If you had a choice between S&W 64 or 67

Viper99

Hello all, Ready for my 2nd revolver.

My LGS has 2 S&W model 64-3 in very good condition for $450 and a 67-1 also in very good condition (plastic grips) for $549. I can probably get it for $25 less out the door.

Which one of these 2 models is the better buy and why?

Regards to all.

KMAX

What kind of grips does the 64 have? Do you prefer fixed or adjustable sights? If the condition of both are about the same, I would say it is a toss up.

BigJimP

Of those 2 options, I'd take the model 67 ( but in reality, I'd wait until I could find a model 66 instead ....357 mag )...

Viper99

BigJimP

That is my dilemma. My only revolver is a model 19 in mint condition that I bought from the same dealer. I been patiently waiting for a model 66 or 686 but got attracted to these because of their condition.

I guess that yet another question. Im I better off waiting for the model 66 since I prefer to be able to fire both .357 and .38 special?

Last edited:

MrBorland

Unless the 64 has a 3" barrel, I vote for the 67.

Im I better off waiting for the model 66 since I prefer to be able to fire both .357 and .38 special?

Most people seem to shoot far more .38 than .357mag in their .357mag revolver, so unless you're adamant about shooting .357mag (doesn't sound like you are), going with a quality .38spl revolver isn't necessarily an unwise decision, IMO.

jglsprings

Which one of these 2 models is the better buy and why?

WOW!! I can't get over what people are charging for these K frame 38s now days!

The fact that there are litteraly 10s of millions of those 64s and millions and millions of 67s running around has nothing to do with the current market value!

Anyway, the old fart will stop ranting about the old days and say....

I like my 67 better. The 64 is a great gun, and like was said above, if they are in the same or near same condition get the one you like best. One isn't any "better" than the other. It is all about the features you find most appealing.

And just like a proud father, I'll show you a picture of my 67...

4369024750_fe9e5fe173_z.jpg

You will find most 67 owners are fanatical about them!

I guess that yet another question. Im I better off waiting for the model 66 since I prefer to be able to fire both .357 and .38 special?

Oh, you will wind up with one of each...

6240522001_e7ce443c9e_z.jpg

Last edited:

Viper99

They all have 4 inch barrels.

And yes, I will probably end up with one of each. The model 67 is pretty close to that condition but not as good.

Can you fire +P out of these guys?

jglsprings

Can you fire +P out of these guys?

If they are stamped with a model number on the yoke you can. We aren't talking about "victory" model 10s or anything here.

The model 67 is pretty close to that condition but not as good.

Oh, mine didn't come to me that way! This is the "before":

4365752793_4a6c57137d_z.jpg

Last edited:

Sevens

I used to believe that I really needed adjustable sights... but I've found over the years, for what I enjoy actually doing with the revolvers, that it's just not all that important. However, I do much prefer the actual view/sight picture that I get from the original S&W adjustable sights than I get from the fixed ones.

So I would choose the 67 if everything else were equal.

There's almost -ZERO- chance that "everything else is equal." So if both were sitting in front of me with similar prices, I'd be looking & feeling for the double action smoothness and especially the natural timing and cylinder advance.

To me, the timing means... probably... far more than it "should" or "needs" to actually mean. It's just a 'me' thing. I want to see that cylinder advance and lock up as evenly and consistently on each of the six double action pulls. If you very closely inspect your S&W revolvers, you'll find that it's not as "perfect" as you may have thought or hoped if you haven't really studied it.

To reiterate, it likely does NOT need to be as "perfect" as I like it. It's just a hang-up I have. I don't kick them to the curb if they aren't perfect, but if I'm comparing two of them, that's a major thing that I'm looking at.

Duke City Six

I have a 64 no dash. It was my first gun.

I like fixed sight revolvers. The rear sight has no screws, etc. It's rugged. I like the sleek profile. Sure, it's a bit of a gamble at first, but if you get one that shoots to the sights, it's a keeper. And yeah, it's not adjustable and the sight picture may be a little more challenging, but there's just something about the M&P, whether it be the stainless 64 or the good ol' model 10.

Homerboy

I like the heavy barrel of the 64 better then the slimmer one of the 67. And I've owned 2 66's and a 19. Never needed to adjust the sights on either. But the price on that 64 is way high unless it is in almost new condition and has the box.

Viper99

Actually all of them are in very good condition with no visible scratches. The 64 do have the boxes but not the 67.

BigJimP

I's still say wait for the model 66....

I reload so ammo cost isn't a big factor to me ( its about $ 8.50 per box of .357 mag for me) / and I shoot .357 mag 99% of the time ( I load .38 spl ) for some of the younger grandkids using the same bullet ( 158 gr JHP Montana Gold bullet )....

but I like the versatility of the model 19's, 66's in K frames ...686's in L frames ...and model 27's and 28's in N frames...in .357 mag...

but everybody should buy and shoot whatever they want...