If you could go back in time

Amin Parker

Hi guys,

My first gun was a Star 30m. I had a look at many before i made my decision. These days it mostly sits in the safe because its really had a hard life.

If i could go back in time knowing what i know now, i would have probably bought a Hi Power of some sort as my first. During my wonderful journey of handguns i have learnt a lot, one of them is that single action pistols are indeed my prefered type of pistol.

If you guys could make your first purchase all over again, what will change if any?

joegator

Many years ago being an Ithaca fan I was in the market for my first shotgun. I narrowed it down the the Model 51 auto and the Model 37 pump.

I bought the Model 51 which is now broken and nobody has parts including the new Ithaca company. You can't imagine how many times I've said "Why didn't I get the 37 pump?" Ya, thats my biggest reqret.

aarondhgraham

Oh wow,,, the old "If I'd only had a brain" scenario,,,

As a kid all I could afford were military surplus rifles from Alden's Catalog,,,
And the occasional beater handgun from a garage sale or auction,,,
Up until my late 40's my wife and her horses kept me broke.

My first handgun purchase that was thought out is not one I would change,,,
A near NIB Smith & Wesson Model 15 Combat Masterpiece,,,
Her name is Stella and she's still my favorite.

stella-lr.jpg

Since than I have been gathering a small collection of nice handguns,,,
Only two were purchased that I later regretted,,,
But I peddled the two Taurus revolvers,,,
So life goes on and all is well. :D

The only real firearm regret that I have from my youth,,,
Is giving my younger brother my first .22 rifle,,,
Model 1890 Winchester pump in .22 short,,,
I believe he traded it for a bag of weed.

I've still got the first handgun I ever bought,,,
Paid $5.00 for it at a garage sale,,,
sns-l.jpg

Awe inspiring ain't it.

Aarond

glockcompact

My only real regret was selling my 4" S&W 686. I miss that pistol. I've bought and sold quite a few weapons and I don't really regret any others because they helped me find out what I like and don't like in a weapon.

I would have probably gotten the 1911 as my first if I went back in time.

The Browning Hi-power is now my family heirloom that was given to me by my old man.

redsrtturbo

I would have bought a Hi Power-

I spent almost as much on an xD-m at the local gun store, although it is a good gun with a large magazine capacity, it is not as perfect.

BHP-Steel gun feels much much better.

BHP-Trigger reach is perfect.

BHP-Ergonomics of the grip are almost perfect.

Magazine capacity is enough for target practice rounds where I load 10 and I don't think I will ever need 19 rounds to defend myself because to this day, I've never even been in an altercation, I can't carry in my state, AND I have a shotgun for the home.

If I would have thought it all through and planned it out I would probably have the BHP now instead of looking at it the the store glass.

hoytinak

Nothing would change for me. I did my research and saved for a while in order to get my first handgun, a HK USP Compact 9mm....it's still my favorite to this day. :)

proxpilot

first i would have bought Google and Apple stock, invented Facebook, never sold my 1968 Camaro to buy a house. figued out a way so i didnt have to sell a couple of my guns that i didnt want to. never bought my p220 even though it was a really nice gun i should have bought a nice 1911 instead

Sport45

If I could go back in time I'd buy one of the cheap, surplus 1911's.

No, on second thought, I'd buy a bunch of cheap, surplus 1911's. :)

Edward429451

I bought a new MK IV Series 80 45 as my first pistol and it's never let me down. I still have it and carry it. I've bought plenty of handguns since buying my first new one in 1984 and knowing what I know now, if I went back in time, I would buy the same pistol.

sdj

If I could go back in time...

I'd go back to 1911. :D (With a suitcase full of antibiotics).

On a more serious note, rather than go for the S&W625JM, I'd have opted for a SW1911, model 108285.

Attachments

• 108285_01_md.jpg
    108285_01_md.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 13

huntinaz

Actual: Llama micromax .380 ACP. NEAT looking pistol, fit my had great, I could conceal it easily...well it was a hunk of junk basically. Would jam often, especially the last round. Also I wouldn't have bought a 380 for various reasons.

I should have bought any number of pistols, including:

Ruger 357 revolver, almost any model: GP100, Service or Security Six, SP101 I don't think was available yet...

Smith 357 revolver, almost any model...

Smith or Glock 9mm

Any of those guns would have made me happier and would still be functional. Live and learn I guess. No more Llamas is my future.

tony pasley

Go back in time to 1875 with my entire paycheck and an empty siutcase and bring back all the colt SAAs I could get then sell all but 2 retire and buy the rest of the handgun I like.

TXAZ

If I could go back in time...

Microsoft at 17 cents per share instead of the AKM in 1987. I love the AKM, but "If I could go back..." I'd now own the AKM and 1 of every other US weapon made..... and have 1/2 a million left over.
Oh well, it was nice to fantasize for a couple of seconds... :)

shurshot

If I could go back in time, right now I would be a Dentist!

Oh, handguns; I would have bought several Colt Pythons and Bren Tens back in the 80's. Then today, after selling them for a hefty sum, I would have a nice pocket full of money to buy ammo for my .22's and others.

My first handgun was a RIA .38super 1911, and a POS it was. I had to put in at least 200$ in parts to get it to function 100% with Ball ammo, still no JHP. This gun (no trigger work) even went full auto several times untill I replaced the trigger parts. I also have added a 9mm barrel and a beveled mag well. This gun isn't even recognisable with its Wilson and S&W parts. Now it shoots well, but only with heavy 147gr ball 9mm:( 115gr doesn't shoot well in the 9mm barrel I have (which was very cheap, who is complaning). The only original parts are the frame and slide.

I now love this gun as my first pistol, it has lots of sentimental value being the first gun I also built. :D

SPUSCG

Id show JMB the highrise beavertail grip safety, extended saety, lowered and flared ejection port, polished feed ramp throated barrel and novak/heine sights. Then the perfect gun would have been made in 1911.

Mattel Shootin Shell Rifle. I was young.

I would go back in time and not take out all the oraments on my parents Christmas Tree. They might have been more sympathetic to my love of guns. To the younger guys here..... It was a spring loaded cartridge that propelled plastic bullets. Try to find something like that today at Toys are US. I think I was only 9 years old at the time. Opps.....