If you had to use a cast bullet

OK, so the question is, if you had to use a cast bullet in a 3" revolver chambered for .45 Colt would you use a 200gr bullet or the old 255gr bullet?

This would be for personal protection against bad guys.

I'm pretty sure either one would work but maybe the 200gr bullet would be better suited for that application.

Thoughts?

Hammerhead

Non expanding lead? If so then the 200 grainer, preferably a SWC. I think shape is more important than weight. All the penetration of a 255 bullet is wasted on thin humans.

I have a preference for the bigger slugs in a 45 Colt. My favorite shape I cast from a NEI 265K that drops 270 grains out of wheel weight lead. The big flat nose of a Keith bullet really whacks the hell out what it hits. It does not need to expand or go at any great speed to be effective in this caliber.
A 255 semi wad cutter going 700+ fps will put down two legged snakes with authority. You can control recoil by keeping velocity lower and maintain knock down by using heavier bullets.

Sport45

Take advantage of the larger case capacity and don't limit yourself to .45acp bullets. I believe a 250-260gr SWC will punch through a lot more than a 200gr SWC even if the lighter bullet is moving a bit faster.

RIFLEMAN... those cartridges are pretty interesting... I currently use Buffalo Bore Standard pressure Gold Dots in my everyday carry ( a custom Ruger 45 Colt snubbie )

I've always like big meplat bullets, & have heard before of the advantages of wadcutters in terminal performance ( listed in test on the previous link )

so... you do know that you'll get a big difference in point of impact between the 2 bullet weights... & ( I have a large supply of cast 45 acp bullets ) in my expirience, I haven't gotten the kind of groupings I'd like from the lighter bullets

Magnum Wheel Man, you are right on target. I have had poor accuracy out of anything smaller than 230 grains out of a Ruger Bisley and my S&W Model 25 Classic. The rifling's rate of twist is intended for bigger bullets.
The big meplat is king most of the time, and certainly is in this caliber. 250 to 280 grain semi wad cutters going a moderate speed( 650 to 850 fps) is a proven killer.

Hal

Heavier if cast lead....

Lighter if jacketed.
The 200 gr Blazer JHP shoots extremely well out of my Winchester trapper.

255 gr cast lead w/a nice flat meplat aren't any slouches either.
I'd feel confident w/either.

I wouldn't feel all warm and fuzzy though with a 200 or less gr. cast lead.