If you could only own one handgun . . . .

stevieboy

what would it be? I know, many of you will react to this by saying that the question is ridiculous, but I'd still like to know. So, use your imaginations! What would it be and why?

I'll start things off by saying that it would be a very tough choice for me but that if I had to make it I would choose my Smith & Wesson Model 27-3 4". It would beat out my second choice, my CZ 75B SA, by the smallest of margins.

Why would I choose the 27? Because it is, for me, the perfect handgun. Although not quite as glamorous as its predecesser model, the 27-2, my 27-3 has all of the features I'd ever want. It's beautifully constructed, and beautiful, too, has a wonderful trigger, balances wonderfully, and can -- and does -- fire the hottest magnum rounds without difficulty. It's also almost eerily accurate and it can handle ammo from very from every manufacturer, without FTFs or any other problem.

Yes, it's a lot of metal and wouldn't make a great carry piece. But, to be honest, my carry guns -- like my S & W Model 36 -- are just too tiny to qualify as the "one gun to have." I can't use my 36 as a general range/hunting gun as I could with my 27. The bigger revolver is just more versatile than my little pocket 36. So, if push came to shove, I'd make due with the 27.

ScottRiqui

Well, I don't hunt and I can take anything to the range, so for me, carryability/concealability is the "long pole in the tent". So my choice would be my Springfield EMP .40 S&W. Adequate punch, and it practically disappears in a good IWB or OWB holster.

BerettaBuckeye

One gun from my collection? It would be my S&W 3" model 66. Ability to use both .38 Special and .357 Magnum ammo. Good carry, HD and range gun. Great trigger. Adjustable sights for various ammo. What's not to like?

Nasty

Certainly not my first choice as far as aesthetics, accuracy, reliability, longevity or feel....but it would be my Glock 27.

I should mention that I have it already set up to convert from .40 to 9m/m, 357 Sig and .22 l/r.

It will fill any handgun role *to some degree* and the multiple calibers make it my obvious choice.

I know...it's a cheat. It's not like I'd be following their rules if anyone ever told me I had to have only one anyway, eh?

skydiver3346

Only one handgun?

That's easy for me. The S&W Mod. 19 with 4" brl, (.357mag). I have an older one that is unbelievably accurate (even with .38 specials) and nothing is more reliable in my opinion.
There are other favorites (Wilson Combat 1911s) but you said only one hangun so it would have to be my old trusty model 19......:)

Last edited:

foghorn leghorn

I guess this is wishful thinking, not if you could keep one of the guns you already have.

SigSauer P226 9mm Para if it is one of my existing guns

Wishful thinking a Springfield Armory TRP in Black Armory Kote

golfnutrlv

Easy...My Smith and Wesson M&P full size 9mm.

Utterly reliable, the handgun I shoot the best, chambered in a military/NATO cartridge, adequate for protection and survival, lightweight, and just an all around keeper.

lee n. field

what would it be? I know, many of you will react to this by saying that the question is ridiculous, but I'd still like to know.

That would be me.

This is what you call a frequently asked question. Common fodder on gunboards.

How you answer that depends on how you anticipate being reduced to that dreadful "only one gun" situation, and how you anticipate using your "only one gun".

So, use your imaginations! What would it be and why?

Gabbet-Fairfax Mars.

Last edited:

briandg

There are hundreds of different situations that call for use of a handgun, and whether or not I encounter them, I want one that could be successfully used in as many of them as possible.

A pocket pistol would be a waste in most of those situations. A model 629 or .45 SA revolver would be difficult to carry successfully.

I'm going to have to say my colt trooper .357 magnum in 4" barrel, since it can be carried, reasonably, and it is able to serve as a lethal weapon against man or moderately sized beast. I will be able to keep it in ammunition, which is something I could not say about a .44 or other expensive weapon.

The future is unpredictable, the day may come when I am limited to only a single handgun that I have managed to keep. I'd rather have this and a box of 158 grain full power magnums than anything else.

pythagorean

Something that would last a lot of rounds and be easy to maintain without having to replace parts. Probably a revolver. Should be a standard caliber to have easy access to ammunition. Should be pleasant to shoot. Should have sufficient power for most situations. Shouldn't be too large or too heavy. Should have a reasonable standard of accuracy.
Mixing in all these requirements leaves me with my SW Model 22 in .45 ACP with a 5.5" barrel, the "1917 Classic" reproduced by Smith and Wesson.

kozak6

Probably a versatile single shot like a TC Encore or Contender.

I'm not terribly concerned with defensive applications.

LouisianaMan

From my current collection? Either my Colt Police Positive Special (4" .38SPL), if I determined that I could CCW with it easily enough to suit me. If not, my 2" Detective Special.

I don't CCW yet, but will before too long. In any event, primary purpose of my "only" gun would be HD. I like .38s with 200g LSWC bullets.

Daryl

This question comes up on every gun board on the 'net at least once a month.

Standard answer is:

Just one? Sorry, can't help ya.

'Cause it ain't gonna happen.

Daryl