If you had to chose one or the other?

bspillman

Sd9ve or ruger p95. Hypothetically speaking, if you could only have one of these for your only handgun, which one and why? I’m not interested in hearing about other guns or for a few bucks more you can have this. This is a hypothetical question as to my next purchase. I own plenty of others. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, I don't like either of them. At all.

I'd end up going with the Smith and Wesson.

If you have these two and have to sell one, sell both and get an M&P 2.0.

If you're deciding between these two that are local for sale, skip out and order a Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0. They can be had for about $400.

Ledslnger

IV8888 had some good stuff to say about the P95. I have neither, but respect his opinion. So if I jumped on one it would be the Ruger.

seeker_two

If you like Glocks, the SD9VE will work. If you like traditional DA/SA, then you'll like the P95. I've owned both and liked both. Enjoy your choice.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

scsov509

Both are reliable pistols that aren't going to let you down. If I had to choose one personally though, I'd probably purchase the SD9 and drop a $20 Apex spring kit in it. If Apex didn't make that kit though, I wouldn't even look twice at the SD9 as it's got one of the worst triggers on any modern production pistol.

BBarn

Edit: Ignore my post below. I was thinking P85, not P95.

What seeker_two said. Plus... ergonomics of SD9 are possibly better. P85 was Ruger's first center-fire auto pistol. I'd say the SD9 has somewhat lower perceived recoil.

Last edited:

chaim

Both are reliable. Both are built by American companies that build good pistols and have good customer service if you should need it.

Ruger:
I've had two P-series and a good friend had another. My KP89 was 100% reliable, but no one who shot it could shoot it accurately. I've heard that about a few other P89s as well. Though, I haven't heard that about the P95 ever. At the same time, a friend had a P90 and it was a great gun (accurate and 100% reliable), if he offered it to me when he sold it I would have bought it from him for double what he got for it (he needed to sell it quickly and he just took it to a pawn shop). I also had a KP345 for a short time. Accurate, fit my hand perfectly (not the block that the older P series pistols were), but it was quite unreliable. So, my experiences with them are mixed, so I might not be able to ignore that and go with the reputation. Also, being discontinued, it is inevitable that eventually Ruger will run out of parts and stop supporting the pistol.

S&W:
The SD9VE is supposed to be a great gun. I haven't had one, but it is hard to find anyone with anything negative to say about anything other than the trigger. The size is a good intermediate size which makes it good for the range, and good for most carry needs. The big issue is the trigger, but with the Apex trigger that can be changed (and you end up with a great pistol with a great trigger for not a lot of money).

I don't see myself ever buying another Ruger P-series unless I come across an incredible deal that I just can't pass up on a P90. However, while I have no need for it, I'll very possibly end up with an SD9VE or SD40VE and Apex trigger. So, my vote is the S&W.

kymasabe

I used to have the Ruger, i do now own the SD9, and i put the $20 Apex spring kit in it, and transformed an adequate gun into a really nice gun. Buy the SD9, you won't be disappointed.

tallball

I very much like the Ruger P series. They are dirt cheap right now. I got a nice one for under $200 recently and like it a lot.

ScaryWoody

The Rugers are built like tanks but heavy for CCW. The Smiths are more suited for carry. I'd go S&W Shield. I have the 45 which rocks.

Siggy-06

Ruger P95, because I've had one before. Easy take down, decent trigger, 15+1 capacity, and super solid. They are a bit heavy and bulky, but for the range or home defense, they're a great option.

T. O'Heir

The Ruger P95 was discontinued in 2013. The Smith is not. A Smith mag runs about $30. About $35 for a Ruger mag. However, how well one or the other fits your hand is more important.

Mackie244Bud

S&W SD9VE:

Hickok45: (5 years ago-2013)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cleMs8xmqc

Sootch00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1OEL5LI26Q

Ruger P95:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSL1-j8LUBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv0r9PtyAjw

It doesn't look like there are big negatives around youtube (or here for that matter) on either gun.
I think coming here to get some first hand experiences with either gun is the smart thing to do..
After that (if you have not already done so) is to get them into your hands and then if you can, find somewhere that you can rent them and shoot each one.
I'm sure after that YOU will know which gun you like.
Or be even more confused. LOL

I will say that one thing that was said about the P95 in numerous video reviews was pointing out that it was NOT a good Carry gun.
One negative for carrying is that it has so many edges it gets caught on clothing...
So you don't want to be fumbling to get it out in a Life and Death moment.
You do not say whether you are planning on carrying your final choice or they are both intended for just the range and home.

In summary I would point out that the Ruger is discontinued and the S&W is still in production...
for however that plays into your decision..if anything.
The S&W is better for Carry.
and the most important part....which one YOU like best...

I do hope that everyone here as well as the numerous video reviews on youtube has helped you in some small way to make up your mind or at least point you in the right direction.

Good luck and enjoy your new gun!
I love getting a new gun!
I'm waiting on the Sig Sauer P365 myself...
I see one in my future..
I just have to wait for shelves to get stocked, causing everything to settle down and the price drop another hundred $$$.

Mackie244 / Bud

Last edited:

Mosin44az

My P95 DC went 2500 rounds without a malfunction ( although it did NOT like Sellier & Bellot). I regret selling it. After breaking in, the trigger was fine.

My SD9VE, while generally reliable, had a few malfs and a heavy trigger. I don’t miss it, though admit an APEX aftermarket might have helped.

Dufus

I have 4 of the SD9VE and none of the P95.

I like the triggers as they are. I found no need to do the Apex thing.

FrankenMauser

P95.
It will always work. It will always get the job done.
It won't be perfect. But it will work.

The S&W... it might work most of the time, after a few trips back to the factory, and with a plentiful supply of minor parts on hand for stoppages.

Danoobie

P95, hands down. Wouldn't buy a SD9ve with your money. The Ruger has a little weight,
but it's mostly metal, hammer fired, DA/SA, from a line of P-series development.