If you have a DA/SA Auto Practice it DA/SA

IanS

I went shooting with a my bro-in-law a couple weeks ago for the first time. He brought along his Beretta 92FS. He's a pretty fair shot, in single action, but he never decocks and practices the DA trigger or DA/SA transition. I told him he should and told him the reasons why. He just kind of nodded but admitted he never does when he goes to the range. He says he owns the gun for protection. I hope he doesn't have to find out the hard way.

And very very rarely do I see people who own SIG Sauers, Berettas, S&W's, CZ75D and other DA/SA guns shoot them at the range as the gun was intended to be carried and used. Pretty much the only time I've seen other people shoot their DA/SA guns DA/SA were in class where the instructor told them to decock and holster.

Drach

I could not possibly agree more - when the time comes to actually use the gun for protection, no one will ever remember to pull back the hammer before firing. And without practice - guarenteed they will pull the first shot, and most likely miss.

I spent one entire range session shooting nothing but DA, and it helped considerably.

rantingredneck

Indeed I agree. I own and carry three ruger P-series guns that are DA/SA. Not only do I practice from DA with every mag change, I do drills where I fire every shot from the mag DA. I decock between shots so I can practice the DA trigger pull even more. Odds are if I ever need to use it the first shot will be DA. Better to be able to make that one count.

Jkwas

I agree. I too have Ruger da/sa (P89), and the SA trigger is sweet, but the DA trigger leaves much to be desired. If this is what you carry, then you should practice both. I now prefer DAO shooting with either a striker fired auto or a revolver. I find the consistency to my liking.

gdog

You brought up a subject that a lot people don't want to talk about.People who carry really need to practice.That first shot may be the one that does the job.When I got my CCW permit that is the first thing I started to practice.Also you need to learn to point shoot,you will be more accurate in rapid fire.If the gun and caliber don't fit,you will find out real quick.A lot of people that carry a revolver are very good.I like to think of it as offensive shooting,not defense.The cocked and lock carry people really need the practice with the extra step and a good grip.I know a lot of ranges will not allow it.Buy a beam hit and practice at home.

Ed

redblair

I'm fairly new at this but I always practice DA/SA. Usually two or three shots then decock and start again. I thought that was how I was supposed to do it.

B

Dec 15, 1791

Ocraknife

I always decock and practice a DA shot before SA shots. Sometimes I'll take several magazines in a row in DA. My accuracy is about the same in DA as SA.

enikkor

Carry and use- that's the word.

I think everybody should practice DA/SA transition. I dryfire DA with my
SIG226. It is just a long hard pull. I'll rather use a revolver that way than
my sig.
I think the reason that we Decock is to CARRY it is the safest way.
But who makes the ultimate rule that we absolutely have to USE or
SHOOT it DA if we don't want to. We can train ourselves to Pull the
Hammer backward when the danger comes, similar to a 1911 owner
flipping the safety, before shooting. (Cock and unlock).

Also, while practicing the not so easy DA pull on the Sig., I know this
should not be standard practice, but you can apply slight pressure when
the danger arises, and pull thru when you want to shoot making the DA
easier. Also in times of extreme danger, when the adrenaline rushes,
the DA pull may be easier than you think.

By the way, we are all assuming that the BG is armed, ready to shoot us
and has better shooting skill than we do. If he is an assassin w/ Jerry
Miculek's talent, were' screwed anyway. Sometimes, just pointing the gun
or even missing the target the first shot, may discourage the BG to come
and run. I've read that some say that the first shot, can be used as a
wasted but effective warning shot, and the succeeding SA shots are
real good and properly aimed!!!! I've got a max of 14 on the Sig.
If the first DA is a warning, I've got 13 good SA coming!!!!!!
But situation differs and if it split seconds you need, just point the gun and shoot DA!

rantingredneck

No warning shots.......

2 reasons:

1) If the situation warrants deadly force it warrants well-aimed deadly force.
2) You own every bullet you fire. Where does that warning shot go if not COM into the badguy?

IanS

Well, you guys are the exception. Unfortunately, most others we see at the range haven't quite thought this through. Or they're just stubborn and simply living in denial.

I understand the temptation is strong. Just insert a full mag, drop the slide to chamber a round, and shoot. If all they're trying to do is shoot groups at a piece of paper then this is all moot. They can use any gun. But if they own the DA/SA gun for self defense they gotta be up to the task. Either that or find something else 'cause there are far better choices. It doesn't matter how cool they think the gun is or if its "Made in Germany". They seriously need to consider dumping it or start using it the way it was designed.

RevolverLover

Well, you guys are the exception. Unfortunately, most others we see at the range haven't quite thought this through.

I believe most gunowners believe just having a firearm is enough when it comes to HD/SD.

IanS

I believe most gunowners believe just having a firearm is enough when it comes to HD/SD.

You hit the nail on the head. Just having one gives many people a sense of empowerment that's all in their heads. They refuse to think in terms of real world situations and their actual ability with one. They fork over the money for their gun and they're "done".

IanS

No warning shots.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 reasons:

1) If the situation warrants deadly force it warrants well-aimed deadly force.
2) You own every bullet you fire. Where does that warning shot go if not COM into the badguy?

+1 If you have that little confidence in your first DA shot either practice more or get something that wont' have you sending a bullet where you don't intend it to go. Not a good mindset to have with your weapon. You think you're gonna miss. You're gonna miss.....and possibly hit something or someone else. I hope you're not a LEO or a CCW holder. Think about it. Seriously.

chris in va

Another thing too. In a defensive situation, say...bump in the night HD...cocking the hammer sets you up very nicely for a ND with the light SA pull if little niece Sally comes jumping out at you from the back bedroom.

The longer/harder DA pull makes things a little more deliberate in your decision.

Feanaro

If you have a DA/SA Auto Practice it DA/SA

I'm with stupid. :D I rarely see people practice DA. Even on revolvers, a lot of people can't resist the urge to thumb back the ol' hammer and make things a little easier on themselves. That kind of lazy training can come back to bite you.

Another thing too. In a defensive situation, say...bump in the night HD...cocking the hammer sets you up very nicely for a ND with the light SA pull if little niece Sally comes jumping out at you from the back bedroom.

I think this falls under "boogersnatch off the boomlever" but for someone who doesn't practice as often, that could be an advantage.

redblair

I see a lot of various people at the range. The vast majority don't seem to be very good. As long as they're safe I don't care. The few that seem to know how to shoot I usually watch for a while to see what they do. Lots of guys with fancy or not so fancy guns just like to play and don't seem to want to learn how do the job properly. Not my style.

I'll stop rambling.

"Let get rambling ramblers."

B

Dec 15, 1791