVR

But today, I put my foot down and told them "Like it or not, today we're off to the range!" My boys, 13 and 10, have never fired a real gun before today, and I figured that they at least needed to try it.

You had to put your foot down and FORCE them to go a range and shoot guns? My boys woulda drove me nuts long before that age had I not been takin' them to the range and to the woods regularly. I thought love of guns was something all boys and most girls are born with. Guns are generally the main focal point of the most popular video games of boys that age. What's not to like and why were you so surprised when you sons actually enjoyed it?

Single Six

Buck460XVR: I had to force them because they've always turned me down whenever I asked them if they wanted to go. As stated previously, I was never one to force my interests on my kids. The reason they were never interested in guns before is simply this: Not all kids are the same. For instance, whereas most guys love some kind of sports, I never did, and still don't. I've never cared for, much less watched, any kind of sport. I couldn't possibly be any less interested. My boys just happened to be the same way about guns, video games notwithstanding. As far as my being surprised that they enjoyed it, I never said that. The better term would be "pleasantly surprised". In any event, my main concern now is to take them shooting regularly, since they're now very much into it...and to do my best to make up for lost time.:)

Last edited:

Gbro

And then there are those that are not interested in shooting.
we are half way through the spring firearms safety class and I just met with the father of a student that did not attend class.
he and his Father whom I have worked and hunted with for 30 plus years are just mortified that this youngster isn't interested in taking firearms safety.
I tried my best to assure the dad that it's ok and that without any pressure the boy will become interested and not loose any sleep over this.
Truth is this IS distressing to family's that center there recreation around shooting and hunting.

Shadi Khalil

I took my little brother for his first time when he was 8. It's a memory we both cherish and he's pretty much my shooting buddy 7 years later.

buck460XVR

In any event, my main concern now is to take them shooting regularly, since they're now very much into it...and to do my best to make up for lost time

Good for you. I did not mean to criticize you as I know full well all boys are different and their time nowadays can be spread thin by the options of entertainment available to them. I guess I'm always a tad taken back whenever I hear a dad express surprise/excitement when one of their offspring enjoys the sport of shooting. As I said before, what's not to like. Not only are they makin' noise and makin' holes in things, they are spending quality time with dad. It just don't get no better. I help teach youth hunter safety locally and cannot count the times a 13 year old kid has come to class and has never shot a firearm, even tho there is a father figure in the household and that father figure hunts and/or shoots. Those fathers, just like you, claim their kid never showed any interest in guns until one day they took them shooting. I think there-in lies the clue.

rtpzwms

I started with my kids years ago and now they are taking their kids. When grandma and grandpa visit we all go to the range. It's a blast we all enjoy shooting. Even when grandpa has to go to the rifle range with a PINK 22 rifle to let my girly girl grand daughter shoot her rifle. She doesn't care for pistols much, go figure...

Single Six

Buck460XVR: No worries, all is cool...I didn't take what you said as being critical. You know, the funny thing is, I did try to get them into shooting a few years back, except I was using a Daisy Red Ryder, and that went over like Jesse Helms at an NAACP meeting. Funny how it all changed when I tried it again with an actual firearm!

dopar66

+1

This past weekend my brother took my two nephews to a Boy Scout bb gun shoot for their first shooting experience. Haven't received a range report yet (i before e in received?).
Yesterday after Church my neighbor and I set up a stop and let our boys shoot the pellet guns for 3-1/2 hours. One pellet gun you may be familiar with, by the way. The boys had a great time, but I now have trigger envy on my neighbor's pellet gun.
In retrospect, I can't tell you who had a better time, the boys or the dads...

idnative1948

Just this one.

July4-2011Bourne008.jpg

aarondhgraham

I haven't taken a young child yet,,,

But I do take a lot of young college kids,,,
Many of them have never held a firearm in their life.

Same satisfaction level though,,,
Especially when one goes for more training,,,
And either gets a CWL or simply opts for more target sessions.

So I hear what you are saying about introducing someone to the shooting sports.

It's fun. :D

Aarond