If you could only have two powders for reloading

hogcowboy

If you was forced to have just two powders for reloading, what would that be? I know they make a lot of different powders now for all kinds of different applications, but if you could only have two. My pick would be Universal and Unique. Those two cover more of what I reload for than any other. Are there any two that would be better. I'm thinking the SHTF type scenario is the reason for the question and I had to grab just two powders. Unique would take are of my pistols and Universal would take care of my shotguns. I could survive with that combination I think. Those two powder have been around for some time, before there were then number we have today. So which two did people use way back there?

mikld

Since my go-to guns are .44 magnum (20'' carbine and Super Blackhawk) I'd grab 2 lbs. of Unque.

Rifleman1776

I have narrowed down to H110 pistol and H414 rifle.
But, I cheat. :rolleyes:
Not really reloading but black powder for most of my shooting. ;)

IMR4064 for 22/250, 307, 308, 30/06, 30/30, while not optimum for the 270 or 280 it can be used in a pinch, W231 is my choice for 45ACP! William

NWPilgrim

Unique would be perfect except for the poor metering I get from it, so probably Bullseye for handguns. I haven't actually tried Bullseye yet (still using W231 and Unique/Universal), but all of my recent research indicates Bullseye is a good powder for almost anything. It won't get top velocities in some cartridges but it appears to be excellent to good in nearly everything I have: .38 Special, 9x18 Mak, 9mm Luger, .40S&W, .45ACP. The same can be said for W231.

For rifle I could get by with any one of the mid-range powders such as H4895, Varget, TAC since I mainly load for .223, .308 and M1 Garand .30-06. H4895 would be less optimal but still useful for .30-30 and 6.5x55.

The only cartridge of mine that would be left out is .30 Carbine which needs a magnum handgun powder like W296, AA9, or 2400.

In the real world, I like to use a few powders to cover the entire spectrum from W231 to Power Pistol to W296. Rifle powders I use are pretty much in the IMR3031 to H4350 range. But it is nice to have extra stocks of those "one only powders" like Unique or H4895 to be able to cover new situations or cartridges until you can fine an optimal powder, or in case you run out of your favorite special powder.

Sevens

I was going to say Power Pistol and 2400, but I could probably take Universal in place of Power Pistol and have a slightly better range of use.

I'm a handgun guy... so I can get by without any of the really fast burning powders, but I need a good medium and I need a good slow, so Universal and 2400 would keep me covered.

WESHOOT2

two from my twenty-something; hmmmm......

HANDGUN ONLY:

Alliant Power Pistol and Winchester 296 (my older lots, please).

wncchester

I wonder why we have these hypothetical "if you only had....." things. We do have more choices, why not use the proper ones?

hogcowboy

Nothing hypothetical about it. I'm looking for the fewest powders and already there is one that I had not considered. Thank you very much.

Sarge

Larry, I had a 5 gallon bucket of part cans of rifle & pistol powder, which an older brother had given me. I thought it as great when I received them, but I ran myself nuts digging up data, trying loads and adjusting sights or scopes.

I had kept running notes on what gave good accuracy and velocity. I hadn't worked extensively with either of them prior to the 'powder windfall' but those are the two that rose to the top of the heap. I understand your quest- I am very happy to stock only those two main powders. A can of W296 loads all the heavy .45 Colt I'll shoot for a long time because those are solely hunting loads.

Crosshair

I also would choose W231 for pistols and H4895 for rifles if I could ONLY have 2. However I use mostly Titegroup for my handgun loads because you don't need much per round. W231 is much better for BOTH plinking and magnum loads, where Titegroup isn't so good for magnum loads with heavy bullets.