If you had just one handgun, for what main purpose would it be?

If you had only ONE handgun, it would be for...

• Plinking, recreational shooting

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • Competition, shooting sport of any kind

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Hunting

• Home defense, insurance for bad days to come

Votes: 27 22.7%
  • CCW, self defense

Votes: 66 55.5%
  • Survival, outdoor companion

• Collecting

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

southjk

I find this hard to answer because if I only had to have one gun it would serve multiple purposes not just one.

One handgun can be a HD gun, a carry gun and a plinking/range gun. At least mine would. Which would I do more? I'd use it most at the range but it would still be used for HD/SD.

*NOVA*

OP's question is fair - what is the MAIN purpose. Without hesitation I answered Home Defense - years ago when my wife convinced me we should have a gun, it was for that reason.

TennJed

I think a better question would be "if you were only allowed one use or purpose for guns what would it be". A fantasy question but kinda fun and interesting.

Plinking and range fun for me. The most important part of life is enjoying it

Kirby8604

One gun to rule them all

My choice is Ruger SP101 .357
Main purpose (for me) is plinking, with the possibility of carry.

kln4

I own 4, but only shoot the XD .45 GAP and 40SW. The XD40 is the one I carry and use the most, about 4000 rnds a year. I know it's not a Kimber or other expensive gun and it's not real purdy. But it as never misfired or jamb. I've probably dropped a hundred times, and wait forever to clean but it always fires and I manage to hit center mass every time. Oh, forgot I've only had to replace the barrel twice. I'm on my third barrel since I got it in 2002. I forgot to add I replaced the recoil spring once. :eek:

Last edited:

peacefulgary

I have several handguns, but if I were forced to get rid of all save one, believe it or not, I would keep my Ruger LCP.

It is my carry anywhere handgun....

Suit and tie?
I'm armed.

Just shorts and sandals around the swimming pool?
I'm armed.

PG

Last edited:

publius

Ruger MKII .22. Good for plinking and small game it's no joke if pump 10 rounds of stingers into your chest.

Deaf Smith

If you had just one handgun, for what main purpose would it be?

For CCW self defense, home defense, and field use (in that order.)

Probably my Glock 33 .357 Sig with spare barrel in .40 S&W, 9mm, and a AACK unit in .22 lr.

I'd use the 9mm and .22 for practice, .357 Sig for SD, and the .40 S&W would be for the field (and self defense.)

Deaf

BigJimP

My one gun would be a good 1911 ....for recreational purposes primarily.

.........but if I wanted to carry it, I would.

deputy tom

I voted CCW SD but HD falls under that description for me too. A good 4" .357 mag K-frame could be used for CCW, HD, plinking, hunting and is just versatile. tom. :cool:

jonnyc

Only one handgun?
Definitely something for both CCW and HD, a pistol handy enough to get me to a real gun.

Justice06RR

Its really a mix between CCW/SD and recreational shooting for me. The options limit you to one, so I voted CCW.

For those reasons, some of the favorite handguns I've owned are Glock19, M&P9, and XD9. All of which qualify for both CCW and recreational uses.

Chowder

A 4" L frame .357 of some sort. With the right grips you could conceal carry it, not ideal but you could dress around it. Great for home defense, plinking with .38's, and with enough practice can take down medium game.

This has me thinking... I need to go buy a 4 inch .357 to go with my model 18.